Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe in God?

by Gill 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

I don't think they do. If they did they would not feel the need for things like Judicial Committees. They'd leave it to God who supposedly can see all to judge peoples heart condition.

I remember a young sister who left home and went to live with her boyfriend. The parents were 'adamant' witnesses but did not want their daughter judging by the JC so they advised her to refuse to see the elders. Now since the elders are 'the stars' of the congregation appointed by God's holy spirit, you'd supposedly be worried about disobeying these men and fear God's retribution.

The parents said, that since the Elder's daughters, several of them, had not been disfellowshiped for living with their boyfriends, and even having children, then their daughter would 'not be getting into trouble either'.

Now putting aside the fact that I both agree with and am impressed with this couple for the support of their daughter, doesn't it make you wonder if JWs actually believe that there is an Almighty God Jehovah watching them and keeping his congregation clean with a 'fine' body of elders.

So, do JWs believe in God and fear him, or do they just worship and fear the WTBTS, which is what I think.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I don't think they do. If they did they would not feel the need for things like Judicial Committees. They'd leave it to God who supposedly can see all to judge peoples heart condition.

But you could make this remark about most religions . Take fundamentalist ISLAM - they do not believe in God - well they can not possibly - because if they truly believed that Allah was all powerful and nothing can happen unless Allah willed it - then why fly planes into buildings - if God is all powerful he could bring down the Twin Towers etc They would leave everything to Allah.

• Gill
    Gill

Stilla - maybe non of them believe in God. You can make a pretty good case for no persons who claim a religion to be acutually following its beliefs. It's more a club membership thing that you tend to be born into, have no choice about and then do what you want anyway. But the JWs would probably still be chopping off hands and stoning to death like some mid eastern religions, since DFing is in theory a death sentence.

• lilybird
    lilybird

Witnesses are taught to have faith in God based on the teaching from the Governing Body, The problem is- people find it hard to believe in something that is not tangible-even if they think their belief is based on faith alone. That is why they depend so much on teachings and publications from something they can relate to, a group of men claiming to be God's earthly representatives. So really, they don't believe in God , it is the God presented to them by the organization. A God that is their interpretation.

• Gill
    Gill

HI lilybird,

I think they probably fear 'Satan' and believe in him more than they do in a God.

• lilybird
    lilybird

Yes .I agree with that also, Gill... JWS had been taught to fear Satan in their lives,, The whole religion is based on fear really.. afraid to displease God,, afraid of Satan taking ahold you (dont' go to apostate sites!!!). But most of all.. don't displease the elders and the society!!!!

• rekless
    rekless

I came to the conclusion that My God was the organization;therefore, when I left I had a problem of who was God and where should or where could I go. then realizing the GB was not the channel of God, but coniving liers,they and the organization no longer held me captive,and at that point I became free and God became real and not an organization.

• Honesty
    Honesty

When I found out the truth about the troof I figured those bastards in the GB had lied about everything else so rather than become an atheist I went looking for Him.

Their freaked out God with his death sentence they handed down to me is Nothing, Nothing, Nothing. The GB has a GOD THAT IS FULL OF CRAP.

One day my God is going to let me see the WT God be a thing of the past.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

<----This one sure doesn't!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gill:
    I think you have a point.
    Many people are more concerned about appearances, rather than what their invisible deity thinks.
    This was especially seen at Elder's meetings

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit