Disfellowshiped for reading Crisis of Conscience?

by Blueblades 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Is it true? Can you be disfellowshiped for reading Crisis of Conscience? Is that why some have read it in the library out of sight of other witnesses and Elders themselves read it in secrecy?

How would a Judicial Committee know what was in the book, unless they themselves have read it too? And if they did read it, they would have to be disfellowedship also. If they did not read it ,how could they disfellowship someone who has read it.

Has anyone heard of or know someone who has been disfellowedship for reading 'Crises'. The reason I ask is because a friend of mind is still afraid to read this book, worried that if he is found out he would be disfellowedshipped.

Blueblades

• franklin J
    franklin J

...I have been away from this way of thinking for 20 years...and I understand ( more importantly remember) the fear of doing something which would be misunderstood by the ELDERS....

But listen to what the question is ( and I apologize for responding off topic)

...someone is afraid to read a book....

Look at what this religion has reduced us to....

to answer the question, I do not know or have heard if reading this book is a disfellowshipping offense...

• garybuss
    garybuss

I personally know one person who was disfellowshipped for associating with a person who was disfellowshipped for associating with a person who was disfellowshipped for associating with a person who was disfellowshipped for associating with the person who wrote Crisis Of Conscience.

Does that count?

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

BlueBlades - am thinking there's different 'rules' for different peeps.......if anyone (whose face fits in the Congregation) reads COC, it's RESEARCH - reast of us, apostacy.

Garybuss - is that hearsay? If so - it counts lol

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Gary, the person who wrote Crises, was not disfellowedshipped for writing the book, so, why should anyone be disfellowedshipped for reading it? The person who wrote the book was disfellowedshipped for eating with someone who was disfellowedshipped.

Btw. what you described counts, because it is a sneaky way that the society, elders, get rid of people by attachments.

Frankie, it's sad but true, the society has a 'do not read list', just like the church has a 'this movie is condemned', remember that list. So, the brother is fearful of being disfellowedship for reading a book.

Blueblades

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I don't think you could be DF'd for it, though you'd almost certainly lose all privileges. And you'd be on the elder's radar for apostasy. Of course, if you shared anything you read with anyone, then you'd be sowing dissension and doubt, perhaps even trying to start a sect. After a "first and second admonition" they'd happily boot you out.

But the act of reading shouldn't be a cause for DF'ing. If some over-zealous JC managed to DF over it, it would probably be overturned on appeal.

On the other hand, maybe they could construe it as associating with a DF'd person. It's a stretch, but they might be able to make it stick if they already didn't like you. Like if you wore green shirts, white shoes, or drove a 2-door car.

But the earlier comment is the one to listen to, they are afraid to read it. Afraid, not of displeasing Jehovah, but of getting MAN's disapproval.

Dave

• IT Support
    IT Support

Hi Blueblades,

According to friends still in Bethel, almost every senior member of the Bethel family has read both Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom.

Allegedly, most accept the criticisms as valid and only stay on in Bethel because they realise there will have to be major changes to the GB within the next five to ten years. Their hope is that this will result in radical reforms which will justify their decision to remain in place...

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Another take on this.....when my kids were in their 30s and had their own places, one daughter (pioneer & elders wife) had popped in to one of my son's house (nonJW) and later he was telling me that he had been reading C of C.

It was on the coffee table, and she was by the front door and he realized it was in direct view when she'd walk in. He told me he tried to quickly toss it into the kitchen and hopefully it would land on the top of the fridge. It didn't. It sailed over the top of the fridge and hit the wall, and slid down behind it.

He said she walked in *just* as it made a thump on the floor! He said that had she seen it in the living room, she would have turned around and walked out-no question. Of course that would end ever having anything to do with him again. He was positive of that.

So even having it in someones home, a nonJW but raised as a JW, was equal to apostasy in their eyes. It's like having a pentogram or a crucifix on the door to them!

It seems to carry a LOT of weight, doesn't it? I mean...........the reactions to a BOOK? The WTS sure doesn't want anyone to read THAT!........

and get them t-h-i-n-k-i-n-g.............

Annie

• Brummie
    Brummie

I was privately reproved for reading 3 books including CofC, Thus Saith the Governing Body (randy watters) and Edmund Gruss Apostles of denial, I had the whole shebang, kh library, 3 elders etc... I remained a JW for 3 years after I read the book. I was not disfed but thats because I was repentant, perhaps I would have been disfed otherwise..

Brummie

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Repentant for what???

As far as I can remember the 10 commandments and the sins for not entering in the kingdom of heaven... reading wasn't anywhere on the list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit