WERE YOU THERE IN 1975?

by badboy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• dostprefer
    dostprefer

1975 proved to be one of many tests that finished off many and that still do. Sadly, jumping to conclusions created a 'living death' for some whose bitterness still surfaces on these pages. What did happen is that many initially came to believe, albeit tentatively, that they would live forever on a paradise earth. But in their case it failed a strength test. A failure to set their minds to it, which is tough because nobody else can do that for us. The pain expressed ,sometimes crudely, sometimes eloquently in postings, is really about the inevitability of physical death with no seeable prospects beyond that. Don't they call it 'End of LIfe Scenario'?

Which all of us must face up to. But using slings and arrows to express one's disappointments in life becomes a sideshow, a diversion ,an expression of deniial

On this forum one is reminded of Thoreau's observation that "the majority of mankind lead lives of quiet desperation', although 'quiet' does not accurately describe many postings There seems to be a denial of that basic truth in postings..

Most Witnesses during the 70's, did not abandon their composure even though some may have stumbled a bit. They have become stronger and have learned not to blame others for misfortune, mistakes or misunderstandings.

Happiness is not proved by photos of ourselves as 'strong' or 'happy' people or by tirades and displays of bravado. Doesn't it come from inside oneself? For complainers of their lot in life such happiness is produced stillborn. One has the body but not the life. Harsh critics would recommend 'get yourself a life'. A kindlier encouragement would be 'return to the shepherd of your souls'

• onacruse
    onacruse

Baptized in '62, so, yeah, I was there, for the "non-event" of the millenium.

But also remember much earlier we used to have 8 days assemblies & the sessions ended at 9.p.m does anyone remember that?

LOL...oh yeah--call me a masochist, but I loved those all-nighters and the 3-day (start Friday evening) circuit assemblies, before there were assembly halls? Us young-and-up-coming males would thrill at getting out of school, driving down to Central Hall, going into the basement, getting out all the cooking and public address equipment, loading it up on trucks, hauling it 70 miles to whatever school (usually) the WTS had lined up for the assembly, setting everything up, and being ready to sit in our seats for the 6:00 pm session to start. Then, as soon as the Sunday session ended, running out to fold up the chairs, sell the flowers, disassemble the platform, get everything back to Central Hall, and home by midnight...ready for school the next morning.

Gracie, I don't know whether to thank you or slap you for bringing back such memories! LOL

But, after all, for better or worse, that was the way it was then.

Now life is much better, and much much clearer.

Craigster

• Buster
    Buster

I was there. I was baptised in '74 and was a Junior in High School the fall of '75. I remember preaching in school, to friends as the 'Big A' approached. I remember feeling slightly slimy as the tone of the KH talks turned to 'Are you serving just for the reward.'

Funny thing though, I don't remember ever having thoughts about it during the latter half of 1975. Not one memory of thinking, "Aren't we supposed to gleefully starving and being tortured while looking forward to our tormentor's destruction?" Strangest thing.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Gracie, I don't know whether to thank you or slap you for bringing back such memories! LOL

No Please no slapping!!!Thank me for being there at the same time as you was > two nuts!!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I was there, but I was only 7 years old, so I don't remember too much about that time.

• AlanF
    AlanF

dostprefer said:

: 1975 proved to be one of many tests

Tests? Certainly not from God, as you want to imply. According to the Bible, God doesn't test his servants with evil things like allowing people who truly speak in his name to make false predictions.

: that finished off many and that still do.

You're a master of understatement.

: Sadly, jumping to conclusions

No one jumped to conclusions about 1975. The Society stated, in so many words that could not be misunderstood, that 1975 would definitely bring Armageddon. Sure, they made a few cautionary statements, but what was a truly believing JW supposed to do? Obviously, interpret the cautionary statements as ass-covering, but the definite ones as definite. And to go along with things like the 1968 six-month Bible study program, which was instituted because the time until 1975 was "so short".

: created a 'living death' for some whose bitterness still surfaces on these pages.

Most people have gotten over the emotional pain by now. But they remember this: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

: What did happen is that many initially came to believe, albeit tentatively, that they would live forever on a paradise earth.

Such belief is not the least bit "tentative". On the contrary, it's a fundamental belief of Jehovah's Witnesses.

: But in their case it failed a strength test. A failure to set their minds to it, which is tough because nobody else can do that for us.

Hmm. A person is taught by a cult that the Bible sets out a hope of living forever on a paradise earth, then the cult teaches that the Bible predicts a date by which the hope is to be fulfilled, then the date passes without anything happening, and some people decide that the hope, like the prediction, was nonsense. This is a problem? What am I missing?

: The pain expressed ,sometimes crudely, sometimes eloquently in postings, is really about the inevitability of physical death with no seeable prospects beyond that.

Not at all. That's a separate topic altogether. The pain expressed is largely about the realization that once-respected religious leaders have lied to you.

: Don't they call it 'End of LIfe Scenario'?

I suppose some do. But for many of us on this forum, there is no fear of death. Death has been an inevitable part of life for several billion years. Nothing can be done about it. Religious hopes, while comforting to believers, don't change that.

: Which all of us must face up to. But using slings and arrows to express one's disappointments in life becomes a sideshow, a diversion ,an expression of deniial

I'm sure that readers can see why your "analysis" of their motives is another of your straw men.

: On this forum one is reminded of Thoreau's observation that "the majority of mankind lead lives of quiet desperation', although 'quiet' does not accurately describe many postings There seems to be a denial of that basic truth in postings..

Not at all. It is you who have missed the point of most postings.

: Most Witnesses during the 70's, did not abandon their composure even though some may have stumbled a bit. They have become stronger and have learned not to blame others for misfortune, mistakes or misunderstandings.

As I pointed out to you in another thread about 1975 ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/85800/4.ashx ), the real reason for maintaining "composure" is well described by Leon Festinger in his book When Prophecy Fails: it's more painful for the cult member to abandon the cult than to admit of the failure and do something else.

: Happiness is not proved by photos of ourselves as 'strong' or 'happy' people or by tirades and displays of bravado. Doesn't it come from inside oneself? For complainers of their lot in life such happiness is produced stillborn. One has the body but not the life. Harsh critics would recommend 'get yourself a life'. A kindlier encouragement would be 'return to the shepherd of your souls'

A better statement of why intelligent ex-JWs should never "return to the vomit" would be difficult to find. I'll leave it to others to comment on why.

AlanF

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I was there, 1975 was a biggie in the small desert town I was in. Few JW's in our small town and our CO was so sure the end was coming he sold his lucrative business, house, autos, and all his worldly possessions and got ready for the big A...........he left town when it didn't come, in fact left the state to rebuild his masses and out of embarrassment. He stayed a JW but not so active these days. It was a big deal in our little community of JW's I remember lots and lots of discussions at small gatherings about it.

Let's see I had a baby in '72, '74, '76, '77 and '80........."woe to the pregnant women"........used to scare the pejeebers outa me!

Like someone else said don't let the JW's of today tell you it weren't a big deal, it was!

Kate (of the still waiting class)

• joelbear
    joelbear

In 1975 I made a major break from my raising to attend a special program for gifted students that summer. I remember my mother saying, "Aren't you afraid Armageddon will come while you are there."

I had researched enough to see that there was no way that all the things that were supposed to happen before armageddon were going to happen before that summer. So, I took my chances and went and had a blast.

I didn't leave the witnesses for 13 more years.

When I was a kid I counted on my fingers how old I would be in 1975. 17. My nieces have children 17 now and I'm 47.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

was serving at Bethel in 1975.......wonder why we left to have a family?

I don't, I just wonder why it took so long to "wake up".

• badboy
    badboy

tHANKS EVERYONE for your input.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit