Quotes website: Defending and Legally Establishing -- an Update

by Quotes 101 Replies latest members private

• JeffT
    JeffT

1) I don't remember seeing this in the earlier thead, but the fact that they are coming after you is an admission that the quotes are accurate and originated with the Watchtower.

2) If they do come after you read the entire site into the court record. That is a public record and you can quote it to all you want.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

JeffT - brilliant!

on observation and suggestion!

• Quotes
    Quotes

JeffT: great suggestion (I wonder if the judge would go for it? reading the entire site would take days).

And yes, it did occurr to me that they are not coming after me for DEFAMATION.

Even though I have been accused (usually via email) of speading "lies about JWs/WT", they have not come after me for defamation/libel.

Their actions prove that *THEY*, the WT, are responsible for the quotes at my site. Oh man, they make this TOO EASY!

~Quotes, of the "contemplating suing WT for libel" class

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Their actions prove that *THEY*, the WT, are responsible for the quotes at my site. Oh man, they make this TOO EASY!

I hope so...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Getting a lawyer on your side is a great feeling. Those guys (and gals) really know how to frame an argument.

Thank for the update, Quotes. Major kudos to you for not giving in to pressure, and congrats to your lawyer on a job well done.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Quotes, I don't think you'd actually have to read it to make it part of the public record. Just print it out as the court to make the print out part of the record.

Further I'd make them sue you. As a defendant you can ask all sorts of questions in depositions by stating that the information requested is necessary to your defense. They will have the option of providing it or dropping the suit.

Asking about the flow of information between the local BOE's and Bethel would be very fertile ground and it might well impair their ability to fight of the pedo suits.

• catchthis
    catchthis

I can almost guarantee now that you have an attorney and have fired back a letter to them, they will not pursue this in court. It will not happen. We already know that the BS CD is legal, from a copyright point of view. And the quotes are easily justifiable in dealing with fair use. There is no way that the WTS will want to take this to court and air the older quotes. And they also know that they will not be able to do anything about your site in court.

I hope I am wrong as I would love to see a showdown between attorneys.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Holy Legal Work, Batman! The Jehover's have been put in their place.... we hope.

Goodonya Quotes!

• researcher
    researcher

What a joke.................. copyrighted material??? Well. lets see, Maybe the NWT itself is a violation of copyrighted material,,,,,,,,,,,, if the orginal authors would of copyrighted the hebrew and greek text.............. where would the NWT be? Copyright.......... anyone who tapes a TV show on a vcr is technically violating a copyright,,,,,,,The ones at Bethels have VCR's in their rooms, and tape stuff, thus violate the same copyrights they claim to exact on others.... Hmmm,, Let me see, gulp the camels and strain the nats............ That particular lawyer.....is one of the biggest hypocrites around. How do I know? Hmmmm How do I know.......

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

BTTT

Steve.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit