Caught in a Trap...

by Pensive 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pensive
    Pensive
    Hi All!

I have not been a member of this forum long, but I am so glad to have stumbled upon it. I have read a lot of your experiences and some have made me laugh, and some have made me cry, but for each and everyone I read, it spurs me on to put forward my own. Sorry if it is a bit long. Please be patient!

I'll start by telling you where I am at with this Jehovah Witnesses thing.

I was not - thank God - raised a Jehovah Witness but I was raised an Orthodox Christian (but they are a pretty messed up bunch as well). The Orthodox Church is heavily steped in tradition and my childhood was pretty miserable because I was inhibited b y traditions, customs and superficiality. My stepdad was and still is - an angry man and would beat up me and my brothers at the slight hint of bad behaviour. We feared him and absolutely hated going to church. I left home in london as soon as I could at aged seventeen, and went to 57 miles away to University in Oxford. This was the start of life for me. I did almost everything I could not while at home. I was so lacking in self confidence and self-esteem and craved acceptance I entered into a lifestyle of unprotected sex with different men of different ages at diiferent walks in life. My relationships were short-lived, wild , and often overlapped - before I ended them, I already started up new ones. Most of the guys I dated I never saw a future with, I was only attracted to their wallets, looks, or physique. To them I appeared intelligent, witty and outgoing while I knew deep inside I was an emotional wreck, and lonely. This lifestyle went on for about two yeas until I met someone I thought I loved and wanted to settle with him, only to then discover he was married with a child and was simply using me for sex. I paid him back by sleeping with most of his friends, but this gave me no satisfaction and I simply felt cheap and worthless. I was so burnt out by my experiences, I could not concentrate on my degree, so I dropped out but could not tell my mum until a year later. While I was deciding which way to turn in life, in the year 2001 and aged 22, I met someone online. In the first instance, nothing was unusual because I had met a few people online and nothing became of the friendships. His name was Pete and to all appearances, he was simply just a 'nice guy'. He was not even that good looking, (and I have a weakness for good looks), although he did have a 'butt' to die for! Obviously, we did meet up a few times and we spoke on the phone for hours at a time . He listened to me and although we were the same age, he was just so wise! I didn't know I was falling in love.

What seem to 'clinch' the deal for me, w as the fact that at no point during our dates did he once ever make a move on me. Sure, we kissed and we held hands, but he did not 'try it on'. I was so baffled by this behaviour that I began to wonder whether I had lost my touch - I mean, how could he resist my eyes, or my shapely legs, and did he never wonder what I looked like naked? I started to question. He told me that he was a Christian and did not want to displease God etc. etc. I was not turned off by his religious side and actually found his spirituality very endearing - so deep, profound and honest. I never met a Christian who actually practised what they preached and felt that maybe there is a God reaching out to me, his lost child, through this wonderful man. Three months after meeting me, he asked me to marry him, and I said yes. I followed him back to his home town to meet his family and we got married in a registry office in Summer of 2001 two days after my 22nd birthday.

Just before we got married everything seemed so perfect and normal up until he started to 'coach' me on things to say to his parents. You see, I never understood that I was marrying a 'JEHOVAH'S WITNESS' to me, I was just marrying a 'Christian'. I was not a church goer, I knew virtually nothing about the Bible, I mean I couldn't even tell you where to find the Lords Prayer. I believed in the Trinity, but this was because I was brought up to believe in it, but I never understood it. Just before I met Pete's parents, I remember being told to rehearse the answers to questions like 'how long have you been in the truth?' (I was to answer 'only a few months) 'Are you baptised'? (answer = "not yet, but I am studying"), 'Which congregation do you attend and how many publishers are there (can't remember the answer I was told to give here, but probably something like 'Oxford' and '150') there were other questions we prepared for, but for those we couldn't, Pete said he will help me along with a series of prompts, suggestions or may just answer for me. I slowly began to realise that this Jehovah Witness thing was not your average Christian group and were a pretty inclusive group with their own language and interpretations (please note that Pete's father was an elder and his whole life revolved around his beliefs). Anyway, we pulled off our plan quite well and left Pete's parents convinced I was a decent Witness girl and therefore suitable for his son. We returned to the UK as man and wife and very happy.

Then came the shock. I was married. And not only was I married, I was married to a JEHOVAH'S WITNESS. I had not taken the time to 'really' get to know him and I slowly began to dislike what he was about. He was completely chauvinistic and controlling. He started to force me to attend meetings, Memorials, Conventions and Assemblies. One year into our marriage, a Bible Study was arranged and soon Sandy and Chris were knocking on my door every Saturday afternoon with the 'Knowledge that Leads to Eternal Life' book at the ready. The study was orchestrated entirely by them without room for spontaneity. I enjoyed their company, but I quickly realised there were attempting to 'indoctrinate' me. I found the people of the Kingdon Hall very plastic and smiley faced. Everyone seemed to be a happy to be part of Jehovah's exclusive Kingdom and will bounce around the Kingdom Hall having polite conversations about Sister This and Brother That . When I first started to attend the meetings, I would be surrounded at the end of the meetings and invited to all sorts of events and dinners. everyone seemed to know my name and wanted to know everything about me. I was never really comfortable and never felt easy about the 'package' of being a Jehovah Witness, I dunno, something just wasn't right. I somehow sensed a falsehood amongst the people and their doctrines just didn't make sense and was force me to rethink all that I believed about being a Christian. How could so many 'Christians' be deceived and this small group have 'the truth'?? Then I began my research: I spent hours on the internet, I ordered books through Amazon.co.uk and spoke to Church leaders (I was very friendly with a pastor who lived nearby). Through all this searching and praying for God to reveal his truth to me, I then concluded THE TRUTH DOES NOT LIE WITH THE WATCHTOWER.

I have never ever doubted the existence of God, and if I am thankful for anything at all, I am thankful that through the Watchtower organisation, I have attained a deeper and truer understanding of Who and What He is and this experience has brought me closer to my Maker. I am a Christian (the born-again kind that every JW despises) but I do not attend any particular Church or belong to a specific group.

Where are WE at now? Well, we have come dangerously close to divorce more than twice and I have left the maritial home once for a period of 5 days. This was following physical abuse (him on me) and or long periods of silence where he would pretend I did not exist and basically shun me. This was normally over very petty and silly things which he would drag over days and simply won't brush over. He has serious anger control problems which he is still working on.

I am gonna wrap this up now, because, I am pushed for time. The deal is, Pete and I are still together. We still have problems and he is still a Witness. Sometimes I hate him, and sometimes I love him to bits. Right now, I am torn either way. I would see a future with him, but not the Watchtower involved. I can see it tearing us apart. I do not want to have a child for him because I am scared the Watchtower was screw up their brains. I sometimes wish there was a simple answer to this all.

Any advice would be appreciated

I will write more soon

**NAMES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO PROTECT THEIR IDENTITIES**

• Maverick
    Maverick

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your account!

The first real red flag should have been Pete's wanting you to help him deceive his parents. This is one very selfish, calculating fellow. He will do well in the borg.

Cut your losess, leave before you guys have children to screw-up in this mind-control cult!

The past does not equal the future, go back to school, finish your personal goals, and you will attract a person worthy of you.

Good luck, Maverick

• under74
    under74

Pensive- Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. I wish I had a bit of advice to give but because I've never been in the situation you find yourself in I can't give any. I know there are others on the forum that have been in the same place and hopefully some of them will see your post soon.

All I can say for now is, I'm sorry for what you're going through and I hope to see more posts from you. You're not alone.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Pensive, welcome, love the name.........

I remember being told to rehearse the answers to questions

From my experience a LOT of JWs have live a lie to accommodate their real feelings - or else do things clandestinely. Either way, it isn't good for the soul. Perhaps that's why many JWs suffer mental illnesses, always trying to compromise......

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Pensive -

Welcome to the forum. You have captured the essence of the witness mind-control. I cannot relate to your experience precisely, as I have nothing in my past to compare. But I feel for you indeed.

My wife (and best friend) and I spent all our lives as witnesses. We left a little over a year back, after becoming convinced that the 'truth' does not dwell with any one group exclusively. Wifey and I have always been 'on the same page' - both during our decades as witnesses, and since leaving them. To me, that oneness of unity with your mate is crucial in this life.

I cannot advise, but some times it is better to 'cut your losses'. On the other hand - can he be made to see the need to look at the witness religion from a different angle?

I would recommend two books for you to read and pass on to him if possible;

Crisis of Conscience - Raymond Franz

In Search of Christian Freedom - Raymond Franz

Mr Franz was a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's witnesses, and a full time witness for 45 years before leaving due to conscience. Many witnesses have been helped out of the organization by his kind words and clarity of understanding about the culture of JW's.

Jeff

• holly
    holly

Welcome to you

interesting to read of your experience. i too have a background of how warped things in a church can be. i dont have the jw experience, ive never been on, just had a study thats all.

youve come to the right place if you are looking for support. you will get plenty on here.

hope your time on the board is enjoyable and different life experiences of different people will help you to move forward in your own life.

holly

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

This guy as crossed any line that even the witnesses would consider ok. Talk about not basing a marriage on trust.

Sorry.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Pensive!

That sound like a very clever trap you fell into. Hubby got what he wanted, deceived parents and a wife who doesn't know the full ins and outs of being a JW. I'm sure there are quite a few in this forum who have partners who are JWs and they're not and will be able to help you. Sounds like your hubby isn't a 'real' dyed in the wool JW either, just pretending to keep friends and family happy, but too confused to take the major step of leaving on himself.

Perhpas a little guidance, as mentioned above from Crisis of Conscience etc may help. But if he remains violent then my advice to you is leave. That's something that just gets worse.

Good luck, Pensive!

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I agree with Jeff, cut your losses now, This guy is not going to change for anyone, he is a very selfish person. Besides why would you want to be with a spouse that is abusive?

You sound like a nice person, go back to school, get a hobby, and get away from him.

Incidently I would write a letter about how he decieved you and his parents and give it to them and maybe even is cong.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Pensive, welcome to JWD. I'm at a loss to figure out any scenario that would result with your and Pete being happy without you caving in completely to the WT. Then, as you seem to be an articulate and inteligent person, I can't see you being happy in the role of dutiful stepford jw wife taking a third class seat.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit