Are there any 'true' churches ?

by Qcmbr 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Let's phrase this another way and see if it makes sense.

"Are there any true trees?"

There are lots of trees. Some are good for shade, others for lumber. There are tall and wide and delicate trees. Should there be only One Perfect Tree? Or are we better off celebrating them all?

• trevor
    trevor

The search for truth is a personal responsibility and sometimes the conclusions reached may not be the ones we had hoped for. It is sometimes easier to believe what we want to, rather than face reality. Reality is not always agreeable, but it is always truthful. There is truth in love. There is truth in the silent witness of nature, for it never lies, it simply is and always will be.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Judges 9:8-15

One day the trees went out to anoint a king for themselves. They said to the olive tree, 'Be our king.'
    "But the olive tree answered, 'Should I give up my oil, by which both gods and men are honored, to hold sway over the trees?'
    "Next, the trees said to the fig tree, 'Come and be our king.'
    "But the fig tree replied, 'Should I give up my fruit, so good and sweet, to hold sway over the trees?'
    "Then the trees said to the vine, 'Come and be our king.'
    "But the vine answered, 'Should I give up my wine, which cheers both gods and men, to hold sway over the trees?'
    "Finally all the trees said to the thornbush, 'Come and be our king.'
    "The thornbush said to the trees, 'If you really want to anoint me king over you, come and take refuge in my shade; but if not, then let fire come out of the thornbush and consume the cedars of Lebanon!'

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I think the scriptures state it so simply:

John 14:6
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Follow his example of service and loving your fellow human being and I would think that one has found the real TRUTH.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Double Edge,

Follow his example of service and loving your fellow human being and I would think that one has found the real TRUTH

is what you said, but Jesus is the truth. The truth is not the church. by following His example and loving your fellow human being you MAY be included as one person in the true church.

Example: Pastor there is someone chewing gum in the sanctuary. Pastor says, actually young lady, the church is chewing gum in the sanctuary.

michelle

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Let me be clearer. Jesus said that "He" is the WAY the TRUTH and the LIFE. In other words, HE, His life, is the pattern that we all should follow. A Church or congregation may or may not have doctrines that follow His example. The TRUE "church", for me would be "people" trying their best to keep the commandments and follow HIM, whether they be Catholic, Baptist, Lutheren, Morman, or whatever. "Churches" are only organizations who only try to facilitate a person on their journey in life to follow the example of the real TRUTH - Jesus Christ.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Double Edge,

Do you understand that there is a BIG difference in Jesus' way(kindness/love etc.) being the way we are to live our lives and Jesus saying He is the Way?

michelle

• poppers
    poppers

Truth is not something objective that can be quantified and examined by the intellect or believed in by the ego except as a concept. That which the concept of truth refers to is beyond the capacity of the thinking mind to grasp and explain. It can be seen but never communicated to an 'other' so that they see it too. Its realization can only be discovered by directing the search within the one who searches for truth. Discover who this 'person' is who would seek truth and truth will be revealed.

• myelaine
    myelaine

poppers,

you say: It can be seen but never communicated to an 'other' so that they see it too.

This is the express job of the Holy Spirit. But the helper, the Holy Spirit, which the Father will send in my name, That one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you. (this shows God working with our intellect not our ego)John 14:26 and The Spirit itself bears witness with OUR spirit that WE are God's children.(this shows God's ability to communicate His truth to many people) Romans 8:16. These works of the Holy Spirit are, infact, the very way that God brings about unity within the body of Christ or the true church.

michelle

• jgnat
    jgnat

Like my pastor used to say, "You don't become a car by sitting in a garage." The church is just the shell. Being a Christian is a whole other thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit