DID OUR PARENTS REPLACE BIRTHDAY OR CHRISTMAS GIFTS WITH ANYTHING ELSE?

by diamondblue1974 25 Replies latest jw friends

• POs Son
    POs Son

If you look back a few pages on the site, you will find a reference to "Family Day". Several of us described the replacement holiday we received as kids.

(Ex)POs Son

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Of course there was Turkey Day feast.

On my birthday my mom always baked a cake. Her excuse was she wanted to try out a new cake recipe! No gifts.

However, like FranklinJ my parents handed me everything I wanted on an aluminum platter. If I wanted something I'd get it. I was given an allowance for jr hi and highschool. I was bribed with a car to leave school and go into the ministry. It was a 4-door Ford Farlane. When I was no longer interested in trying to pioneer and my car had a carburator fire, my dad replaced it with a 67 Mustang!

Inspite of the religion, I was well treated and cared for. My only complaint was their shunning - and that has ended.

• Iskra
    Iskra

In our family only wedding anniversaries were celebrated and the children of the couple celebrating were given gifts so they wouldn't feel "left out".

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I bought my children gifts at convention and assembly times. They usually got some kid friendly notebooks, one of those pens that has several colors of ink, and little stickers or other things to make the convention fun. They got to open those little presents the morning of the convention/assembly.

I also got them each a toy they'd been wanting. They had to make a list, so they never really knew which one of their requests they were getting. I would wrap them and put them on the table before we went to the convention/ assembly, so they could take a guess at what was in them. They got to open them as soon as we got home, and I took pictures. We usually had something special for dinner, too.

Plus, there were various "just because" gifts throughout the year.

I'm actually worse at giving gifts now than I was then:( But I'm working on that. It's still very hard for me to remember birthdays!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Twice ever in our complete whole childhood did my sister and I ever have what they called a "present day."

The rest of the time, no, not too many presents.

• Valis
    Valis

We usually got a toy on my parent's wedding anniversary, but that aint XMAS or a birfday by far!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit