At What Age Should Children Go Alone In The Ministry Work?

by Englishman 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I was 9 years old when I first started knocking on doors. I only did the magazine work, however, my friend Adrian was doing the full sermon routine when he was 9. So were lot's of kids, girls too.

Crazy..just crazy.

What's the policy these days? Anyone know?

Did anyone here also go knocking on doors at a very young age?

Englishman.

• minimus
    minimus

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

i believe i became an unbaptized publisher at 7 or 8, and actually did my first "parentless" preaching in downtown portland, at about 11 or 12 years old, with a close friend of mine (who i havent talked to or a few months now) I think the official position is 16 or 18.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

I have no idea what the current policy is, if indeed there is one.

I think it's criminal to send children out like this - they have NO hope of answering any questions that require a degree of knowledge - it isn't fair to either the child OR the householder.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I can't remember not going out "on the doors".
    I can certainly recall at age four I was offering tracts, at six I was offering magazines and reporting, and at twelve I was going out entirely on my own giving two to three scripture sermons (as per the KM, or whatever it was called at that time). At fouteen I was using my Summer Holidays to vacation Pioneer, and I left school at sixteen to Pioneer.

To be frank, I didn't know anything else and I was pretty naive, not least when arguing with old people (especially war veterans). Precocious wee tw*t, that I was!!!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I never went door to door alone, even as an adult. About the youngest I ever went without an adult? Probably 10 or 11. As for giving talks on the "theocratic" school, they started kids off really young at my hall. As soon as you could read, you were put on the school. I was around 5 or 6. What do I think it should be? Eighteen..

• upside/down
    upside/down

I was 18 ("convert") and TERRIFIED!!!

u/d

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I recall doing the tract work by myself age 9 or 10. That required just leaving a tract at the door, as we invaded neighbourhoods, en masse, to cover the whole city in a week.

Actually by myself doing sermons/scriptures age 12 and up. Wasn't by choice. Never forget the time I called at the door of a girl schoolmate, and she had her girlfriends over for a sleepover the Friday night before, and I could hear them snickering and giggling behind the door.

xjw_b12 who became a master of the split fingered doorbell ring.

• Mutz
    Mutz

95 seems about a sensible age to me. :)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I agree with Minimus. If they have to go at all, they should be 18 or more.

Can't believe you went alone at 9!

Jeannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit