George Carlin

by Golf 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Golf
    Golf

FORWARD

George Carlin (His wife recently died...)

Isn't it amazing that Geoge Carlin - iconoclastic and mouthy comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent ... and so very appropriate post 9-11.

"The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more,but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more convenience, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our pssessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.

We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice.We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier house, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it didn't cost a cent. Remember, to say, " I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be ther again. Give time to love, give time to speak, and give them time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.
    AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

If you don't send this to at least 8 people .... who cares?

George Carlin.

So true !!!!

I've repeated the story of my granddaughter not being shown love by her mother and over the past 4-5 years I made it a practice to hug her every time we see each other, WHAT A CHANGE! This idea of holding hands and kissing your mate periodically is a spiritual uplift.

Guest77

• prophecor
    prophecor

He has been one of my favorite top 10 comedians for some time now, has ascerbic wit and uncompromising honesty is what has endeared me to him through out all these years. Even before 911, when one of his greatest comedic works gave a reflection of a softer time in this country before terrorism reared it ugly head.

His struggles with addiction do not restrain me from listening to him, as I have no room or reason to judge him. I believe underneath that coarse, harsh often bitter exterior, is someone who has an incredible capacity to love and his love for truth finds its way in some of the most profound, yet fierce outspokeness.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    I've repeated the story of my granddaughter not being shown love by her mother and over the past 4-5 years I made it a practice to hug her every time we see each other, WHAT A CHANGE!

That's very moving bro Golf (my eyes have gone watery)

Creating a calm home benifits all. Too often adults fail to realise what delicate little mechanisms children are. Letting a child feel unconditionally wanted and loved is one of lifes greatest priveledges. cheers, unc

ps: little girls are wonderful ..you lucky lucky lucky bast.. grandpop!

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's a great piece, but I believe Carlin disavowed authorship of it.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    It's a great piece, but I believe Carlin disavowed authorship of it.

Oh roomy ...my dear bro 215 .. you can't just say that and run out to play on a minimus thread ..we need evidence .. proof man proof! When, where why... Oh how apostate standards are slipping! How did Carlin put it? We live in an age when lazy apostates create more darkness intead of light. unclebruce

• Golf
    Golf

Ubruce, It brings me great ECSTASY to hug my grandchildren. Personally, my mom never even ONCE hugged me, so, I'm making up for my mom while I'm at it.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Not from George Carlin.

Origins: In

May 1998, Jeff Dickson posted the 'Paradox of Our Time' essay to his Hacks-R-Us online forum, loosing it upon the Internet. The essay has since been attributed to comedian George Carlin, an unnamed Columbine High School student, and that most prolific of scribes, Anonymous.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp

Origins: In

May 1998, Jeff Dickson posted the 'Paradox of Our Time' essay to his Hacks-R-Us online forum, loosing it upon the Internet. The essay has since been attributed to comedian George Carlin, an unnamed Columbine High School student, and that most prolific of scribes, Anonymous.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

hey bro,

I am so looking forward to being a grandad .. come to think of it I don't think my mum ever hugged me (in view of a lot of the mommies boys about it's not so bad) I hugged my mum a few times when I got older and she didn't know what to do - went stiff as a board - she definitely never got hugs as a kid.

It's all hugs nowerdays though - AND I BLAME THE INTERNET! (((((((((((((((((((((Golf)))))))))))))))))))))))

best wishes, and may that sweet child and you always be close,

unc.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Well that is news, and here all along I thought that George Really had a heart, well I truly am miffed.

***runs out sobbing a group home orphan ***

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Well that is news, and here all along I thought that George Really had a heart, well I truly am miffed.

***runs out sobbing a group home orphan ***
    prophecor. I think it's the message that is important, not the bearer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit