seeking help

by stopthepain 15 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Hi, STP

Yes, please do seek the help of a qualified professional. I did not do this at first for fear that it would mean permanant medication and such, but after two visits to a professional and about 4 months worth of antidepressants, I was backed off and have been fine. Only wish I'd done it sooner.

Jean

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Hi Stopthepain,

I think therapy is good only if you see someone who is familiar with issues related to being a Jehovahs Witness. I went once even though I am not a JW but needed some help being married to a JW and all the issues that come with that.

The therapist just looked at me like I was crazy when I was telling her what was happening within the congregation and in my marriage. It made me feel worse.

What has helped me is associating with HAPPY ex-jw's. Not the ones that are grumpy and angry all the time. Talking with people who are open and caring and just being as far away from the KH as possible and knowing that I never have to go back in there again!

May peace be with you whatever you decide.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Hey, I know exactly where you're coming from. It's really tough to just move on. Sometimes the feelings of guilt and betrayal just consume me. Seeking out a good counselor is a good idea. Something that really helps me is to just write about it. I've found a couple of really nice people on this website who have helped me, by just letting me tell them what I'm feeling. I hope your day gets better. It's important to know that there's alot of other people out there who were left broken by this religion. If we can help, we will.

Dustin

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

thanks everyone!!I have been working some long days and couldn't reply sooner......Yeah,i'm still alive.I haven;t taken any steps towards help yet.Hopefully soon ,when I get my insurance back.Thanks for listening and responding.

• Honesty
    Honesty

By all means seek professional help. There are probably some therapists with JW experience near you. I have had 3 in the last 2 years. All during the same time frame. If you can go to a group of professional therapists it may be better for them because of the horror we've all been through in the borg. It may help them keep from going over the edge. I'm not kidding, the whole mental health care service had to pass me around between 3 kind, compassionate and caring mental health professionals because it would probably have done damage if I had only seen one. They were there and saw first hand the love of the organisation while I was still in it. This board helps a lot because so many others have faced the same 'loving arrangement' of Jove's the organisation.

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

I'm a firm believer in therapy. I think everyone could use some quiet time with a trained therapist to sort through things ... and if you're of the 'Grew Up Dub' class, like me, then you probably need lots of it.

I can say one thing though, in the short month since I stumbled onto this site, my eyes have opened up to a lot of pain I had inside about the borg, pain I sublimated for a long time. This site made me face it, and I never felt better.

I don't know your story, but since the borg are so consistent, it doesn't take to much of a stretch to hazard a guess ... just saying you grew up in it is enough.

good luck ......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit