Bicycles.....need advice.

by Lostreality 14 Replies latest social physical

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Okay, i got a bike a couple days ago to ride to work. Problem is, work is 6 miles away. Wouldnt be a problem normally..but im living in a very VERY windy city. Both to and from work, somehow, the wind (very HEAVY) was in my face slowing me down. I couldnt even go DOWNHILL without struggling. Any advice on how to dampen the effects of the wind?

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

lean way far forward over your handle bars. tuck your elbows in. Get a cool areodynamic helmet like Lance Armstrong in the time trials and see if that won't cut down on the wind resistent.

I'm assuming you have enough gears and can power through them

ps and cut out smoking. eventually it won't be so much of strugle.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

You probably are already doing this, but streamlining your body by bending low to the bike should help quite a bit. When you are sitting up straight, you're fighting the wind with your entire upper half, but leaning low minimizes the amount of surface area hitting the wind and giving resistance.

- CF

• JH
    JH

• Beans
    Beans

Gear down!

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

im talking in low gear its a pain to do that...

• zev
    zev

you might have the wrong bike, set up incorretly or something.

you want to make your body as aerodynamic as possible.

a bike with the "old fashioned" rams horn type handle bars is best. allows you to drop down and slipstream yourself.

if your sitting up practically straight, you are acting like a big parachute. its no good dude.

a bike something like this.....

is much less wind resistant, and your position will allow less air to "drag" on you.

a bike like this......

very bad for aerodynamics, but good for other purposes.

hope that helps.

see ya...

zev/harold

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

How about getting a bike that is part electric? My boyfriend has one. That might give you some extra power that would make it easier biking against the wind.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

If you havn't ridden a bike on a regular basis, you may just need to work your way up to it. Six miles is not too bad, but if you are not used to it, you are going to have to give your body time to adjust.

Jean

(ps: I hate the head-wind when I ride too.)

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

yeah, i havent gone riding since id say at least 2003, and im quite out of shape.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit