Is it appropriate for a women JW to wear..................

by HEAVENS DESTINY 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• HEAVENS DESTINY
    HEAVENS DESTINY

Never was a JW but studied for years. Is it appropriate for a JW female to wear a nose ring or maybe have a visable tatoo that maybe she cant take off do to $$$$$.

• Dustin
    Dustin

They would make you get rid of the nose ring right away. They would make you cover up the tat if possible. If you couldn't cover it up you would be treated like crap until you removed it. At least that's how it would worl in central Wisconsin.

Dustin

• Brummie
    Brummie

In England most JW women would not wear a nose ring since they would be looked down upon! Having a visible tatoo is ok as long as it was put on before the person became a JW. It certainly wouldnt be good for the JW if they had it put on after becoming a JW.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

It may be OK now, but when I was "in" nose rings and tattoos were big no-no's. Having certain piercings, beards, tattoos, funky hair colors, would identify you as being "part of the world" .

Having your ears pierced was ok though...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

(Genesis 24:45-47) "Before I was finished speaking in my heart, why, there was Re·bek´ah coming out, with her jar upon her shoulder; and she made her way down to the fountain and began to draw water. Then I said to her, ?Give me a drink, please.? 46So she quickly lowered her jar from off her and said, ?Take a drink, and I shall also water your camels.? Then I took a drink, and she also watered the camels. 47 After that I asked her and said, ?Whose daughter are you?? to which she said, ?The daughter of Be·thu´el the son of Na´hor, whom Mil´cah bore to him.? Accordingly I put the nose ring on her nostril and the bracelets on her hands.

The WTS considers Rebekah to be a JW and she wore a nose ring. She was given the nose ring on behalf of Abraham, God's friend and God made sure it was recorded so all women will know it is acceptable to wear a nose ring.

Kwin

• Preston
    Preston

Prince Alberts are OK if they're not visible.

- Preston

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Certainly a nose ring would be looked down on in the west. The problem is the 'spirtual thought police' (elders) have no concept of culture beyond the dictates of the WTB&TS.

I remember an elders meeting where they wanted to counsel a sister for wearing a crop top in public (thus exposing her belly). They were deadly serious about it too. I pointed out that if they counselled this sister, then to be fair, they would have go to the Gujariti Assembly at the weekend (we have quite a few ethnic Indians in UK) and counsel the sisters there for wearing saris (which also expose the belly). I think it rather confused the those who wanted to 'counsel' this poor sister and the matter was reluctantly dropped.

Eyeslice

• JH
    JH

Is it ok to wear low waist jeans? Not in Virginia...

I saw on TV, not too long ago, that it was prohibited to wear low waist jeans, somewhere in the States. There was a cop going around giving fines to women dressed that way. I forget where that was in the US.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1339050/posts

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Preston - you're a wag!

But what a co-incidence - I had this stange dream about going through airport security last night and setting off the metal detector alarms due to having metallic piercings. And, before you ask - I don't have a Prince Albert - the very thought bring tears to my eyes.

Eyeslice

• blondie
    blondie

Tattoos were discussed in this article:

g03 9/22 pp. 25-27Young People Ask . . .Should I Get a Tattoo?

"Some tattoos are cute. They are very artistic."?Jalene.

"I dreamed about my first tattoo for two years."?Michelle.

TATTOOS are everywhere?or so it seems. Rock stars, sports figures, fashion models, and movie stars flaunt them. Many teenagers have followed suit, proudly displaying tattoos on their shoulders, hands, waists, and ankles. Andrew contends: "Tattoos are cool. Having one or not is a personal choice."

Says the World Book Encyclopedia: "Tattooing is the practice of making permanent designs on the body. It is done by pricking small holes in the skin with a sharpened stick, bone, or needle that has been dipped in pigments with natural colors."

Although exact statistics are hard to come by, one source estimates that 25 percent of all 15- to 25-year-olds in the United States have a tattoo. Sandy says: "It?s the popular thing to do." Why are tattoos so appealing to some youths?

Why

So Popular?

For some, a tattoo is a way of making a grand romantic gesture. Michelle relates: "On his ankle my brother has the name of a girl he used to go out with." The problem? "He?s not dating her anymore." According to Teen magazine, "doctors estimate that more than 30 percent of all tattoo removal is done on teen girls who want the name of an ex-boyfriend taken off."

Some youths view tattoos as works of art. Others see them as symbols of independence. "I?m in charge of my life," proclaimed Josie, adding that getting a tattoo was "the only life decision I?ve ever made." Tattooing allows some youths to experiment?to feel they have control over their appearance. Tattoos can also serve as a symbol of rebellion or of alternative life-styles. Some tattoos thus contain obscene words and drawings or provocative slogans.

The majority of youths, however, may simply have become caught up in a fad. But just because it seems as if everyone is getting tattooed, does it mean that you should?

The

Ancient Art of Tattooing

Tattooing is by no means a modern practice. Tattoo-bearing Egyptian and Libyan mummies have been found that date back hundreds of years before the time of Christ. Tattooed mummies have also been found in South America. Many of the tattooed images were directly related to the worship of pagan gods. According to researcher Steve Gilbert, "the earliest known tattoo that is a picture of something, rather than an abstract pattern, represents the god Bes. In Egyptian mythology Bes is the lascivious god of revelry."

Significantly, the Mosaic Law forbade God?s people to tattoo themselves. Said Leviticus 19:28: "You must not make cuts in your flesh for a deceased soul, and you must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah." Pagan worshipers, such as the Egyptians, tattooed the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms. By complying with Jehovah?s ban on tattoo markings, the Israelites would stand out as different from other nations.?Deuteronomy 14:1, 2.

While Christians today are not under the Law of Moses, the prohibition it laid on tattooing is sobering. (Ephesians 2:15; Colossians 2:14, 15) If you are a Christian, you would certainly not want to make markings on your body?even temporarily?that smack of paganism or false worship.?2 Corinthians 6:15-18.Health Risks

There are also health concerns you should consider. Dr. Robert Tomsick, an associate professor of dermatology, comments: "What you?re doing is breaking the skin and introducing pigmented material into the area. Even though the needle only goes in a little way, anytime you break the skin, you have a risk of bacterial or viral infection. I think [getting a tattoo] is generally a risky thing to do." Dr. Tomsick continues: "Once pigment is in, even if there?s no infection, there?s always the chance of contact allergies, dermatitis and allergic reactions that can cause skin to get red, swollen, crusty and itchy."

Despite the intended permanence of tattoos, various methods are used in attempts to remove them: Laser removal (burning the tattoo away), surgical removal (cutting the tattoo away), dermabrasion (sanding the skin with a wire brush to remove the epidermis and dermis), salabrasion (using a salt solution to soak the tattooed skin), and scarification (removing the tattoo with an acid solution and creating a scar in its place). These methods are expensive and can be painful. "It?s more painful to have a tattoo removed by laser than to get the original tattoo," says Teen magazine.

What

Will Others Think?

You should also give serious thought to how others might feel about your wearing a tattoo, as many react negatively. (1 Corinthians 10:29-33) On a whim, Li, a woman in Taiwan, got a tattoo at age 16. Now she is a 21-year-old office worker. "It bothers me the way my co-workers stare at the tattoo," Li admits. British mental-health worker Theodore Dalrymple says that to many people, tattoos "are often the visible sign that a man . . . belongs to a violent, brutal, antisocial, and criminalized subculture."

An article in American Demographics magazine similarly observed: "It is clear that most Americans consider it risky to have visible body art. Eighty-five percent [of youths] agree with the statement, ?people who have visible tattoos . . . should realize that this form of self-expression is likely to create obstacles in their career or personal relationships.?"

Consider also whether choosing to get a tattoo would enhance or undermine your claim of being a Christian. Could it be a "cause for stumbling" others? (2 Corinthians 6:3) True, some youths have had their tattoos placed on hidden areas of the body. Even their parents may not know about these secret tattoos. But beware! An emergency trip to the doctor or simply taking a shower at school could make your secret common knowledge! Better it is to "conduct ourselves honestly in all things," avoiding foolish deception.?Hebrews 13:18.

Like all fads, tattoos may lose their appeal over time. Really, is there any garment?whether a pair of jeans, a shirt, a dress, or a pair of shoes?that you love so much that you would commit to wearing it for the rest of your life? Of course not! Styles, cuts, and colors change. Unlike a piece of clothing, however, tattoos are hard to shed. Besides, what is "cool" to you when you are 16 might not be very appealing when you are 30.

Many have come to regret making permanent alterations to their appearance. "I got a tattoo before learning about Jehovah," relates Amy. "I try to keep it covered. When others in the congregation happen to see it, I feel embarrassed." The message? Think before you ink. Don?t make a decision that you may regret later.

[Footnote]

Some of the names have been changed.

[Picture

on page 26]

Tattoos are often associated with rebellious life-styles

[Picture on page 26]

In time, many regret getting a tattoo

[Picture on page 27]

Think before you ink

and Body Piercing

*** g00 3/22 pp. 11-13 Young People Ask . . . What About Body Piercing?

?When I first saw people with lips and other parts of their body pierced, I thought "Wow! That?s special."??Lisa.

LISA is not alone. Increasing numbers of young people are wearing rings and studs through various body parts, even their eyebrows, tongue, lips, and navel. It?s a practice called body piercing.

A 16-year-old named Heather is eager to jump on the bandwagon. She is convinced that a ring in her navel will look "absolutely awesome." Nineteen-year-old Joe, however, already sports a gold barbell through his tongue. And another young girl chose to have her eyebrow pierced because she wanted something "highly visible" that would "freak people out."

The idea of attaching jewelry to the body is hardly new. Back in Bible times, a godly woman named Rebekah wore a nose ring. (Genesis 24:22, 47) When coming out of Egypt, the Israelites wore earrings. (Exodus 32:2) It is not known, though, whether such jewelry was attached by means of ear and nose piercing. Faithful slaves did have their ears pierced, however, as a symbol of their loyalty to their masters. (Exodus 21:6) Piercing has been prominent in other ancient cultures too. Aztecs and Maya pierced their tongues for spiritual reasons. Lip perforation is still widespread in Africa and among South American Indians. Insertion of decorative objects through the nose is common among Melanesians and inhabitants of India and Pakistan.

Until just a few years ago, piercing in the Western world was generally limited to women?s earlobes. But now teenagers and young adults of both sexes are wearing jewelry on just about every part of the body to which it can be attached.

Why They Get Pierced

Many get pierced because they feel that it is fashionable?the in thing to do. Others feel that it will enhance their appearance. Certainly, the fad has been fueled by the use of body jewelry by top models, sports stars, and popular musicians. And for some youths, piercing also seems to serve as an expression of independence, a quest for individuality, a way for them to say that they are not like everybody else. Observes columnist John Leo: "The yearning to irritate parents and shock the middle class seems to rank high as a motive for getting punctured repeatedly." Dissatisfaction, nonconformity, defiance, and rebellion seem to drive this need for self-expression.

There are even those who get pierced to meet deep psychological or emotional needs. For example, some youths feel that it will boost their self-respect. Some victims of child abuse have seen it as a means of claiming control of their bodies.

Health Risks

But is all such body piercing safe? Many medical practitioners say that some of it is not. Certainly, do-it-yourself piercing is hazardous. And going to a so-called professional piercer may have its risks. Many lack extensive training, having learned their craft from friends, magazines, or videos. As a result, they may not use sanitary techniques or even understand the risks of piercing. Also, many piercers lack an understanding of anatomy. This is no small problem, since making a hole in the wrong place can cause excessive bleeding. Hitting a nerve can cause permanent damage.

Another serious risk is infection. Unsterile equipment can transmit such lethal diseases as hepatitis, AIDS, tuberculosis, and tetanus. Even when sterile techniques are used, care after the procedure is still essential. A navel piercing, for example, is subject to irritation because it is constantly rubbed by clothing. It can thus take up to nine months to heal.

Doctors say that piercing the cartilage of one?s nose or ears is more dangerous than piercing an earlobe. A newsletter from the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery explains: "Multiple earring holes placed around the top of the ear are a particular cause for concern?serious infections can cause the loss of the entire top curve of the ear. Nose studs also are risky?an infection in this area may involve nearby blood vessels and spread to the brain." Concludes the newsletter: "Ideally, [piercing] should be limited to the earlobe area."

Other hazards are ugly scarring and allergic reactions to piercing jewelry. If rings in very sensitive areas, such as the breast, get caught or pulled by clothing, the piercings can easily tear. Scar tissue formed in the breast of a young girl can block milk ducts, and if she does not seek treatment, she may find it difficult or impossible to nurse a baby in the future.

The American Dental Association recently dubbed oral piercing a public health hazard. Additional risks of piercing the mouth area include choking after swallowing jewelry, numbness and loss of taste in the tongue, prolonged bleeding, chipped or fractured teeth, increased salivary flow, uncontrolled drooling, gum injury, speech impediment, and difficulties in breathing, chewing, and swallowing. When a young woman named Kendra had her tongue pierced, it "swelled up like a balloon." To make matters worse, the piercer used a stud designed for the chin, and it cut into Kendra?s tongue and ripped through tissue underneath. She almost lost the ability to speak.

God taught his people the Israelites to respect their bodies and to avoid self-mutilation. (Leviticus 19:28; 21:5; Deuteronomy 14:1) And while Christians today are not under the Mosaic Law, they are still encouraged to treat their bodies with respect. (Romans 12:1) Does it not make good sense, then, to avoid unnecessary health risks? Nevertheless, there are other factors you should consider besides health.

What Message Does It Transmit?

The Bible gives no specific command about body piercing. But it does encourage us to adorn ourselves with "modesty and soundness of mind." (1 Timothy 2:9) While something might be considered modest in one part of the world, the real issue is how it is viewed where you live. For example, pierced earlobes on women in one part of the world may be considered acceptable. But in another country or culture, some may take offense at them.

Despite their popularity among celebrities, body piercings and earrings for men have thus far failed to gain general acceptance in the West. One reason may be that these have long been the hallmark of prison inmates, motorcycle gangs, punk rockers, and members of the homosexual sadomasochistic subculture. For many, body piercing has the connotation of deviance and rebellion. A number view it as shocking, repugnant. Says a Christian girl named Ashley: "This boy in my class just got his nose pierced. He thinks it?s cool. I think it?s disgusting!"

Little wonder, then, that one well-known American store has a rule that employees having direct contact with customers are restricted to one earring per ear and that all other visible piercings are banned. "You can?t predict how people might react," explains a company spokeswoman. Career counselors similarly advise male college students applying for a job to wear "no earrings or other body piercing jewelry; women should wear . . . no nose rings."

Young Christians in particular should be concerned that they give the right impression to others, including when they engage in the evangelizing work. They do not want to be ?giving any cause for stumbling, that their ministry might not be found fault with.? (2 Corinthians 6:3, 4) Whatever personal opinion you might have about piercing, your appearance inescapably makes a statement about your attitudes and life-style. What statement do you want to make?

Ultimately, you?and, of course, your parents?must decide what you will do in this regard. "Don?t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould," is the Bible?s sound advice. (Romans 12:2, Phillips) After all, you are the one who will have to live with the results.

[Footnote]

By this, we are not referring to the modest piercing that is common and culturally acceptable in many lands. Rather, we refer to the extreme practices that are popular today.?See The Watchtower of May 15, 1974, pages 318-19.

[Pictures on page 12]

Body piercing is enormously popular among youths

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit