Research Study Proposal: Cults and Psych Disorders

by kitties_and_horses_oh_my! 15 Replies latest jw friends

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

Thanks Lisa, Gill, prophecor!!

Steve, I'm so thrilled to know you're willing to provide feedback for me - what a wonderful thing to have such a resource available, I sincerely appreciate it! Part of my joy in knowing you are out there is seeing someone come from the dubs and that you've gone down the path I'm looking towards - exciting!

Thanks everybody!!

Hugs,

Kitties

• JAVA
    JAVA

I don't post much, but enjoy reading some of the threads. As an undergraduate (sociology major) several years ago (before the Internet) I did a study on former Jehovah's Witnesses. I still have a copy of it around here somewhere, and if you're interested, send an e-mail to my office address at: [email protected]

• one
    one
    My question, before I delve into this headfirst, is who would be willing to go to a website and fill out an anonymous but highly personal questionnaire about mental health, length of time as a dub, etc.?

What about those still inside the "cult", how are you going to find out about how they feel.

How are you going to determine if the illnes was caused by the religion or cult or something else.

I think that cults are just a magnet for people who are already "confused" to say the least.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

I would also be interested in finding out some more information on this study. With just my recent school knowlege, I would love to participate! Would be great to see in a journal!

• kls
    kls

That sounds great count me in.

• steve2
    steve2
    What about those still inside the "cult", how are you going to find out about how they feel.

This is a good question. My approach would be to first do surveys/research on those who have left - not claiming to be a "causative" study simply because you have willing participants right at your finger tips. Sometimes other research (which may have as its aim assessing the psychological wellbeing of "cult" members) may entail a lot more resources (especially access to funding and research ethics approval from relevant government and health bodies), and yeild only a small sample size from which more general conclusions would be harder to make. Based on what emerges from your project, you (and/or others) may then be able to further hone your research skills by taking on a more ambitious project.

Then again, some of the more "qualitative" projects do not claim to be representative samples and allow a reduced number of participants to tell their stories. Narrative-type research comes to mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit