12,000-Year-Old Bones Found in Kansas

by hawkaw 13 Replies latest jw friends

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I thought the following was an interesting story. I note that it seems there are some in the world who use an accuracy error to completely discount the carbon 14 to carbon 12 ratio when dating materials. Please note that when reading the following story, the carbon 14 dating has a particular "accuracy error". Thus, there is around a one hundred year error in the measurement for this timeframe. Think about it like when you measure a piece of wood with a typical tape measure. No matter what you are measuring, a typical calibrated tape measure has an accuracy error of plus or minus 1/16th to 1/32nd of an inch depending on the tape measure (or 1 mm accuracy error for a typical metric tape measure).

hawk

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050215/ap_on_sc/ancient_bones

GOODLAND, Kan. - Scientists say mammoth and camel bones unearthed in northwest Kansas that date back 12,200 years could be part of "one of the most important archaeological sites in North America."

The bones, found last June in Sherman County near the Colorado border, were alongside a piece of stone that archaeologists say was the kind used in tools that humans once used to butcher animals.

Archaeological geologist Rolfe Mandel of the Kansas Geological Survey said carbon-14 dating completed last week shows the bones are between 12,200 and 12,300 years old, which could mean humans lived on the Great Plains 1,300 years earlier than previously thought.

Mandel said if excavations this summer verify the finding of the stone tool, it would make the archaeological site among the oldest in the New World.

"It would be one of the most important sites in North America," he said.

Researchers initially found mammoth bone and stone-tool flint next to each other in soil dating back 11,000 years at the site. Below that, they found mammoth and camel bone that were fractured in a way that they say could only have been caused by people who shattered bone with stone to either make flaked bone tools or get to the marrow.

"Some scientists won't be convinced that the older bones got here because of human hunters," said Mandel, who is leading the team that found the bones. "I'm not convinced, either. But I'm 75 percent convinced. There are few other ways the bones could be broken naturally the way they're broken."

Ancient and more modern stone-age hunters sharpened their butchering tools alongside the bodies of the animals they killed, flaking flint off dulled stone-knife blades and leaving traces of their sharpening work beside the bones.

Mandel said he's absolutely positive about the layer of 11,000-year-old bones and stone artifacts, which he said make the Sherman County dig the oldest site of verified human occupation and activity in Kansas, and among the oldest in North America.

The dig began after a landowner in the area found a mammoth tooth in 1976 and contacted the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. In the 1980s, a paleontologist who found animal bones there noted that the fracture patters on the bones were unusual.

Based on mammoth-kill sites in western North America, scientists previously dated the earliest confirmed evidence of humans on the Great Plains at 11,000 to 11,500 years ago. Mandel said the new evidence will add to the debate over when humans inhabited the Western Hemisphere.

Conventional wisdom has been that people came across the Bering Strait about 12,000 years ago. But Mandel said the northwest Kansas dig means "we're rethinking not only when people arrived, but where they came from."

Mandel said material at the site indicates a small family of nomads likely used it as a campsite. Those people would have drifted across the land, following herds of animals, he said.

"It would have been a very rough lifestyle," Mandel said.

• Mary
    Mary

Witnesses probably wouldn't have a problem with this, because I think they still unofficially subscribe to the idea that each "creative day" was about 7,000 years. Seeing as they date Adam to living about 6,000 years ago, if the previous "creative day" when the animals were created, lasted for 7,000 years, then that means there were animals waltzing around the earth about 13,000 years ago which is within the time frame that they allow.

It's when the archaeologists dig up bones that are 50,000 - 65,000,000 years old that the Witnesses start whining about how "inaccurate" these scientists dating method is.........

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ummm... Mary...

They are also finding stone implements that were used to 'smash' the bones of these animals.

Are you saying that Adam did this?

*cheeky grin*

Where this 'JW' logic that you are sharing fails is that... 'man' would have had to really 'hot-foot' it from waaaaaay over there (near Eden) to waaaaaay over here... (Kansas - "Oh,Toto! I don't think we're in... Eden anymore!") set up camp - and go out to start killing animals with rock tools.

But wait! Killing animals for food didn't happen till after the fabled flood. So... add a few thouand years to that... ooooohhhhh my brain hurts.

Bottom line -

This 12,000 year estimate is pretty reasonable - and does NOT have to coincide with a silly book called the 'bible' - or any JW teachings.

There _were_ people here on earth prior to 11,000 to 12,000 years ago. I personally don't think they were as 'backwards' as the archeologists try to make them out to be.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well, the article didn't mention the most important aspect of the find -- if the tools conform to Clovis technology. If the dates are valid, it could be the nail in the coffin to the Clovis First model, and yet it is curious that the find is all the way over in Kansas -- most other early sites are coastal. The association of the tools with mammoth bones is also interesting, considering the megafauna extinction debate.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Leolaia

could be the nail in the coffin to the Clovis First model,

Pray tell dear, to the unitiated, what is the Clovis First Model, and is it something WTS uses to put forth their own arguments?

• Satanus
    Satanus

It could be just mandel's efforts at getting his minute of fame. The evidence seems pretty weak, to me. If he is able to push human habitation on this continent back to a significantly earlier date w his 'most important' site, then he gets his little name in the history books. Some people are too ambitious.

S

• steve2
    steve2

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the bones turn out to be those of Charles Taze Russell. Honestly, it feels like 12,000 years ago that he started all of this, what with his emphasis on the pyramids of old.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the bones turn out to be those of Charles Taze Russell.

This is most likely the case. The society is sitting on a wealth of new light? that is to be slowly released in due season?. It will be revealed that Charles Taze Russell is actually Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed. Noah's ark was actually a time machine, which explains how Russell was able to be all these people. It also explains how his 12,000 year old bones ended up in Kansas. Clearly, he went back in time to destroy what would one day become archeological evidence that his future followers might have trouble refuting. Fortunately, the mamoth kicked his ass and the bones remain.

Walter

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Scientists say mammoth and camel bones unearthed in northwest Kansas that date back 12,200 years could be part of "one of the most important archaeological sites in North America."

Camels? In Kansas?

Cool.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

xjw....No, it is an old anthropological model (formerly the dominant paradigm) on the settlement of the Americas.

Article:

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_701509129/Migration_to_the_Americas.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit