Have many become atheists who've left the Watchtower?

by The Leological One 20 Replies latest jw friends

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Hi,

Thought I've never been a JW, my wife is, and she was DF'd a couple months ago when we got married (we were together a short while before getting married). Sometimes it seems she still tries to defend JW doctrines... others, it seems she's about ready to accept the idea of some other views (protestant), and yet I've wondered at times when she says she doesn't know what to believe if she's about ready to forget religion altogether. I'd prefer she keeps her faith in God but seek her understanding more from the Bible than just from other people's doctrines -- esp. ones that aren't clear in the Bible. I'm just greatly concerned about her emotional well-being, and I can tell she needs to feel she has something she can put her faith in that's not a constant condemnatory bombardment, i.e. the WT.

What do any of you think, and how do you feel about things after having left the WT or thinking about leaving?

Thanks for any info!

Leonard

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I left the Watchtower *after* I became an atheist, so my example probably doesn't count.

My wife, on the other hand, was always upset over what she felt was hyposcrisy. People would stand on the platform and tell the congregation about love and neighborliness and all that, but then she didn't actually see any. There is an artificial love -- the handshakes and hugs at the Kingdom Hall, the comradarie in field service, the get-togethers -- but there wasn't any actual stick-with-you-through-the-hard-times sort of love that she thought should be there.

Shunning people that are obviously repentant and trying to "return to Jehovah" always bothered her. (And me)

Gina has begun her search for God anew. She's poked into a few churches, read the Bible on her own, discussed other's beliefs with them, and she's coming around to a belief system she's comfortable with.

I told her that I now think the Bible can be used to prove or disprove nearly any doctrine you might want to have, and she seems to feel that's largely true. Even the apostles didn't speak of much doctrine, certainly not enough to fill an "Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry" book. They always focused on Jesus, even saying that if someone comes to you preaching Jesus, he's a good guy. Squabbles about celebrating certain days or eating certain things were discouraged, since they were viewed as of little importance. Let the one that celebrates, celebrate. Let the one that doesn't, not. No big.

I believe that the Watchtower sold us on the idea that there was One True Religion, and then sold us on the idea that they were it. Now that we realize they aren't it, we need to also question whether the "One True Religion" stuff was right. Most people feel that it isn't.

Hope your wife comes to grips with her faith. JW's "faith" is more based on fear than love. Fear of losing your "standing" in the congregation, fear of alienating your friends because they view you as a "doubter", and even fear of being DF'd for apostasy. Conformance is the order of the day. Real faith isn't based on fear. Have her investigate "grace". My wife has gained much comfort from learning about it.

Take care,

Dave

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I didn't become atheist after leaving... I left because I was an atheist.

Why was I a JW to begin with, you aks? I was raised in the religion... 3rd generation. Grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brother, sisters, friends. Leaving was a tough decision considering I knew I would be shunned by everyone.

There is a great deal of truth in the saying: To thine own self be true.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

[quote][i]Hope your wife comes to grips with her faith. JW's "faith" is more based on fear than love. Fear of losing your "standing" in the congregation, fear of alienating your friends because they view you as a "doubter", and even fear of being DF'd for apostasy. Conformance is the order of the day. Real faith isn't based on fear. Have her investigate "grace". My wife has gained much comfort from learning about it.[/i][/b] I can see where fear is a prime mover in the organization; very sad. I appreciate your response and am glad to hear your wife's doing better now with her own search, too! Leonard

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Losing family and friends can be a tough thing to swallow and keep one in. Quite a controlling situation; :(

• undercover
    undercover
    I didn't become atheist after leaving... I left because I was an atheist.

Why was I a JW to begin with, you aks? I was raised in the religion...

I like that explanation. I think I can relate with it. I too was raised as a JW, but I never felt a personal relationship with Jehovah, Jesus or any other invisible being that never made it's presence known. I used to think I was not trying hard enough, in studying, in prayer, whatever. No matter how hard I tried, it just wasn't there. After I realized that something was wrong in the world of JWs and that the WTS was duping me, I slowly realized that maybe I couldn't have that personal relationship with God because there wasn't a God. It wasn't an overnight thing, but after much research and soul searching, and claiming agnostism for awhile, I have decided that there is no invisible higher being. Does that make me an atheist? I guess by definition it does even though I don't like being classified as that or anything else. Claimg atheism is almost like claiming any other religion. I don't claim anything. I beleive what I believe whether anyone else believes it or not or accepts it or not.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I beleive what I believe whether anyone else believes it or not or accepts it or not.

I don't know, Undercover. That's sounding like apostate thinking to me.

Wuddaya think, Elsewhere? Shun 'im? I don't think we've got any other alternative...

• undercover
    undercover

LOL

So you guys are fundamentalist atheists? Is that it?

• dh
    dh

I think the whole God issue is down to what people want to believe. I've never seen any evidence for God existing and I've got no faith on the matter. I don't think that makes me an atheist, it just means that if there is a spook in the sky, it's got a long way to go before it gets a crumb from me.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I can so relate to those of you who say that you left because you were already an atheist. My experience is similar. I recall during my judicial committee meetings telling the elders that I just could not conceive of Jehovah as a real person. I never have been able to.

My general philosophy now acknowledges a creative force, but not a personal creator. It is shaped a lot by Taoism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit