I just don't get it

by robhic 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic

My poor JW girlfriend is in the hospital with some seizures and other related neurological problems. She is heavily sedated, partially restrained, is generally "out of it", has no attention-span and her short-term memory is about 1-2 minutes sometimes.

Now, much to their credit, some from her congregation and even an older elder (is that redundant?) which, from the horror stories I've read here makes him an exception, visit regularly. So much (OK, they live close to the hospital) that it is an annoyance to me and to some extent the family (who aren't JWs).

Now, here is my question: on the windowsill in her room are Watchtower and Awake! magazines. I really don't think she reads them at home (she isn't the best JW...) so how could anyone expect her to read this in the condition she is in? She couldn't really hold the mags, can't even get to them (!!!), wouldn't comprehend what she's reading and even if she could comprehend wouldn't remember it.

Can they really be expecting her to read these things? Is it just a reflex to place literature? It baffles me. Are they placing for someone else to take the literature? I see mags in the waiting room for that. But in this woman's room? Jeez, why?

Thanks for any insights.

• NoBorg
    NoBorg

Thats just how it is.

You go someplace where other people who don't read the magazines, might, Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust might, and you leave them. Who knows, you could save the life of a janitor who comes in to dump the trash in that room and happens to read them. No wait, ... the janitor would already be saved because he would BE a JW already working the night janitor shift so he could pioneer during the day and place more magazines in other places since the hospital is already covered by the "older elder".

Does this answer your question? It's really quite simple.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I think it's partly habit to place the literature anywhere they can. They may be hoping that YOU read it and they may also be hoping that the nurses may express intrest. Just my guess :)

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Can they really be expecting her to read these things? Is it just a reflex to place literature? It baffles me. Are they placing for someone else to take the literature? I see mags in the waiting room for that. But in this woman's room? Jeez, why?

they just can't stop doing those stuffs for any reason you can find, and anyway they don't even realised how much odd it is (in her situation, and most of the time to place JW magazines, magazines, magazines) ... so

• Odrade
    Odrade

Robhic, while it's nice that they are visiting, I suspect it has more to do with the non-JW family. Easy way to count time, go visit the sedated girl and provide theocratic "encouragement" to the unbelievers. I think it's called "giving a good witness." If all parties concerned were baptized JWs, you'd probably see the elders and pioneers coming around less frequently.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I always check for WT and Asleep when at Dr office because WTBTS tries to keep them away from deprogrammer (apostate) like me. Good logistical support to see newest WT propaganda. I will take all I can find.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Its a service the JWs provide anyone that just might be going fishing and need something to wrap there catch in! If they are lucky, when the person cleans the fish, the rag mags will be used to wrap up the guts and heads when they are dumped in the garbage.

It's a tough job, but somebodies gotta do it!

carmel

• avishai
    avishai

Arrrgghhhhh!!!! OK, this is going to KILL me to say this.( First off , lemme say that I am soooo sorry for what you and she are giong through. As an epilepsy sufferer myself, i know how bad it can suck and how scary it l, looks due to having family who also suffer from it.) BUT. Having something, anything from her past familiar, especially something that has been around in her life a lot like the wt and awake is a GOOD idea for a memory trigger, regardless of how vile. Damn that was hard to get out.

Rob, I'm here for you in whatever capacity you need, seriously. Medical research, etc. I am so sorry

• Quotes
    Quotes

robhic, I hope your girlfriend is back to normal ASAP.

As for the mags:

(A) Someone sees this (consciously or subconcously) as an easy placement opportunity. The elder gets to count his time visit your girlfriend as preaching time at the end of the month, i.e. it's counted same as door knowcking, perhaps he feels a big guilty for the easy hours (compared to actual door knowcking) or pehaps he knows if he spends 15 hours this month hospital visiting, but has no magazine placements, his report will look bad.

(B) Despite eschewing object veneration, some JWs seem to treat those cheap pulp-rags as some sort of talisman. They would never admit to it, if questioned (ok, maybe some would!) but their actions clearly indicate that they venerate the mags and think they are necessary to "help" in cases like your girlfriend's.

(C) Gotta leave them somewhere! A hospital seems even more appropriate than a laundrymat, and they leave TONS (literally) at laundrymats.

Choose any or all of the above.

avishai: I agree a memory trigger is important, but I would seriosly question anyone who would use "the latest Watchtower and Awake! magazine" as a memory trigger. If it's a new issue, she won't even recognize the cover photo, so no trigger there. Yes, she might recognize the mags as WT mags, but big deal. I suggest her (and now I'm going to have trouble saying it...) BIBLE would make more sense. An even better idea would be a cherished toy, stuffed animal, hairbush, favorite clothing item, throw pillow from the couch, half-worn-out PJs, bathrobe, that goofy family picture that has be on the fridge forever, etc. If someone actually is thinking that WT & A! are suitable for this situation, then that person should just give up now and drink the Kool-Aid. ;)

~Quotes, of the "hoping robhic's girl gets better real soon" class

• Scully
    Scully

None of the nurses where I work would read the mags. They would, however, double-glove and drop them in the nearest waste receptacle.

While I can see the rationale for using them as a memory trigger, I tend to agree with Quotes - probably a futile effort overall.

On the other hand, it's not uncommon to experience a feeling of powerlessness and helplessness when a friend or loved one is hospitalized, and JWs have been well-trained to feel that this is one of the most helpful things they can do for others. This is likely what I suspect has happened... it's just a knee-jerk reflex for them.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit