Ex dubbies everywhere

by Buster 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Buster
    Buster

Dub: One of Jehovah's Witnesses. Derived from the 'Dub' in Double-U

CO: Circuit Overseer, leeches making a full-time living off the sheep.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yeah, Buster....I'm thinking about getting a T-shirt that reads..."XDUB"....that oughta be a conversation-starter.

Frannie

• betty boop
    betty boop

Yea the guy i have been dating used to be a dub. Well he was never baptized but he did go to meetings and assemblies till he was like 10 or 11. Another coincidence with him is that when i met him he told me he worked at the bank in a museum. My sister was working there and it turned out they know each other. Small world

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

..."XDUB"....

Problem is, Frannie, someone will take it as a political statement these days... as in eX DUBya Bush

• holly
    holly

Ok thanks for that info. circuit oversears get paid? i was told no one in that org gets paid, its all voluntary. have i been mis-informed????

• Raphael
    Raphael

CO's do get paid as they serve as full time ministers within the organisation, it is not a great deal of money and is more of a living allowance...

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Two months ago we were in a restaurant and I heard the conversation behind me.

Linda, are you planning that birthday party for your little boy. Oh yes, but Dave's parents have informed me they're not coming this year and they won't be sending a card or present. Dave's parents are studying with Jehovah's Witnesses and celebrating birthdays is a sin against God. I said to them this is your only grandchild and he will miss his grandparents. They said that Jehovah wouldn't approve of the birthday party. They said they will send presents after his birthday...

Linda then used some expletives to describe her in-laws....

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Problem is, Frannie, someone will take it as a political statement these days... as in eX DUBya Bush

Ya think, Brenda? Maybe I should make it "XJDUB" then, eh?

Frannie

• willyloman
    willyloman
    circuit oversears get paid? i

No, CO's do not get "paid" a salary. They are volunteers. They do get a lot of expenses reimbursed, though. At every visit to a congregation, the elders ask for and recieve a list of all the CO's expenses for that week and they write him a check. In addition, many witnesses slip the CO or his wife a "thank you card" which almost always contains cash. CO's are "off" on Mondays and well-heeled members of the JW clan will often take them shopping to buy clothes or for a round of golf or snow skiing, all expenses paid. I served as an elder with a former CO and he was quite candid about the abundance of material goods and cash he received from brothers in various congos, without having to ask. They always had plenty of cash, nice clothes, and ate very well, often at the best restaurants (the tab picked up by their dub hosts). His biological brother had a pretty good job in construction and was always amazed that his sibling had more money in his pocket than he (the carpenter) ever did!

While some will point to this to prove dubs to be loving, generous and caring, there's a dark side in terms of motive. These same generous brothers often would not cross the street to help the less fortunate within their own congo (yes, there were exceptions). But the CO was a "rock star" of sorts, a VIP that some brothers and sisters wanted to "hang" with. The prominence rubbed off you when you spent social time with the CO. And of course there were rewards: parts on the circuit and district conventions, etc.

So, no, they don't get "paid" in the traditional sense. But any human resources worker can explain the "pyschological wage" that workers find very important and strive to get. It's all about prestige and perks, and for some guys, that's more important than a paycheck. (Also, you must understand that a lot of these guys never earned a very big paycheck in their "secular" life).

• Swan
    Swan

Frannie,

Ya think, Brenda? Maybe I should make it "XJDUB" then, eh?

How about a button that says it with a rebus. A lot of people will try to puzzle it out, leaving a more lasting impression.

XJWRU2?

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit