JW young people...on the move...to where?

by Gill 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

You're right JTP!

It must be a very stressful way of life.

I know I was threatened with violence and I'm not talking spanking here, from my parents if I ever did anything 'wrong'. And I know my youngest sister 'got it' quite often from them as she broke away. So they've got pressures in every direction really. I know that's why I stayed JW as a teenager but why I stayed so long afterwards was sheer ignorance of the facts.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:The problem with all that is some think that's how it is in the "world" all the time,so when they can't keep up that lifestyle they return to their vomit-WTS-and try to be happy.

That is just it. Its so drilled into the witnesses heads that all the world is is partying and getting wasted that when we would go out for a good time that is exactly what ended up happening, over and over again. Shitfaced, guilt, shitfaced, guilt. You had two choices of groups to associate with in the hall: the uber-witness freaks that had no grasp on reality whatsoever or the quasi-witness mush-for-brains that are not quite bright enough to figure out how fucked up the organization really is. They are always on the fence, trapped. They usually get married young and work with other witnesses, so leaving just isnt a viable option. Nothing to look forward to but perpetual ignorance.

• happy camper
    happy camper

I can tell you one thing: Being a JW kid and teenager sure teaches you how to be a great liar and sneak arounder.!!!!!!!

I was a master at it, and so were all my friends.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I still think there are a lot of witness youths that don't do much they are not supposed to. They are not all wild.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Case in point. I was the bookholding, watchtower underlining, bookstudy conducting teenage JW super nerd. My mom had to sit me down on my wedding night (18 yrs old) and explain the 'facts' to me. I actually didn't know what was going to happen....

Can you say, BLIND?

Jean

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I think the deal is that the kids are a product of their parents naivety. They are raised in an environment where EVERYTHING is right or wrong, good and bad. Everything is 'thus' and 'therefore'. The whole world is set out for them and everything is already nicely figured out. Any experimenting or free thought is 'bad' so low self esteem is rampent because they have to fight against their own brains to be 'good'. I've seen the results of this shit with my family and all of my old witness friends. Their growth is totally stunted because of that organization. The only ones that can turn out half way normal are those that break away from it early or have parents that arent very 'strong' in the 'truth'. Its really sad to see old friends and family intelectually stunted because of the ignorance of buying into some shitty cult.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

...to the local liquor store to get shit-bombed.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    JW youngsters are in the local pub after each meeting and have to be thrown out at chuck out time.

Could someone educate me? Did you mean "check out time" or is this some Brit term meaning "as soon as they start to throw up?"

• Makena1
    Makena1

Served as an elder for only a few years - but many of our elders meetings, and the few judicial meetings centered about "double - lifers"

After leaving, I felt a lot more empathy towards "the kids in the hall" and the unrealistic standards. This is one area where I agree with the Amish - who let the young people sow some wild oats and then make a decision to officially join the church and accept a code of conduct.

BTW - loved that story about the drunk JW's playing pool - hope their consciences bothered them for more than a minute or two!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit