?legit work-from-home opps-- anybody know of any?

by MerryMagdalene 14 Replies latest social physical

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

(sorry if this is in the wrong category...didn't know where to post it)

I'm a stay-at-home mom who needs to make some money and I was just wondering if any of you know of any legitimate, ethical work-from-home opportunities.

Anybody? Sure would appreciate hearing your experiences and thoughts on this matter, good and bad...

--Merry

• beebee
    beebee

It depends on what you consider would be acceptable to you. The most obvious option would be to run a daycare center. Of course that option would drive me bananas. Tupperware and Avon are two other legitimate options. It isn't as easy to make money with these programs as it used to be, and both compete with their own dealers now on the Internet. However if you have a lot of drive and will put in the effort, they can pan out, as can other types of home sales. Most who try these programs don't work very hard at it though and don't make much. 20 years ago I sold Tupperware and could make $4-500 a week doing parties only twice a week. I think it helped that I lived in an affluent area where party averages were higher than normal.

I have worked from home for nearly six years. When the economy was booming all the new Internet business provided huge opportunities and most still have a large, remote workforce. AOL is one of these workhorses, however I don't see the remote opportunites listed on the public Time Warner website. If you want one of those, you usually have to be a volunteer first for six months. Volunteers have access to hidden job boards where AOL and content partners list their opportunities. You have to be with AOL for at least six months as a member before you can become a volunteer.

I found my first telecommuting job that way. I started out as a volunteer in personal finance and ended up as publisher for one of their content partners and later publisher for the larger company that bought them.

When that job ended I kind of fell into an opportunity that resulted in forming my own company. I do PR, writing, media placement, editing and other freelance writing. I also fix computers when those opportunities come up. Now I'm in the process of starting another business. I like reinventing myself every few years.

There are companies that still like telecommuters though a lot of employers still don't believe people will work harder if they can stay home. I managed 75 people that were all remote and they were great workers. Working from home meant they almost never lost time when ill or if they had a sick kid. They also almost always put forth the extra effort when in a crunch because they could do so and not compromise their family life.

Adobe still has a large remote force and they may advertise those jobs on their website. You can also go to Monster and look for telecomuting jobs, but its a bear there because you have to fish through all the ads you know are scams.

Call center work is also available from home and there are legitimate agencies that place these workers WITHOUT a fee to you. I found one a while back, unfortunately I don't remember their name. Googling and patience may uncover one.

I knew a gal who was a concierge for a hotel in San Francisco. She'd been there for years but had two babies in 14 months and wanted to stay home. They loved her so much they set up a satellite dish on her roof and a T1 line so she could do it from home!

My neighbor across the street does insurance compliance.

It seems the best opportunities are often created out of thin air. Take an inventory of what skills and interests you have so you can figure out what might work for you. Perhaps you have an old employer who has things you can do from home or you can consult.

Jobs at home really only exist for those who have a skill that can be applied that way since an employer can't really train someone remotely.

Good luck.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Thanks so much for your comprehensive response, I really do appreciate it!!!

--Merry

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I know several people who do insurance billing and collections from their home and make DAMN good money!

I also know a guy who got way up in a pyramid scheme (selling noni (sp) juice) he said he knew it was mainly making money by getting people to sign up and not really about selling a product last month he made 27,000 he actually showed me the deposits when I said he was full of crap he showed me that he's made over 1 million bucks in the last 5 years... This guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either but he's invested most of the money he's made and says if he can ride it for 5 more years he's gonna retire... at 33... oh god I'm gonna be sick... I'll never hear the end of it if he manages to do it!!! uggggh

So there are honest ways to make money and slightly shady ways... up to you babe!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I've sold Southern Living AT Home for a few years now, and if you have that type of personality (love parties, etc.) you can do really well and schedule your parties to suit YOUR schedule. The products are pretty cool too. PM me if you are interested. I did great for about six months but then a lot of family stuff interfered, plus I had a full-time job outside of the home, so it was a bit much. I'm what they call a "hobbyist" -- I have catalog sales at work periodically and also order stuff for myself. You can really take it to any level you want.

I've also run a paralegal business from my home, summarizing depositions and medical records, typing transcription tapes. There's also a market in the medical fields for medical transcriptionists, which you can do from home.

Keep looking and I hope you will find exactly what you need.

Nina (who forgot to log out Big Tex on this computer -- oops!)

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Thanks so much everybody!!!

I just knew you were the best people to ask. You are giving me some great pointers. I really hope I'll be able to get somewhere with it.

My best to you all.

--Merry

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EBAY, Ebay, Ebay! Last summer I supported my self and kids for two months on with Ebay sales.

Or

Private, one-on-one tutoring for kids.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad
    also a market in the medical fields for medical transcriptionists, which you can do from home.

My neighbor does this and loves it. She's making nice $$ also. Plus the company pays half of her Comcast provider for her.

HappyDad

• Valis
    Valis
    I've sold Southern Living AT Home for a few years now,

*LOL* Big T I had no idea..

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I have an at-home, part-time job doing transcription for a local college. Educational transcription jobs are rare, but medical transcription might be an option for you. Can you type like the wind?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit