AlmostAtheist, Your Answer to PM

by JamesThomas 35 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

JT - A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

and their mindless followers lost site of their teachers vision and made a religion out of it

This is so very true especially of Christianity. IMHO it was Paul who took control and turned it into HIS religion for his own power and redemption. I don't know enough of the trappings of Buddhaism to make a comments; except that if it has "trappings" it has become a religion.

I have never believed Buddha to be a "god" or "diety". To the contrary, my earliest understanding of him (besides my mom telling me he was a false god) has been a man on earth who, through his own work became enlightened to the reality of human existance (life is pain). He was a simple man, and a master teacher.

In JWism I never believed in the deification of the Christ including the scripture where he insists he not be bowed down to. His fulfilled purpose on earth was to relieve man of the incessant regulations and power of organized religion. Yeshua was a simple man, and a master teacher.

I have also come to believe that the core of (almost) every religion is that of love.

For me it took delving into native american spirituality, ceremony, and denial of and giving of self (personal sacrifice), that took me outside of myself to the mystical, and began my own enlightening process. (The way of the pipe, not the way of the peyote - they are not compatible)

Gaining insight into the workings of the earth and universe(s) has given me a glimpse of the agnositc god I believe in.

JT, LT, Ona, I very much enjoy your comments.

Brenda

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

James Thomas,

Happy birthday to you!

Reading your posts is always hearing the beloved sound of "home". A home I need not be afraid to be far away from: whatever the journey I know I'll end up there.

Much respect and love to you,

Didier

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

You've got the words for my thoughts, too!

Happy birthday, JT!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Poppers, Thanks for YOUR words, the smoothness of which is poetry. Your longer posts have been especially beautiful. Hope to see you more often here.

GetBusyLiving, Yes, i love it, it certainly is "just all "pudding"; unless one sees for one self. You are right on the money.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind comments; and as far as "insight" and shared feelings: just under the turbulent surface there is a stillness and a center which we all share, so it's not surprising when there is mutual understanding. it's more surprising that there is so much disagreement among folks.

Lonelysheep, You are too sweet, and not to diminish what you PM'd, I'd like to say that we can not see in others what we do not have in ourselves. I'm sure i must have borrowed those words from somewhere, but i know for a fact they are true.

j

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Brenda:
    I loved your post. Completely on one side, however, I'd just like to correct this:

In JWism I never believed in the deification of the Christ including the scripture where he insists he not be bowed down to.

I don't think that's accurate

This is so very true especially of Christianity. IMHO it was Paul who took control and turned it into HIS religion for his own power and redemption.

I agree that much of Christian religion is like this. However I'd just like to add that that isn't necessarily what being a "Christian" is about, if indeed one takes that title.

• codeblue
    codeblue

James:

Sorry to just be getting back....

Thanks for answering my questions about your life as a JW. I find it very intriguing that they could df a person for not praying to Jehovah. But I guess each elder body can impose any kind of judgement they see fit. I know of many cases where they don't even follow their own: "Pay Attention To the Flock" book. By not applying those instructions, those elders should be df'd.

As I look back, I clearly see this religion and many as just a club. A club that imposes "their rules" instead of the divine ones written in the Bible. Pharisees to the max, who's only mo is to have a power trip from controlling others.

CodeBlue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit