Jude and 1 Enoch

by Leolaia 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• badboy
    badboy

SO THE ELDER THOUGHT HE KNEW MORE THAN 1ST CENTURY KNEW ABOUT THEIR BELIEFS.

SOUNDS LIKE SOME PEOPLE WHO SEEM TO THINK THEY KNOW MORE THAN PEOPLE IN CERTAIN PERIODS WHAT LIFE WAS REALLY LIKE FOR THOSE PEOPLE.

• VM44
    VM44

Another excellent research post from Leolaia.

I am glad this has been brought to the top, I am going to save this to my hard disk.

--VM44

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wow, this is super cool.....Coptic fragments of 2 Enoch (!) have been identified -- the first time the enigmatic book has been found outside of the Slavonic textual tradition.

http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com/2009_04_05_archive.html#233248324834865637

This is going to pose many new questions about the book's provenance and history.

(For those of you unacquainted with the book — which is sometimes called the "Secrets of Enoch" — this is a separate work from 1 Enoch and is known only in two distinct Slavonic recensions but which is commonly thought to have a Greek or Semitic original. But there is almost no trace of it in the early period and extant MSS are medieval in date so very little is known about the origin of this work, like much of the Slavonic pseudepigrapha)

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I'm glad you resurrected this thread Leolaia. This issue was another of my issues with the whole inspired Bible thing when I was a JW.

• metatron
    metatron

You astound me with this stuff. Sheesh........

I obtained a copy of Dead Sea Scroll translated fragments and noted that the book of Enoch predated the Gospels. That stuck me with doubts, when I was an elder but I rationalized that it was just a general statement, anyway ("Jehovah showed up with a bunch of angels and was really pi$$ed about the wicked - hey, so what?")

You are magnificent.

metatron

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

metatron....You do know that your namesake is .... Enoch, at least in 3 Enoch and the hekhalot literature. Enoch is also similarly elevated in 2 Enoch (see especially 24:1-3, 67:2), although not called Metatron there.

• truthlover
    truthlover

Leolaia:

What an interesting person you are... have read a lot of your posts and they are full of information -- thank you for the above, will look into it - this info gives a new light on scripture!

• metatron
    metatron

Yup, the 1000 eyes come in real handy when I'm playing paintball. When Yahweh's on vacation, I get to move up to the big chair and manage the cosmos. For a couple weeks in 2012, I may let gravity back off to half strength just for kicks. Teachin' dead kids and doin' the scribe thing keeps me humble. Providing kosher sustenance can be dull but the blueberry blintzes are OK. I liked Alan Rickman playing me in Dogma. It's all good....

About a zillion years ago, Azriel and the boys get this Peace Corps idea to teach the monkey-boys how to do metal working and basic chemistry. Next thing you know, the Big Guy is all upset and everybody's treading water. Later, it turns out to be a Prime Directive -Star Trek sort of thing and nobody got the memo. Go figure.

metatron ( who likes obscure Dennis Miller sort of references)

• restrangled
    restrangled

Leolia, Your research is mind boggling but I want to thank you. You had done some research previously and I found The books of Enoch on the internet that I have saved.

I can't get over the information. Here is one of the links to the books of Enoch....facsinating stuff!

edited to say: My files are not showing up as a link.

The books of enoch are available on line....please take the time to down load and read in their entirety....!

r.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Leo: You are my hero. This is an amazing piece of scholarship. Surely you have had work published?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit