Refusing magazines/books from JW relatives

by JustTickledPink 31 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My relatives stopped handing me literature a while back. Every summer, I get the convention release from my parents.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

All I can say is GOOD FOR YOU! I know what you mean by thinking nasty funny thoughts in your head. Even though you do not do it ...it still puts a smile on your face and a silent victory with out hurting anyone.

My Sister asked me if I would like some mags...I told her she can bring them over at anytime. However, I aslo told her I wasn't going to plan on reading them. It shut her up. Honesty hurts but it also helps. I am glad for you and you have the will power to stand up for yourself. And if anyone has a problem with it let them because they don't know who you are and what you have gone through. Hell my mother looks like a god damn saint but behind doors its a different story. I hope you have many silent and out loud victories!

Brooke

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen
    And by the way... those garage sale trinkets and dishes she dropped off for me... her gift??? Well, she asked me to pay her $27 for them because she went out of her way and picked me some things up. So I actually was nice enough to pay her for them, even though everything wasn't my style or taste. That's how she gives me gifts, recycled garage sale or thrift shop finds that she charges me for. Maybe that is why I felt a bit snarky about the whole thing.

Tickled Pink, $27 for garage sale crap? Could that be her way of getting a 'donation' for the wonderful spiritual feast she delivered?

Off topic, but we have wonderful witness relatives who operate in the same gift-grift style. Is this a standard operating procedure for witnesses, or are we just related to people who have elevated donation solicitation to an art?

• Mary
    Mary
    JTP said: I specifically told her I don't want any publications and she slipped them in anyways

Well my opinion is that it would be in incredibly bad taste and lack of respect on your part if you gave her a cross . Instead, you shud get her a copy of Crisis of Conscience or The Gentile Times Reconsidered and just slip it into her hand along with some other stuff and watch her head spin around........heh-heh-heh...........

"2 wrongs don't make a Right"

Sure they do.......it's the only way some people learn.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    "2 wrongs don't make a Right"

Personally, I don't subscribe to this cliche. There are times when retaliation in kind is essential, and there's nothing wrong about it. It helps to teach the offender that actions have consequenses. If someone hits me, they'll get one right back. If someone spews religious propaganda at me they will hear my rebuttal. If they give me watchtowers, I'll put them on my Christmas card list. If they don't like it they should re-examine their own conduct.

Walter

• Odrade
    Odrade
    Tickled Pink, $27 for garage sale crap? Could that be her way of getting a 'donation' for the wonderful spiritual feast she delivered?

LMAO! My mom gave me a magazine last night. She said it was because it had "an interesting article about shrimp." So I open the magazine, it's one page of article and one page of pictures. There are 5 shrimp on the pictures, and one is totally mis-labeled. I pointed out how they got the wrong name, and it was like she couldn't comprehend the word "wrong" in the same sentence with "Awake!" LOL.

Anyways, that's irrelevant. My dad gives me gifts from the dumpster all the time. Last week he gave me two teddy bears for my dog. "I got 'em out of a dumpster!" Hahahaha! It's like he won a carnival prize. Hilarious! He's never asked me for a donation though. They got me this crappy beatup nightstand from a garage sale, I think for a dollar. I actually use it, but only because I'm too busy to go buy one at the moment and I got tired of my clock on the floor. Hubby HATES it though.

It's definitely worth a few laughs. (Not the WT giving, just the dumpster diving.)

My MIL gave the kids she takes care of the David and Noah DVD. Whatever that is. I told the mom to only let them watch it if she previews it first. I don't know what dreck is on there. It's like the whole tipping thing--leaving convention releases instead of the tip. Yeah, they think it's valuable, but to NORMAL people, it's just a waste of time and paper.

Odrade (who shouldn't post while doped up on migraine meds...)

• inquirer
    inquirer

---Beck_Melbourne---

My mum always gives me magazines, and then she says 'oh but you better not read it, or you'll get scared'....ie. the end is near and all that shite. I just smile at her quirky little ways and put the magazines on my coffee table to make my apostate friends eye's pop out when they visit.

On the other hand, if my grandmother were to offer me or give me publications, I would be inclined to refuse them. She has a manner that offends me, yet my mother doesn't. Funny that.

~Beck~

___

---inquirer---

Did she actually say those exact words "oh but you better not read it, or you'll get scared," meaning that the end is near. :(

That's what I hate about Witnesses. Is this end is coming stuff all the time. I am sure Jehovah makes the final analysis of someone of whether they should be there or not! It's really up to you and on one else. Your mum (I don't mean to be rude) should back off!

• inquirer
    inquirer

---lisavegas420 ---

On the last phone conversation with my dad, (about 2 years ago) I told him that no has ever been to our house. I mentioned that I couldn't get a subscription to the magazines either. He said "they stoped the magazines subscriptions, and you probaby wasn't at home when the JW's came by". ...I said I'm always home or either someone else is here.....He said... he would send me some liturature....he never did.....weird.

___

---inquirer---

That's another thing I hate about Witnesses. They say they are going to do something and then don't get back to you. Like they don't care or something. :(

• inquirer
    inquirer

JustTickledPink, I know what you mean, alright? :( (I am just sad because it's a difficult situation.)

• inquirer
    inquirer

---rebel8---

Have the same prob with my JW mother. Have been asking her for 15+ years to stop sending me stuff. Believe me, I am all for good manners. However, there is a point at which it's appropriate to stand up for oneself. When repeated requests to stop giving offensive materials are ignored, that is one of those times.

It all hit the fan when she sent a card addressed to my new husband (not to me), full of witnessing. (It was soooo whacky, BTW, of the "call the men with the straightjackets" variety. I had mentioned to mom that DH had taken a vacation day off to unwind because he had been working so hard. She wrote about what a great "employer" the big J is, how he doesn't cause stress for his "employees", how she wishes he would convert to being a JW, etc. I wish I could have taken a photo of the look on my husband's face when he was reading it. Priceless!)

I ripped up the letter, put it in a Christmas envelope, wrote a note saying I would no longer be accepting any written materials from her. Tries to give me stuff, I inspect the parcel thoroughly before accepting it. Anything mailed is marked "return to sender, refused" and mailed back. I told her if she continues, I will cut off all contact with her. Since then, she has been behaving herself, but I know it's only a matter of time, and I plan on keeping my promise.

That event is what spurred me on to join these apostate boards and begin writing a book about leaving the JWs. So I guess it had a positive outcome after all, just not the one mom had hoped for!

__
    ---inquirer---

This makes me upset this! What kind of people are they! It just becomes spam after a while... if you don't believe it. I think that put a "bad spin" on Jehovah God. :( It's not a good witness at all! And no pun intended at all!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit