A little more about me

by Ticker 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Ticker
    Ticker

Thanks for the posts and for reading.

To answer your question Low-Key, generally yes they discourage having children in this time of the end as they put it.

Their have been many articles promoting putting off having children till the new system and even encouraging singleness so that they may focus their time on more important matters as pioneering, etc.. In the last four years im not sure if they still publish such words but the general spirit among witnesses(at least in my area) is to have children now is foolish. I had tried to reason with ones who expressed these words to me, even showing biblical proof counter to their reasoning but to no avail, the watchtower was held precident and extended above the authority of the bible. This I could not support and never agreed with it.

I know in the congregation at my current residence their were no couples with any young children, one couple had moved in that had a small child but they quickly left after a short period. The married couples locally here and elsewhere as I have heard time and again say "Were going to put off having children until the new system" or "it would be cruel to bring a baby into this wicked world". I think because of certain published statements by the watchtower even though highly lacking any biblical support have started a trend or a general spirit of the group that having children is looked down on. If this is only on a local or international scale I am unsure but I would tend to think this line of thinking extends outward toword all branches of the organization, starting centrally with the writing commitee and the body. Wether they realize as to what warped effect it is causing and how it is actually in contrast to God's loving gift of children, one can only guess. Looking at the fruitage produced by such thinking though can clearly expose the attitude shown, do they really show true love by discouraging a natural gift from God to all humans, or is the fruitage rotten and the branch ready to be hurled into the fire?

Im not sure to the exact reason why they do not promote the naturality of raising children but I believe it may be strongly linked to keeping ones time open and uncomitted. This way it possibly increases the chances of you pioneering or choosing to attend bethel, which would be more advantagous to their ends then you staying at home and raising children. People who genuinly desired children and put it off based on false reasoning have been deeply hurt and sorry once thoese years are gone. You cant get thoese years back and I can understand their pain in knowing they gave up having children based on unfounded exagerations. One can only hope that this general feeling among the witnesses will soon die off as time passes but I feel it will not come anytime quick.

This line of reasoning is not a new one to the watchtower society, Russel had poor marital relations and largely remained celibate from his wife as their marriage disintegrated. Rutherford also followed in these footsteps with having poor marital relations but he in fact did have a son, which seems puzzling since he was the largest opponent against marriage and children. He wrote a book called "Children", it basically stated to put off having children or even marriage until the new system and the return of Ancient worthies. Its based on a fictional couple engaged but puting off marriage until the new system. It actually states "We can well defer our marriage until lasting peace comes to the earth. Now we must add nothing to our burdens, but be free and equiped to serve the Lord. When the Theocracy is in full sway it will not be burdonsome to have a family." Also in a talk entitled "Fill the Earth" he pointed at Noah's three sons not procreating till two years after the flood, then applying it to the great crowd class, basically dont have kids till the new system. He stated "Would it be scripturally proper for them to now marry and to begin to rear children? No is the answer, which is supported by the scriptures." I woud like to ask what scriptures support that reasoning? None but I will admit singleness is mentioned in the bible in a good light, but only if it is chosen by the individual and if their circumstances permit, marriage was definatly not discouraged as nor was child bearing. Even Jesus scolded the apostles for hampering the childrens efforts to see him, childeren were of high value and not something to be cast aside in effort to further ones spirituality. Also correct me if im wrong but nowhere in the bible is procreation mentioned in link with the new world so I reasoned as a witness that it would be wise to have children now as we desired and If child bearing occurs in the future system we would have more. I viewed the "be fruitful and become many" as part of Gods purpose for the present condition but that he could possibly have different plans in the future. Sadly the previoiusly stated thinking even extends down to the present day at least in my area.

Anyway thanks again,

Ticker

I could never accept such reasoning even as a witness, I made it my own personal decision to have children,

• Ticker
    Ticker

P.S. Im not sure as to if this is a local thinking or encompasses the whole organization as Unique 1 stated "We are the only couple without children". I would still tend to believe that child rearing is not highly encouraged throughout the organization. The ones often advancing through the ranks are the ones who are childless and pioneer, basically career minded people, the organization becomes their company in which they vigourasly try to climb the ladder. This thinking is far more supported by the watchtower then having and raising children is.

Yeah Unique I wish it would have been like that here, everyone here is so harsh towords children, it would have been a breath of fresh air to have been in your congregation. But then again, I would much sooner experience what I had then to continue to battle with my feelings, the mindset of the elder body, and the general lack of compassion among the organization. Cant believe they leave you out because your single lol You cant seem to win on either side with them.

Ticker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit