Dental Reconstruction....any tips?

by Lostreality 17 Replies latest social physical

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I know this may sound strange but when you compare prices here in the states to Mexico, it is cheaper to fly down there and have all your dental work done and have plenty left over. Guadalajara is a great place to go. You can go online and get plenty of info. US dentists are now training there because they are so much farther advanced than the US! I took my son to a place in Lake Chapala, which has about 60,000 retired American and Canadians living there. Stayed in a hotel for $20.00 a night. Had all my sons dental work done for $800.00--estimate here in the states was $6-8,000.00 dollars. The dentist was great, did a fantastic job, and the place was so clean you could have eaten off the floor. PM me if you want more info. My brother and I going down next week and he plans to have all his teeth refubished-whatever is needed! The food is so cheap it's the least of your expenses. Just an idea!

Swalker

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Swalker, im very hesitant about going to other countries for surgery...hell, im hesitant to get surgery HERE, but i think even if i CANT afford it, it is going to be needed.

• wasasister
    wasasister
    Swalker, im very hesitant about going to other countries for surgery...hell, im hesitant to get surgery HERE, but i think even if i CANT afford it, it is going to be needed.

You should be. Dentists in Mexico can be very good...or very bad. The Mexican government is not very keen on regulations, so you never know what kind of training or reputation the dentist has. Yes, some are excellent and the results are comparable to care one would get in the USA, but there are no guarentees. If the dentist does a poor job, can you go back and have the work re-done at no charge? In the US, you could. Up front price is not the most important factor. Longevity and functionality IS. I've seen some great work done in Mexico...and some absolute junk. You want to take that gamble just to save a few bucks?

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

I may not really have a choice. Hell i may talk to swalker about what his dentist's name was that did the work he talked about. A good reccomendation is always a good thing. Im going to be in debt for this, no doubt. Anyone have ideas on financing?

• wasasister
    wasasister

PM me for suggestions. I can direct you to some good resources, depending on your location. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Best wishes,

Wasa

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Great advise from wasasister. She covered a few things that I was getting too tired to include.

Particularly:

Cosmetic Dentists who are really just general dentists that took a few weekend courses. Especially since you already report a history of jaw trouble.

South American dentists. There can be some very good ones but, living in Southern California, I can tell you some terrible results that required thousands of dollars and several years to correct. For myself and those I love, I would never, ever search out a Discount Brain Surgeon. Nor would I look for a Bargain Dentist. Never.

Thanks for filling in my gaps (!!) wasasister!!

-Aude. (Reminiscing about a whole bunch of great rehab patients.)

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Well, I know it is very important to research your info before you go and get recomendations! You have to watch out for the border towns especially. But there are a few people who have gone to some reputable dentists even there. That's one reason that I mentioned the area that I did. I've been there and could get some recomendations from people who live down there. As for the dentist my son went to---she was outstanding! That was over a year ago and he has not had one single problem. She did find a few mistakes that dentists here in the States had made. I paid $800.00 to an endodontist to do a root canal on my son. He kept complaining that the tooth still hurt. She found that he had a third root, which is extremely unusual, but was the cause of his problem. I wonder why this professional here did not find this even after several visits??? It took her all of 30 seconds to see the problem! This dr. here is very highly rated...makes you wonder.

Swalker

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I do have to say that I am not promoting cheap dentistry. As I said earlier, a lot of American dentists are going to Guadalajara to receive their training BECAUSE they are more advanced than the US. It's just that it costs a lot less for the same job there compared to here. I would never recommend that someone cut corners on any surgery! But go price dentistry here, if you haven't lately. Most average people just can't afford it! ALso, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the offices...you could have literally eaten off the floor! I have heard numerous people comment on how clean everything was in the offices. Just my 2 cents...

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit