Refusing magazines/books from JW relatives

by JustTickledPink 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Recently my mother dropped in on us and in front of other people, very nicely handed me some trinkets aka dust collectors for my house and some WTS magazines. The way she handed everything to me at once I just held out my hands and took it all.

I threw the magazines away immediately, I consider them trash and don't even want them around... but then decided exactly what I was going to do. I am going to buy a yard sale cross or Virgin Mary statue and give it to my mom.

I specifically told her I don't want any publications and she slipped them in anyways.... so, on that note, she hates any religious icons, I am going to give her something that she doesn't want. Of course she will tell me that she had to throw it away, but I think it would be hilarious.

Also when she invites me to the Memorial, I am going to politely decline and invite her to my house for Easter brunch.... invite her to all of our CELEBRATIONS!!!! After all, she invites me to hers.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Good one!

Not long until she gets the point!

Kwin

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I don't know that it would really help your situation and may just p*ss her off so that she doesn't want to talk to you anymore.

How about just using the mag's to line the kitty box instead? They are also useful to put under the engine of your car to keep any random oil drips from staining the cement...

Jean

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I refuse literature. I just tell them I don't want it and won't read it. If they press, I ask if she'd like pamphlets from the UCC or the latest edition of the Gaily Oklahoman. When she says no, I say alighty then. And the point is made.

Of course, I do occasionally ask for literature when I want to research something.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

So much for "blessed are the peacemakers."

That's no way to treat your mother, regardless of her guile.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink
    That's no way to treat your mother, regardless of her guile.

What does that mean? No way to treat my mother?

By buying her a gift? By inviting her to my home for a party? Actually I thought I was being nice!

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

JTP.... It just sounds a bit sad thats all. If you don't want the magazines fine, use them as kitty litter or shredded hamster nests or whatever anyone on here suggests, but she is your mother. Even if you dislike her and have no respect for her anymore for whatever reason, drop the handing her a statue/idol whatever it was for a laugh, just smile politely hand them back, and say "No Thanks".

Just my thought

Scoob

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Wow, I am surprised that you guys criticize Tickled. We're not talking about this happening once, it's something that's been discussed. She's not being rude as much as she's trying to get her mom to see what it feels like.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Valiant......that maybe true, but as my old Granny used to say "2 wrongs don't make a Right".......No one is criticising Tickled just offering advice.. Now from this she can either take it or leave it (like I've been told in my dilemnas!)

Sometimes, I learned to rise above it. And thats a good thing

Scoob

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

True enough..and my mom and I have the sort of relationship where we can be blunt without hurt feelings. Not everyone is that lucky.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit