Market day in Goedereede......

by Country_Woman 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I finally found out what I had to do to copy pictures into my laptop - and found some I want to share with you.

Goedereede is a very old city and there are always lots of tourist looking at the typical old houses. Nice detail, the first picture showes "Hotel De Gouden Leeuw" this house is also known (in Goedereede) as the Popes House: the only Dutch Pope ever did live here for a while. Don't ask me which period - I don't know.

On this particular market day there was a group showing old regional costumes - and they even showed what was under..

Hope you like the pictures.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Bravo!

Beautiful town too.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Looks lovely - funny, I was just thinking how much i miss that scenery and up pops this thread!

Thanks for the memories CW - maybe Mrs O and I will get there on our next visit?

Cheers, Ozzie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nice pics, Branda. Thank you for sharing that
    It makes me want to do some more travelling this Summer!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Can't you find you way home, LT? I know what it is, they cut off the ferries, eh?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The ferries are doing fine (although it's blowing up to a hooly of a gale, this morning - it woke me, ergo this indecent hour), I'm just making up for lost time with my wanderlust

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Ozzie & LT - when you ever visit this part of the Netherlands - I hope to see you around.

Goedereede is kind of an exception here. It is really "old" (but still small) and was an important harbour and trade city. It still ain't overcrowded with tourist (except on these market-Thursdays) so you are able to walk or sit down for a cup of coffee (or something else) in peace.

The other places are more common (no harbour for instance) you know, church-grocery-school and that was that. Due to the space this other dwellings have enlarged substantional, gained much more inhabitants then Goedereede -have more shops, but are'nt that nice to walk......

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Branda,

I only wish I was coming over right now - just wishing and hoping! When we do come we'll come as more than toursist - Nora knows what I mean.

Right now I have this urge to get on a tram again and then on a train into Germany for the day, or maybe to my friends in Brussels. Strange, eh?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Ozzie, not at all strange..... Holland is a lovely country (in my opinion - and I am not willing to leave)

but I do have a disillusion for you: in MY part of Holland and on the islands - there are NO trams, only coaches , no trains either. The nearest Metro is in Spijkenisse (20 minutes by car away) The nearest tram in Rotterdam (35 minutes by car away). The trains are above the big rivers: Schiedam and Rotterdam (35 and 45 minutes by car)

I have to admit: I am not fond of public traffic at all, I prefer my car no matter how overcrowded the traffic is......

But, when you are in Amsterdam - (and I think you will mainly be in this city) then the tram is great. Driving in Amsterdam is a real disaster in my opinion (and I am avoiding the city - Amsterdam - as much as possible). Viv on the contrary loves Amsterdam.

I am only seeing one solution: Once you are back here for a while you give me a ring - take the train to Rotterdam - I collect you there and we are visiting those little towns by car......

Branda

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

CW:
    Sounds beautiful, or is that mooi?

You know, Amsterdam is one place we won't be at - our interests are maybe closer than you think!

Cheers from downunder and ten hours in front,

Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit