Chauvanism or Chivalry?

by stillajwexelder 27 Replies latest jw friends

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Funny Avashai....BROADS!!!

I like to have doors opened for me, but I don't get offended if a man does not. On the flip side, what about when I hold a doo open for a man? Does that make him feel less manly? It just seems courteous, as when I reach a door at the office before a man and hold it open for them. Most times they seem embarassed!

Most men to me these days just seem indifferent to chivalry.

WW

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

There are a lot of women who still value and cherish chivalry. I enjoy having the door held for me and enjoy being treated with respect by my man. I do not feel that I am de-valued because of such actions, quite the opposite. I can see from other posts here that I am not alone.

I think it is sad that men are afraid to act in this way or compliment a woman on anything out of fear of being labeled a chauvinist or committing sexual harassment. And, I think it is equally sad that some women are offended by such comments and actions.

Chivalry, I'm afraid, has been dealt the deathblow by the feminist movement. I know, I know, I'll probably get clobbered for saying that.

Jean

• Simon
    Simon
    If she is driving, do you help her get in and out of the car?

Wait a minute, get in a car with a woman driving?!? Whoa Mr Chumley Warner ...

• prophecor
    prophecor

Chivalry covers not just my wife but all women, to assist her in a moment of need or even in the rare occasion of crises, IE being assaulted by a schizo boyfriend or even her husband, a man should never stand for that or allow that to happen to another woman in his arena. Even should that put himself in danger of bodily harm, we as men ( real men ) are required to step to the situation to assist her, by any means necessary.

Also to assist, if required, in problems with their vehicles. I say if required because we can no longer assume that women know nothing about cars, in fact, some women enjoy taking men down a notch when asking does she need help with her car when she knows how to fix things on them without a mans help.

Then there's the other side of that coin where a guy just wants to use that situation as an opportunity to put the moves on a woman, which in many a case, she would be better off getting the help from someone else as this clowns only motivation is to sieze an opportunity to make a hookup with a woman in a moment of need.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I love it when my husband opens the door for me - he almost always does. I have given my seat up on the bus for people that really need it - man or woman. I don't think just able bodied men should be expected to do that. I've given my seat up to pregnant women, elderly men and women, a mom struggling with kids, strollers or groceries, or anybody else that looked like they needed it.

I always say thank you to anyone who holds a door for me. I think men really appreciate it especially, they get so many mixed messages from society, should they hold the door, or will it offend us women? You poor guys!! Very rarely when I hold a door for someone do they say thank you. Sometimes when it really bugs me if they don't I'll yell out "your welcome!". Common courtesy should be extended to everyone - regardless of gender.

BB

• prophecor
    prophecor

Civility has been lost in this society.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon
    stillajwexelder : what do you ladies like

the best answer to that I've had from the Mrs is "not needing to be asked". As I like a lady thats a challenge thats fine by me.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Almost worth a thread on its own - but my wife expects me to be a mind -reader - (aka not having to be asked)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit