Celebrating my birthday...

by Jankyn 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Hi, all.

I celebrated (yes, indeedy, right down to cake and singing) my 45th birthday on Saturday, and I learned a few things in the process.

My partner, who is appalled that I never had a birthday party or presents as a child, decided to make my birthday a week-long celebration. Each day, I had another gift--little things that she knew I'd like, like a box of Almond Roca, a little plastic moose (I love moose-s), and a book about natural ways to get the slugs out of my garden. And each day, she made up a little poem about how glad she was that I was born. Then, on the day of my birthday, we went out for a prime rib dinner. (There were other, more personal gifts given later--*chuckle*).

What really struck me was how the important part of the celebration wasn't getting stuff, it was knowing that she was thinking of me, and that she really is glad that I was born and that I'm in her life.

Whether or not JWs really believe the trash they mouth about not celebrating birthdays, it struck me that what JW children are really deprived of is that sense that we're each inherently loveable and to be treasured for who we are, not for how much time we spend in the service or how eagerly we raise our hand at the meeting. It's a lot to miss out on.

But gosh, I feel loved today.

Jankyn, grateful to be 45

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Good for YOU, Jankyn! And a happy belated birthday to you. I'm glad that it turned out so nice for you.

hugs,

Annie

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Happy Birthday!

• TresHappy
  • diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Happy Birthday....you are so right...there is absolutely no biblical support for the non celebration of birthdays and you have hit the nail on the head havent you; (idea for a new thread actually)...the reasoning behind it is to take away any self esteem our children have....after all how many of our parents or how many of we as parents replace birthdays and christmas with something as personal as gifts?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Happy b-day!!! It was very sweet of your partner to make it a week long celebration.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Happy Birthday!

Isnt it fun?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Jankyn,

!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Sounds like a beautifu week, you special person you.

P.s. Isn't it amazing that, after your celebration, no-one gets a head on a plate!

• clementine
    clementine

happy birthday!!!

celebrating birthdays only means you love the person, I can't see anything bad in that, and it makes such a great pleasure!!!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Happy Birthday! It is nice to be shown a little something extra on that day, isn't it?

The first time I celebrated my birthday was when my hubby, unbeknownst to me, got up early and made me a breakfast in bed as a surprise. We were both starting over and didn't have any money for gifts, but that breakfast in bed meant so much to me. As well as the 'snuggle session' that followed.

Welcome to the world of being able to celebrate life?s events!

Jean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit