GERMANS: Need info about apartments in Deutschland

by seattleniceguy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I'm gearing up for an extended trip to Europe starting this summer. I'm hoping to stay about two years altogether, and I'd like to stay about six months each in four different locations. I'm thinking about starting in Germany, mostly because I'm interested in studying German and I've heard it's a beatiful country.

So here's my question. I'll be interested in renting an apartment probably in a suburb of a metropolitan area in the north, perhaps near Berlin. I don't think I'll want to be right in the city, but I'd like to be nearby. I hear the north is better for learning a dialect of German that is useful more universally that what you'll get in the south. Any comments on where I might consider living? What are apartments like in the area you live? I'll be going with a business partner so ideally we'd need something with two bedrooms and a nice office area.

Anyway, mostly I'm just fishing for ideas / comments. I'd like to hear anything you have to say about living in Germany. :-)

SNG

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

SNG

this crowd are great, I've used them a few times, but I think they are more Frankfurt based.

http://www.city-residence.de

Pope

• johnathanseagull
    johnathanseagull

Hi SNG

From my own experience away from the city centre is of course cheaper and dont worry about the public transport, most larger cities have excellent services including bus, u-bahn and s-bahn. Going through an agent to find an apartment can be expensive, and based on the time you rent. For example I paid 1100 Euros, commission on a 750 a month apartment in Duesseldorf, for what amounted to a couple of nice photos on the web and a couple of emails!!!!!. www.easyroommate.com is a good place to start for something cheaper with no commission but google "berlin apartments" and something will come up. As far as dialects are concerned, germanexjw would have more to say on the matter but yes the far south "Bayern" has a dialect which is difficult to say the least. From my own expereince, Frankfurt would be a good middle point to live, 3 hours either way on the high speed ICE train you can be in France and Switzerland. Do look out for the cheap airlines operating in Europe now, great bargins to most big european cities, one word of warning, the airports they use are not the major airports but usually smaller ones maybe a distance of 50km of the chosen city. Make a note of the following:

www.easyjet.com

www.germanwings.com

www.airberlin.com

www.hlx.com

ok thats about it for now, if I think of anything else I'll pm you

Jgull

ps the two best beers are Kolsh from Koeln (Cologne) and Alt a dark beer from Duesseldorf. ;-)

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Hello everyone,

JGull has said much truth. Keep in mind: he speaks from a point of view of a foreigner living in Germany. SO he is in your shoes.

Concerning accent: I would really avoid the South like Munich or Stuttgart. The clearest German is spoken in Hanover (Hannover) which is a rather ugly city not really worth to be among the first choices.

Second choice would be (to me) Hamburg - a very beautiful city in the North, weather is not always the best. Close to Denmark and to the coast.

Düsseldorf is also okay with the accent. It is a major city in one of the densest populated areas.

I agree with JGull, that Frankfurt on river Main is very in the center. But People there have a strange accent, too.

Concerning appartments: it depends where you want to live. For a single person you can also live in the big cities - that is more expensive but you save the money for car/public transportation (and time). And life in the big cities is more fun.

I have always avoided using an agent for finding an appartment. A paper and some time should do. But of course you would have to understand the words in the appartment ads.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I would avoid Munich for learning German but it is DEFINITELY worth a visit!

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

In Frankfurt am Main there lives a guy who is a bit crazy, he walks around the city stark naked except for a Sony Walkman around his waist. In WINTER!!!!

Just thought to tell you this SNG in case it may influence your decision.

Pope

• Beans
    Beans

Quoting GermanJW

"Keep in mind: he speaks from a point of view of a foreigner living in Germany."

I almost died laughing at that one!!!!

• Pole
    Pole

SNG,

Let me know when you are in Germany. Poland is a short trip from there, so I offer my help in taking a short break from the German Ordnung every once in a while. :-).

Pole

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Wow, thanks to everyone for the AWESOME information. I just found out that craigslist.org now has a Berlin edition which has some great deals on sublets.

GermanXJW,

I didn't see you mention Berlin / Brandenburg. How is the German there?

Pope,

LOL...I'll keep my distance.

Pole,

Totally. Looking forward to meeting you!

SNG

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

SNG I so envy you! Being of German heritage I have always wanted to visit and never had the finances. Have fun and make sure we get to see some pics!

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit