How much RAM do you have on your machine?

by Pole 45 Replies latest social entertainment

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I'm thinking of getting another gig.

lol... dude, I think you need to enter a RAM 12 Step program.

Half the battle is admitting that you have a problem.

• Pole
    Pole

Step 12 being IP_SEC's configuration. lol.

Pole

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

My Commodore VIC-20 has less than 4KB of available RAM when I fire it up... "3583 bytes free" :)

• Pole
    Pole

I used to have Commodore 64 (64K RAM). Is this VIC thing an older model?

I remeber I could play some really cool games on it.

Now you can't write a few freakin' pages of text in MS Word without going over that amount. Who cares about memory-efficient programming these days?

Pole

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yeah, the VIC-20 is the 64's predecessor. Back in the day I was pretty cool since I had a huge 8KB expansion cartridge I could plug into the back!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Who cares about memory-efficient programming these days?

Good point. Unfortunately it's simply not cost-effective for software developers to spend lots of time optimizing code. It's not a *necessity* any more.

• Pole
    Pole

Wow, 8KB extention!!!

Good point. Unfortunately it's simply not cost-effective for software developers to spend lots of time optimizing code. It's not a *necessity* any more.

Plus, it may be some sort of conspiracy inspired by hardware-producers :-).

Pole

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

..... one

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Man... I'm getting old. Guys used to sit around talking about how many horses they had under the hood, and how much the new headers were going to cost...

J

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

There's no way I could possibly beat you because (1) I don't have one of my own; I use the ones at school and (2) the computers that I work on in the labs get sabotaged so there's no tellin' how much memory I have.

laters

kaykay_mp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit