Ugly People

by Fe2O3Girl 95 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

1. Do ugly people have a right to normal lives - relationships, marriage, families?
    2. About half of us must be below "average" attractiveness. Maybe XJWs are on average more gorgeous than the general population.
    3. What can you tell about a person by their facial beauty or lack of it? Can you tell if they are smart, kind, hardworking, if they would be a good friend or a bad parent? A good leader?
    4. Should all ugly people hide from public life, or just ugly women?
    5. Are you better looking than average?

By way of answer:

1. I'm with Derek, on this one. How is this a "right"? They should be free to have normal lives, though. That having been said, there's a good case for intervening in the ability of certain individuals to procreate. The Darvin Awards seem to cover ways in which this has been self-imposed.
    2. If you take all the "average" peoiple out of the picture, what's left must necessarily be half below and half above average. But what have statistics ever proved, in the subject of beauty?
    3. You can tell that they were blessed with reasonable genes in connection with physical features. As for some of the other things you highlight, I think some of these can be discerned from observation. That doesn't mean to say that a beautiful person will be a great parent, any more than an ugly one must be an imbecile or a murderer.
    4. Gender aside (wtf has that got to do with anything, anyway?) some should. Quasimodo was a prime example. He ignored that rule to his detriment
    5. I haven't the faintest idea. I am what I am. I can pick out a dozen flaws with little or no effort. What is the "average"?
  • mkr32208
    mkr32208

Well that depends my wife and I saw a woman a few years ago who literaly turned your stomach she was so ugly... She should definatly be wearing a veil in public! (in her defense she WAS a crack whore)

There are some truely fugly people out there but they shoudn't have to hide! How about someone who is disfigured in an accident or someone who is handicapped? I do think that much of this thread was posted in a spirit of fun but still.....

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

What is "normal"?

What is "average"?

I try very hard to not judge someone "beautiful" or "ugly" for what I see on the outside, their shell. But to judge from what I see in their hearts and their minds and with how much love and respect they share in the world around them. I too find a lot of beauty in a person's smile and their eyes. Physically their mouths or teeth or eye color may not be that attractive, but if you look...really look, you see their soul. To me that is what's beautiful...or sometimes ugly.

I have for whatever reason been given what some might consider beauty. On my good days, I feel charming or cute, not beautiful or pretty. (Except maybe my wedding day, I felt pretty that day. ) I take good care of myself, I have a decent sense for fashion, and I make sure I'm always clean and smell good. I've found that some people judge me negatively for that. They think I'm a bitch or selfish or arrogant. If they took the time to know me, they'd realize I'm not that at all. I make the most of what God gave me, but I realize physical beauty is not what I'm going to be thinking of on my death bed. Hopefully, there will be a myriad of reasons to leave this earth sadly, but what I looked like isn't going to be one of them.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Do ugly people have a right to normal lives - relationships, marriage, families?

Of course they do, more so than beautiful people.

What can you tell about a person by their facial beauty or lack of it?

If they are really handsome I can usually tell that I don't like them right off. I can tell that they will be treated better than me. I can tell I'm going scratch their car with my key when I walk by it.

Can you tell if they are smart, kind, hardworking, if they would be a good friend or a bad parent? A good leader?

If beautiful I can tell right off that she is unkind, mean and stuck up. I can also tell that they are only good friends to their own kind. They would never be a good leader for being so selfish, but will get to become a leader because they look good.

Should all ugly people hide from public life, or just ugly women?

Yes they should give up and hide from public life and be the ones who actually do the work behind the scenes, but should always look for ways to make the beautiful front people look bad.

Are you better looking than average?

No. I'm about a 3.9 on a 10 scale, thus the bitterness!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Is this what inspired this thread?
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/85019/1.ashx

At least she's too old to breed.

• Pole
    Pole

derek,

About half of us must be below "average" attractiveness.
    That's true by definition.

littletoe,

If you take all the "average" peoiple out of the picture, what's left must necessarily be half below and half above average. But what have statistics ever proved, in the subject of beauty?

Slightly off topic, but these statements are not necessarily true. There is only one measure of central tendency - the median, which works like this regardless of the distribution. Other measures such as the mean and the mode are much more sensitive to the distribution curve. So the big assumption you seem to be making is that beauty has a more or less normal distribution. (there are very few extreme cases)

Does it?

From what I know intelligence for one, especially with men is not normally distributed.

Pole

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ... ConfusedJW !!!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

confusedjw,

Maybe I'm being too sensitive to this, but why do you feel it's okay to judge beautiful people the way some judge ugly people? It's no different. Personally, I find your comments rather along the same lines. Judgemental is judgemental.

Andi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Me thinks he was joking BillyG. Sheesh, you drop dead gorgeous people are so sensitive!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

BillyGoat/Andi ... it's all about fun on his/CJW's poste (based on true behaviors I think ... ) don't worry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit