Why www.watchtower.org?

by PopeOfEruke 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Just was wondering today, Why is the official JW website www.watchtower.org? Why not use the magic word "Jehovah" in the website name? Why not www.jehovahs-witnesses.com? Why use the name of a single publication when JW's are supposed to be a "people for God's name"? Wouldn't the magic word "Jehovah" be much better at keeping demons from reading the website?

It looks to me like they are embarrassed to use "Jehovah" in the website name......

Any ideas?

Pope

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

At the time the domain was registered, there was no legal organisation known as Jehovah's Witnesses. That name was only registered in 2000.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

what? the JW's website isn't www.jehovahs-witness.com? Alright, where the heck am I then? *Mrs Kwin, I smell apostates. Let's high-tail it out of here!*

Kwin

• Quotes
    Quotes

You can not trade-mark a deity, therefore they will never be able to "defend and legally establish" the name Jahoobee, which makes it problematic for all kinds of business interactions, including domain names, etc.

If they had done their job, they might have been able to protect "watchtower" as their own. As my recent response to their "Cease & Desist" letter demonstrates, they do not even have that as their own. Tsk tsk, I guess this is what happens when a large multi-national corporation is run by octegenarians with high school (or less) educations.

~Quotes

• Quotes
    Quotes

Forgot to add: I also suspect that the name Jahoobee is rarely used on "front line" materials because is reeks of "odd ball religion" and doesn't help the conversion rates.

Better to use something "secular" sounding (Watchtower.org, Watchtower mag, Awake!, "we are bible students sharing a scripture with our neighbours today", to trick people into listening to something they would never waste time on if it was fully and openly disclosed up front.

~Quotes

• Simon
    Simon

I think their choice of name reflects what is most important to them - selling copies of their magazine. Religion is just a convenient means to make money and gain power.

(as L.Ron.Hubbart said and then demonstrated!)

• rebel8
    rebel8

Quotes:

Just wanted to say, your web site is awesome, and I admire you for what you're doing!

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

The general public only knows them as Jehovah's Witnesses. Most don't know what the Watchtower is. I too am surprised they didn't put "Jehovah's Witnesses" in their web address.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I wonder if they will ever publish a public email address.

Now - THAT would be fun......

Jeff

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Why not use the magic word "Jehovah" in the website name?

Haha.

"On AOL, type in the keyword: Jehovah."

laters

kaykay_mp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit