Astrology

by peggy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• peggy
    peggy

Would any of you allow someone to give you a read of your astrology charts?

I saw a very intuitive reflexologist tonight, and he picked up information from me that he could not have known. I have the old standard belief that you should not get into this, and yet I am curious. What do you have to share about this? He wants my birthday, time of birth, city/state where born so that he can give me some information.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's your call and no one has the right to judge what you decide. As for me, not a chance. Reminds me too much of John 1:1 and the NWT in tune with J. Greber and his spirit inspired New Testament.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I used to have enormous curistority about all that. I saw a psychic once and she saw almost literally nothing. She was so taken back by me telling her I had been a JW. She did tell me my health was bad, but would not have needed a psychic to know that. I think there may be some people who are truly gifted and have psychic ability, but most are just fakes and don't know anything. If I had a spare $700-800 I'd go see sylvia browne and see what she says b/c she is supposed to be good. don't waste your money on the small time people. see someone with a reputation behind thme- if u must at all.

weds

• heathen
    heathen

No thanks , it seems like every idiot is jumping out of the woodwork to try and tell me what I think , I don't buy into that crap at all .................

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sure. Why not? I've done it.

If you are curious, go for it. It's not like the demonz are going to get you or something like that.

Wait a minute, my pet demon is speaking to me.......

Hmm, he says that the demons WILL get you.

Guess I was wrong.

Robyn

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Nope... I wouldn't bother with astrologers any more than I'd go to a reflexologist. Both are crackpot "sciences" IMO.

• FMZ
    FMZ

I have looked into astrology very briefly, and personally don't reckon too much to it. However, a much more "in-tune" friend of mine says that long term astrology can be very accurate, but the day to day stuff is worthless.

Wednesday, many of the small-time psychics are very good... but as you say, there are so many out just to get your money. It all depends on who you go to. For instance, I had a psychic reading from a local lady named Veda, and it was amazing. For almost an hour session, I payed about $25. I left feeling great and uplifted. Then there was the one I went to in Kansas City. She cost a little more (yep... $100), but I figured more money = better reading. I was oh so wrong. The reading was so generalized and cliched, I very nearly didn't pay up. I have also had brief readings for free at a Spiritualist church my wife and I attend, and the facts / people that pop up are so accurate.

All in all, if you feel this person has The Gift, and you could learn something from them, then go for it. But always be wary of scam-artists. It took me $100 to learn that lesson.

FMZ

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If they are charging more than a regular wage then I'd be suspicious. There are plenty of charlatans.

I've had my chart read, and was returned a series of past dates that involved "upheaval". It turned out to be a list of every date we'd relocated as a family (a regular occurance in my childhood). Hence I cannot write it off.

I do take foretelling with a pinch of salt, given that in one sense the future is not written yet. I think it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy, and like to think I have some freewill...
    That having been said, how we acted in the past can have a large bearing on how we are likely to act in the future.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I've had both good readings and bad readings and it had nothing to do with the cost. Personally I think there are some very good general guidelines that you can pick up with astrology or with a psychic. But they do not tell you what WILL happen, only what could happen. Since I do readings myself and for myself and for friends I can tell you that you take from it the lessons that will move you in the direction you want in life, growth opportunities. If you're looking to see whether you are going to win the lottery you might as well skip it, IMO.

I will tell you that this stuff did freak me out for awhile after leaving. However the demonz thing is a myth just like everything else the WTS fed us.

I know there are a lot of people that think all of the extra sensory stuff is fake, and that is fine, they are entitled, I absolutely was like that myself for many years. Proof is anectdotal, and my proof is personal and anectdotal as well.

Sherry

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I went to a reflexologist once (while receiving massage therapy after an accident). At the time I was a JW and didn't realize that it was a New Agey type of thing. However, I got a really excellent foot massage out of the deal.

As for astrology, it just makes no sense to me. From what I know about it, the rules about what means what are established arbitrarily. For example, the planet Pluto is supposed to indicate negative things, death and doom and such - but who decided that? Whoever it was made the decision since 1930, because before that, no one even knew the planet existed. I heard a presentation by Marcia Montenegro at a conference once. She was a professional astrologer before becoming a Christian. She explained how astrology worked (in broad terms, of course), but I just couldn't get it to make sense - I kept asking why certain things had certain implications, and it seemed as if the rules had just been imposed by some astrological authority structure. There didn't seem to be any reasons why certain features had certain implications; that was just the way it was, and it was not to be questioned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit