MOTOVATION FOR BEING A JW ???????

by vitty 21 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

What was your motivation for being a witness?

1) Love for God?

2)Appreciation for Jesus ransom sacrifice?

3)Fear of armaggedon?

4) Living forever in the new system?

5) Social life?

6) Social status eg pionner Ms, elder (felt good to be important)?

7) Pressure to stay in from family or friends?

8) Any other

Which do you think is the most common reason for the majority of Dubs still in ?

I think its the fear of armaggedon, that was my reason for many years though it changed to social life after a few years.

• vitty
    vitty

I think this is the first time I got no replies!!!!!!!!!!!

• glitter
    glitter

1) Love for God

3)Fear of armaggedon

4) Living forever in the new system

In no particular order.

I didn't really think about Jesus much when I was in.

• Gill
    Gill

Fear of Armageddon

Wanting/expecting to live forever

pressure from relatives

Not wanting to get 'told off' by the elders.

Having been brought up a JW, I had no choice but to be one as I was browbeaten into the religion. I was told lies that i believed even though I new they were irrational. But fear of any consequences kept me and hubby prisoners for far to long.

Now we just think, 'we really don't care what they do or think any more.'

I even went into Sainsburys and bought lottery tickets at the cigarette kiosque!

Cool and Rebellious or What!!!!!!!

He he! Gill of the 'still not ready to give my real name yet class!'

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Learned it as a boy , family peer pressure, never studied anything else, at high times, love of god - at most of the time in adult life, simple inertia by keeping busy and "jus rollin along"

• unique1
    unique1

My reason: Parents told me it was how I could follow Jesus example and please God, which I wanted to do.

I think alot of people stay in because it is all they know. They are comfortable. Why mess it up?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

FEAR FEAR FEAR

Of everything. In that order.

If I told of a human that did even just one or two of the things God is purported to have done or the WTS says he will do, he would be seen as a psychopath.

Anyone else would have been locked up long ago.

Any human displaying his need for praise and adulation, his jealousy, his homicidal anger would fail to win anyone's admiration. Except cult clingers...

HB

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I have no motivation whatsoever. This is why I've left mentally and emotionally.

Hanging in there by the thin skin of my teeth, just to keep lines of communication open with my close relatives. Very painful experience, though.

DY

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

1) Living forever in the new system

2)Fear of armaggedon

3) Pressure to stay in from family or friends

I once had an argument with my dad after an assembly talk that said that JW's main motivation was love for God and it didn't matter if the new system wasn't a real prospect we would still attend meetings etc. I argued that all JW's main motivation was the new system as it was a carrot in front of the donkey situation and without the prize at the end there's no point continuing. That's why the society was always making up dates and saying armageddon was just round the corner to keep every generation of JW's trapped in fear and hope.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

I was expelled from my mothers womb, and that was all it took for me to be a slave to a book publishing company.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit