Mindless Meetings and Bored Dubs

by TheListener 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheListener
    TheListener

"We'd like to excuse those that have talks in the second school, and those that would like to listen."

Alright, so I am sitting at the meeting last week and I hear that very typical repetitive announcement. I start to look around and I realize that it is the same people every week who go to the back to sit in the second school. The only different people are immediate family members of those giving a talk. My god, how routine and brainless everyone has become. Not just this particular issue but during the service meeting I began watching people and seeing how dull their eyes were. I am amazed at how glazed over everyone looks.

Have you noticed that when the question is asked at the end of the bible highlights that it is the same 1-3 people every week who make us some lame comment about what they appreciated? I do. I think it's their one chance to appear righteous, give a comment and not have to worry that someone else will take their comment.

I have also noticed that each time a question is asked (whether at bookstudy or regular meeting) that the conductor has to wait awhile for some hands to go up. In the old days the dubs would fight to be the first with their hand in the air. or was that just stupid me!

Just mental ramblings. It's hard to attend every meeting and smile and talk and walk around like I believe all this SH*&%^T. Of course it's worse when you get a talk or outline that you just can't stomach!!

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Yes - too many just go through the motions. The zeal and enthusiasm of years ago has all but disappeared.

Eyeslice

• vitty
    vitty

Its truly amazing, no one want to do or give there talk, theres so much else to do!!!!

Then when you get to the hall no one is listening, there so bored to death, then after the meeting you get the same ones saying how good your talk was. They say this to everyone reguardless if it was good or S---T

These are the same ones who answer, every week, on how they where encouraged by this weeks school.

I would fall out with my teenage kids and husband every week cos they would "look bored" or sigh too loud even though I was screaming inside myself

What a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Agree with your comment, Eyeslice. So true!

DY

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Listener

Remind me again why still you go to Meetings??Family reasons?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Can you imagine? The opportunity to plug into God's direct pipeline and it is described in such terms! I would thing that if Christianity is the only true religion and that JWs are the only true Christians, every meeting would be as thrilling as one could imagine. On the other hand those assumptions have long since been in doubt.

carmel, who has not been in a dubby down meeting for over 45 years

• tepic
    tepic

I've found it helpful to cut a few pages out of IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM & read them during the meeting.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I've found it helpful to cut a few pages out of IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM & read them during the meeting.

ROFL..... just don't get caught, or you'd be in the backroom getting grilled faster than you can say FRANZ.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

well, I just covered the book with a bible cover from walmart and read it during the meetings. Same with CoC. No one really pays attention to ya at the meetings. They are all worried about what they are going to say to impress everyone else at the meetings.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Listener:

Spot on. Your observations are reflected in every congregation I know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit