Elders killed my cat

by spike 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Since I'm a cute kitty cat, they probably going to kill me.

• logical
    logical

OK.

Elders. Listen.

If you kill Fred Hall then you will be sorry. I will do things to you that even the most twisted men amongst you couldnt imagine, and thats gotta be horrific as I know you are sick as hell.

Killing a poor defenseless kitten is EVIL.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Spike,

Since this is your first post - I'm going to go out on a limb here and take your post as a True Event. I saw the thread yesterday, but decided not to comment because I've known a lot of animal deaths in my time.

First - a history of cats (that at least people in usa recognize). They are not universally liked - and some people kill them for sheer fun. As of two years ago, during a business lunch meeting, (I was only female present) some of the guys started talking about what a man did to neighborhood cat who kept walking over his car at night - very graphic. I left, had a severe panic attack - came back and private and told the guy of my childhood - he apologized. He had no concept that what he was saying about killing a cat could be taken as offensive. Just a funny story to him.

I knew boy teenagers (as a teenager) who hung cats, set fire to them, tied their tails together and slung them over clothes lines to see them fight, etc. I was raised a Catholic, btw.

Most everyone knows that the primary reason for the Black Plague in Europe was caused by the massive killing of cats (they people thought they were demonized) - thus, the rats took over, then the people died. Poetic justice.

I've been told by men talking about specific other men who did atrocious things to cats - and then laughed. If another acts insulted by such things, they just say "hey, I didn't do it - ...... did it."

It's not that far flung to imagine a couple of men - with Christian righteousness, the Bible, and the fear of Satan, to kill a small, useless (and defenseless) animal for the safety of a Christian. They used to kill and burn people for the same reasons, didn't they? Even in the USA, the infamous Salem Witch Hunt had the same outcome for women. I don't remember a man being killed.

I'm sorry it happened to you - but people, particularily in the throws of Christian righteousness, can be incredibly Vicious for Christ.

Nice to meet you - hope you hang around. We have all kinds of people around here.

waiting

• individual
    individual

This story of the cat may seem far fetched and strange but about 20 years ago in the congregation I was attending the elders thought that a teenage boy was demon possessed because he was hearing voices. We now know that the voices he was hearing were due to the strong medication he was taking for headaches. The elders were so convinced of this demon possession that they all met with him and tried to get rid of it using scriptures and prayers over him. I know this because I was there in the house at the time. It was a frightening experience, everyone was very confused. Nobody took him to the hospital although he was in a very bad way, after a few days of this 'treatment' he ran away but collapsed in the street. Upon hospitalisation they found out that he had suffered a stroke, he became paralysed down one side and lost most of his memory, he couldn't even remember who his father was. As far as I know today he has recovered and is still going to meetings, but this could have so easily cost him his life. It just shows that when you think that everything bad is caused by demons just how dangerous this fanatasism can be.

• Lindy
    Lindy

I am so sorry about your kitten. I have never heard of anything this awful up until now. How old were you at the time? At any age this would make you sick but if you were very young this must have been really terrible for you to deal with.

The 70's was fraught with "demons". They were everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. They were not just in houses, but in card tables, ashtrays, cameras, clothing, old books, couches, doors, games, toys. You name it, it had a demon in it. Old stuff was prime target for demons. They looovvved old things. Ever wonder why JWs back them had NO antique furniture? If a JW was having any problem that couldn't be solved almost immediately then "demons" had to be lurking somewhere close.
    My first husband and I were having lots of problems in the 70's. The elders told me to "clean house". So thinking that my older sister, not a JW, who visited fortune tellers had something to do with it, I took and threw our all the things that she had brought me from her vacations to Mexico. I then took all the old books that my father liked to collect and had given me, and put them out in the garage, disposing of them later.
    Such a relief! Now things would get better, right? Nothing improved over time. I still had the same husband, but all my special possesions were gone. As time told, I should have gotten rid of the husband sooner than I did, not the "demons"! LOL!
    It was indeed a crazed "demon" period of time. The JWs still have the "demon" thing going, but nothing like the 70's!! I guess it may have had something to do with the expectance of Armeggedon at any moment...with Satan running rampant and his demons looking to stumble any and all JWs! LOL

Still...I am so sorry about your kitten. I wonder if doing that deed still haunts the elders who participated. It should. I bet they feel like fools now!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Spike: When my wife was first starting to suffer from depression, the Elders suggested to me that it may be demons attacking us. She was a pioneer and I an Elder/Anointed. So, we found some of my dad's things, his TV and the like and tossed them into a pick-up and took them to the dump. It could have been worse, but I put a stop to it. But, killing your cat, without your permission - that is bizarre. - Amazing

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Spike,

First of all...Welcome! I hope you keep coming back and contributing to the board. You'll learn a lot of interesting things here and "meet" some pretty interesting people too!

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitten. I can't believe that the elders would do something like that! How sad! Know that you're kitten won't be forgotten!

Christian love,

Billygoat

• Princess
    Princess

Waiting,

Your story is terrible. How awful to see such innocent animals tortured like that.

I was in Salem a few years ago and learned there were men involved in the Salem witch trials. They tell the story of an elderly man who was killed by slowly piling rocks on him until he was crushed.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Princess

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Fred,

Somedays you're an absolute RIOT. Thanks for the chuckle.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

Gosh, as a cat lover myself, that really "burns" me. I haven't heard of other similar incidents. But, it does point up one blatant fact: JWs are by and large the most superstitious people that I've ever been a part of. I didn't realize it at the time, only after I left. They're so "spooked" about "spooks".

I remember also being under the same fears. I'd had some strange dreams in a house that I purchased in 1977 for myself, mother, sister, and niece. We thought for sure that there had to be some "demon" possession as the house previously had been owned by an avid [rabid?] Catholic woman. You know, crosses and statues of saints, pictures of Mary, etc., etc., etc., in every room.

When my sister came across a "Knights of Columbus" ring, we thought for sure that this was the cause of my bad dreams. She buried it in the backyard.

Well, I don't have "spooky" dreams now that I'm out of the JWs. Hmmmmm, mebbee the demon possession was real...mebbee the demons were amongst the JWs themselves!

Toodles,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit