Dental Reconstruction....any tips?

by Lostreality 17 Replies latest social physical

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Any one here had dental reconstruction, or know of someone who has? What is the generall feeling about it? I understand that if done properlly, it boosts self image and confidence, and is also very benifical for your dental future....

Anyone have any tips, tricks, good Dr's, ect?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Nope... I've been thinking about going back to school to be a dentist... My knee has really been hurting lately so I need a sitting job!

So if your good with waiting about 5 years maybe I can help you out!

• simplesally
    simplesally

Are you talking crowns? Root Canals and implants?

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Reconstruction can also be very, very expensive.

There are often 'treatment options'.

If you are missing teeth, options will probably range from removable partials (possibly with a few more extractions) to dental implants with restorations anchored to them.

The implant route can take between 6months and 2 years. Removable partials are usually made within about 6 weeks if you do not require additional extractions.

Tips. Hmmm. I would suggest talking to a few dentists. Ask around. See who's names keep coming up alot. Meet the dentist and staff before scheduling an appointment. (Most dentists charge for consultation and you may save yourself some time and money if you can at least meet them and shake hands first.) I like to walk into the office and get a business card. Get a feel for how the office treats you. Ask if you can somehow get a look at the treatment rooms and lab.

If you really need dental reconstruction, you will be spending alot of time and money here. Make sure you are comfortable and feel that you are treated like a respected human. Not just a disease with a checkbook.

As to see 'before and after' pictures of completed cases.

Next get Full Mouth X-Rays. Maybe your current dentist can do this. Just maybe don't do it until you are really ready to start consulting with Restorative Dentists. X-Rays are often consider out-dated for comprehensive care after 4 or 6 months. (Especially if you have active decay.)

Ask the X-Ray technician to take a 'double set'. That's two pieces of film in each packet. Reason for this is that the doctor who takes the films will probably keep the originals for his own files and make copies for you to take for 2nd and 3rd consultations. They may charge you $5 - $15 to shoot the entire series in double film (or maybe not charge any additional) - but it may be worth it because 'duplicates' (copies made after the films are developed) are usually not of good diagnostic quality.

Probably the best tip would be: Start saving now.

-Aude.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Wow....just how expensive do you think? Are there ways to get some arts done, just some MAJOR fixes, for cheaper? I realise braces are an option...

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    if done properlly, it boosts self image and confidence, and is also very benifical for your dental future....

Ooops! Completely missed your real questions...!!

It might boost your self image and confidence. Depends on how you are feeling now. Are you embarrassed to smile? Do you find yourself hiding your mouth/teeth when you talk?? Do others make comments about your teeth or do your teeth distract others from what you are speaking?

If so, than cosmetic restorations may be helpful.

As far as beneficial for your dental future - depends on what exactly is the trouble that you present with now. If you have active decay and ignore it, it will not go away. It will progress. Deeper into the center of the tooth and into the nerve. Can also spread to neighboring teeth. Left untreated, root canal therapy and full-coverage crowns w/ posts are often needed. Otherwise, extractions are done.

When teeth are lost (extracted), surrounding teeth shift around. If you are missing a tooth on the bottom left, for example, the tooth/teeth in back of the space start to drift forward. Often they 'tip' forward. Sometimes they tip so far forward that they lie flat. These teeth then need to be removed as well. The teeth above the space where the lost tooth/teeth were very often 'super-erupt' - continue to grow down and can become loose because then there is little bone holding them in place.

Simply put, one problem often begets another. Also, if you lose teeth at a relatively early age, and do not somehow fill in the space, bone - especially on the lower jaw - tends to flatten. This flattening makes restorations in later life more difficult. People who get full lower dentures before age 30 usually have a terrible time in their later years.

You need to decide for yourself what impact your teeth are having on your life now and what you hope to achieve with reconstruction. Discuss your thoughts, feelings, and hopeful outcome with your Dental Team.

Most Dental Reconstruction/Rehab cases are treated by a team. Often a Prosthodontist will lead the team which may also include: Periodontist, Oral Surgeon, Endodontist, Orthodontist.

Ahh!! Another tip: Ask the dentist what he/she would do if it was his/her own mouth that presented in this manner. What if it was his/her sibling or child? What would they recommend in those cases. What if same situation but money was a big issue?

I hope some of this information is helpful for you.

Best wishes for a bright smile!

-Aude.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    Wow....just how expensive do you think? Are there ways to get some arts done, just some MAJOR fixes, for cheaper? I realise braces are an option...

How expensive? The answer depends on so many factors. A dentist would have to determine what the real problem is. Somethings look big but are really pretty easy to fix. Others look like something small but are actually quite advanced trouble. I have seen people who's teeth looked really, really bad when we first met them. A good cleaning, a few small fillings and just a sandpaper disk to reshape chipped front teeth made a gigantic difference. Then a couple of weeks bleaching and - viola!! - Beautiful smile. Talk to a dentist. Then talk to another one. You may be surprised at the different options they present. (might be the same, but might be totally different.) If you are really talking about a rehab/reconstruction situation, I strongly suggest you get at least two opinions. Better safe than sorry. Plus you usually get a better understanding of your specific case and greater insight to the pros and cons of each treatment option when you do your homework and get a few professional consultations. You might consider having your work done at a teaching college/dental school. I did when I was in high school. It might save you a little money. Then again, it might not. It does take alot more time as the student needs to get everything signed off every step of the way. Something that a fully-licensed dentist can do in 30 minutes, may take several hours in a school setting. I rarely make big decisions solely based on money. And some things are just not worth finding the 'bargain brand'. I would never, ever look for a discount brain surgeon. And I would never sit in the chair of the 'low-cost' dentist. Mistakes there could become extremely costly. Which ever way you decide to go, just be sure to make an informed decision. Best of luck in your treatment! -Aude.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Aude has given some fine advice.

It is important to distinguish between people seeking reconstruction for purely cosmetic reasons, or those with restorative needs. When you're talking full-mouth reconstruction, it's very expensive and insurance is just spitting in the ocean. Figure on $1000 to $1500 per tooth for a good cosmetic dentist.

Don't spend that kind of money on a general dentist who has taken a few cosmetic courses. Cosmetic dentistry is not a true specialty, but look for someone who has taken additional education with the Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, LVI, or some other well-known institute. Also, the lab is extremely important, so ask which lab will be fashioning the finished product.

It is not inappropriate to ask for patient testimonials - good dentists are proud of their work and will make available a list of satisfied customers.

Prices should be all-inclusive. Follow-up visits and a night guard (if necessary) should be included in the total fee. Financing plans are usually offered and at quite a favorable interest rate. If you have good credit, a payment plan should be no problem.

Make damned sure you get with somebody who understands occlusion. Your bite will change, and unless your dentist understands the nuances of overall bite registration, you could look great and have major TMJ problems.

A new smile can make a world of difference and is well worth the cost in most cases.

Enjoy!

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

I was already diagonsed with TMJ when my jaw would lock up in extreme cold. That was about 4 years ago, but i still get a popping jaw every now and then, even with daily excercises.....What exactly did you mean "a drop in the ocean" when you referred to insurence? My parents (in portland) have very limited dental insurence, so im SURE that would not cover it, but I just got a new job, and after 90 days they offer full dental benifits that i can buy into....

• wasasister
    wasasister

What I mean by "drop in the ocean" is this:

Dental insurance is limited to a few procedures each year. It is not meant for this kind of major reconstruction. The most generous dental benefit is around $2000 per year...a mear drop when one is thinking of full-mouth reconstruction. If a procedure is purely cosmetic, insurance may cover nothing at all.

Don't count on dental insurance if you are thinking of reconstruction. Also, don't go with the cheapest dentist. This is long-lasting and can affect your overall health. Get somebody with a good reputation, extensive training, and a great lab. If you can't afford it, don't do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit