the day after armageddon

by Crumpet 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

(This is creepy, funny and shocking so I thought I would share - sorry if its ever been posted before.) Parts 2-5 will follow! Let me know what you think. is how I felt remembering stuff after I read this!

The Diary of an

Armageddon Survivor

The following is not fantasy, this is what we were taught to expect when we were Jehovah's Witnesses.

DAY 1

Well, the Big A is over and I survived. I made my way down to the Kingdom Hall this morning. By the end of the day most of the congregation had gathered at the Hall. Some brothers and sisters are still missing, Ed Thorn, our presiding overseer, told us that those who were missing should have spent more time in field service.

DAY 2

Brother Thorn called a special meeting This morning. He announced that he and the other elders would now be assuming full authority over our new community until contact was reestablished with headquarters. All decisions regarding community regulations, living arrangements, work assignments, and other matters would be at the sole discretion of the elders.

Sam Greene objected to this dictatorial policy until Thorn pulled out a letter from the Society dated several months ago which stated that, after Armageddon, the local body of elders would be responsible for all decisions until otherwise directed by the Society. Sam voiced no further objections. The rest of us also accepted the new arrangement.

The first new rule was not long in coming - all brothers and sisters were required to report to the Kingdom Hall at 8:00 every morning to receive work assignments and other instructions.

DAY 3

Brother Thorn has assigned me lo the burial detail. It seems that most of us single brothers have been assigned this unpleasant duty. The dead bodies are already starting to get to me. It sickens me to watch the birds and other animals scavenge the corpses. I actually saw a raven pluck out an eyeball today. Disgusting! Rob Johnson got a bulldozer running and has begun to dig a large common grave. My job is to go around collecting bodies and load them into the back of a pickup truck.

DAY 4

We had our first judicial hearing today. Larry and Sue Winters had moved into the McRae mansion in what was once the exclusive Cypress Oaks subdivision. The problem was that Sister Thorn had already had her eye on the place and, as wife of the presiding overseer, she figured that she should have first choice. Brother Thorn told Brother and Sister Winter that they had no right to claim anything without approval of the elders. They were ordered to get out of the house by nightfall. The Winters were very disappointed but they agreed to move out.

DAY 5

At the morning meeting, the Thorns announced that they would be moving into the McRae place. The Winters were livid, but they didn't say anything. It was also announced that the surrounding estate homes had been assigned to the other elders. Position has privilege, even in the New World.

Some of the brothers have started calling the area "Elder Hill". It was also announced that anyone wanting to appropriate a home must first file a request with the elders. I have decided to stay in my own house. It doesn't seem right to move into someone else's home, even if they were worldly. It makes me sad when I go into someone's house and see the family pictures and personal belongings. Most of the others don't feel this way, it doesn't bother them to loot the dead.

• Gill
    Gill

Sadly, imaginably true.

• FMZ
    FMZ

I couldn't wait for the rest of it... a quick Google gave me the site.

Very sad... in a way almost believable. I think this is the yin to the society's yang.

And to think, we all looked forward to it so much.

FMZ

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The timing is precious.
    I just got back from lunch with a non-JW friend, who told me a story about a JW girl he used to rag when at school. This was back at the height of the '75 stuff, ironically.

He used to say "Armaggedon older every day...".

It had me chuckling - easily amused, I guess.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    And to think, we all looked forward to it so much.

FMZ

Did you really FMZ? I have to say when I realised I wouldnt have to live in Paradise I was relieved. I never wanted to go there - I tried to like the idea but all I could think of was that there would be no tv and no books and that if my mum or dad died beforehand and then got ressurected they would have to live in separate houses and not be married anymore, because the ressurected would be like the angels. I remember when I was told that when I was 5 i cried and cried secretly and prayed to God that he wouldnt let my mum or dad die before armageddon and that if they did that i didnt want to go to paradise. Its no wonder that carrying around the sort of fear at that age that I was and am a troubled soul. Why was I never allowed to be a child!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I dug this priceless little nugget up for the newbies. This is what it would be like if the WTS was real.

• siy
    siy

day 126... i will throw one of the rocks back! GREAT STUFF

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

Awesome, where do I sign up!?

• searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

LOL, I actually remember hearing a similar story told by JW's that talked about a bird plucking out a dead worldly person's eye. Of course that story made the witnesses look good and they were all happy to clean up the bodies and pilliage the homes of the dead.

• HB
    HB

There was an interesting programme on UK TV last night (Channel 4) entitled "Life After People". It discussed a hypothetical time-line of what would happen to the world if for some reason humans were completely wiped out. If I was a JW, the programme would worry me.

Although theoretically speaking, immediately after a JW Armageddon, there would perhaps initially be a few million people left on earth, based on the ideas in this programme, this would not be enough to prevent the forces of nature taking control of most of the planet in a short space of time. I suppose JWs believe that Jehovah will take care of all problems, but in order to do so, He would have to change practically every known law of the universe including all weather systems.

An example of the problems that would face survivors is that within two weeks of not being maintained, city subways and underground networks would start filling with ground-water. Currently, in New York City, 700 pumps shift 49,000 cubic metres of water out of the tunnels everyday; in London, 30,000 cubic metres are pumped out. If no one was around to operate the London flood barriers, it wouldn't be long before the whole city was under water. So the top brass JWs can forget their ideas of moving into Buckingham Palace.

Everywhere there would be a population explosion of mice and rats eating all the rotting food in the houses and shops, and feral cats would be in their element. Forest fires would be left to burn out of control, and in the longer term, bridges, roads and all infrastructure would crumble if not maintained.

It's a strange thought that someone who lived in the 1st century and was resurrected might have to learn to do some very 21st century tasks!

The programme showed what has happened to a once beautiful town near Chernobyl that was evacuated only 20 years ago to illustrate how quickly buildings and civilisation disappears if not maintained.

See http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/L/life_after_people/timeline/timeline.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit