A Divided Household

by HadEnuf 24 Replies latest jw friends

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Whilst taking my morning shower, where I always seem to do my best thinking (please, no rude remarks concerning showering, thank you)...I got to thinking about my dad. Our family was raised JW's; except for my dad, who KNEW BETTER! He passed away about 20 years ago and today, whilst in my shower, (oh yeah, I said that already)...I thought how hard that must of been on him. Being surrounded by a family of crazies. He never knew the joy of celebrating his children's birthdays. He never knew the wonder of Christmas mornings and the excitement of kid's opening gifts. He had few friends; because my mom was pretty strict about not associating with those nasty worldlings. What an empty life it must have been for him. All because we were in a cult. I was glad the water was spraying my tears off of my face. I don't know if there is a heaven or what happens when we die, but if there is a heaven, I hope he's up there doing all the things he never got to do while imprisoned in a JW family. I wish we had all known better. I hate the organization that took so many simple joys away from him, and our family. And I know that he would never be shunning me like the rest of my family. He KNEW BETTER! I miss you dad. I love you. Be happy wherever you are.

Just needed to say that today.

Big hug to you all...Cathy L.

• kls
    kls

That is sad but such a loving tribute to your dad .

• clementine
    clementine

this is something i often think about. i want to be a teacher in primary schools and i was this automn in a class which was composed of five-years-old children. we talked a lot of christmas, and i thought it must be horrible for a JW-child to feel different from others and to see all the class feeling glad excepting christmas, whereas he perfectly knows he won't do anything special on this day. i think that when you're only 5, it must be hard to understand...

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon
    What an empty life it must have been for him. All because we were in a cult.

I get the feeling from what you've written that he made up for it in the love he must have had for his family.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

(((hadenuf)))

J

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

(((HadEnuf)))

I think your father was a wonderful person, and he must've loved your mother so very much to endure such life being an non-JW. Be proud of the person he was, and be happy that he held on through.

He showed a lot of character and self-control. More so than any JW ever will.

DY

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

kls...thanks for the kind words.

clementine...I know exactly what you mean. I am thankful everyday that my grandchildren will not be subjected to being "different" and sitting in the library during holiday activities. It was so lonely. I remember like it was yesterday. So much to expect out of innocent children.

mtbatoon...you brought tears to my eyes. He did have love for us. How else do you explain staying with us all those years?

jeanniebeanz...thanks for the flowers!

Doubtfully Yours--I only now appreciate how much "character" my dad did have. So many things I wish I could say to him now.

• blondie
    blondie

Hey girlfriend. When are we going to get together?

I'm sure your dad knew you loved him.

Love, Blondie

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

((((Hadenuf))))

Your father reminds me of my husband, in that he endured my jw's holiday/bday shunning so as to support me. He was ok with avoiding those things at home and raising our kids to do the same (at home). He just never stopped them from participating with his family.

Once I stopped studying and attending meetings, I realized what I was forcing him to miss out on certain things since they are his kids too. Your dad really loves you a lot and did comply out of love, I don't doubt.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Showers are my best time for "thinking" too. I'm sure your dad is fine on the "other side", checking up on you now and then and, as always, proud of his daughter.

btw, I like your avatar.... you look sort of like a Christmas alien....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit