GOING BY THE BOOK

by Schizm 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

This is a video by Johnny Cash (my favorite artist). The lyrics of his song are based on the Bible. As you'll probably agree, he doesn't really know what he's talking about ... probably 'cause he's listened to Billy Graham for too long. The song does have an interesting beat to it though. I'd really like to meet this man some day, as he's enormously talented. I have no doubt but what he'll be back in the resurrection. To see the video, click on the video screen.--Schizm. GOING BY THE BOOK Music Video .

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

John Lennon was enormously talented - I would prefer to meet him

• Schizm
    Schizm
    John Lennon was enormously talented

True! I have a couple of DVDs featuring John Lennon. He can really stir the emotions, and is one of the greatest musicians of the present age. His message was one of peace, but some rat killed him.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon

I think he was a little mixed up about God, but that can be fixed in the future ... after he's been brought back to life. The possibility of getting to know him personally is a pleasing thought to contemplate.

Imagine
    Imagine there's no heaven ,
    It's easy if you try,
    No hell below us,
    Above us only sky,
    Imagine all the people
    living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
    It isnt hard to do,
    Nothing to kill or die for, No religion too,
    Imagine all the people
    living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
    I wonder if you can,
    No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man, Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
    but Im not the only one,
    I hope some day you'll join us,
    And the world will live as one.

" Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink . I needn't argue with that; I'm right and will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity." - John Lennon

Here’s a nice site, dedicated to John Lennon: http://www.merseyworld.com/imagine/

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day Schism,

On one level Johnny Cash was embarrassing. The simplicity of his 'finding a savior in jesus' is embarrassing to those of us who like to think we're above such suppositious belief and psychological need.

On another level the man is an absolute legend the like of which we will not see again. Johnny Cash was a fighter for ordinary folk par excellence.

Christianity is a total fraud, started by Paul for political reasons but, christian or calithumpian, I will always be a big fan of Johnny Cash - his simple christianity, like that of Van Morrison speaks to powerful universal themes well beyond any religious label. In contrast, by denying the mystical, JW religion long ago became a hollow soulless void.

unclebruce

ps: John Lennon was really cool too - especially after Bob Dylan told him to get serious.

• Schizm
    Schizm

And g'day to you as well, UB.

On one level Johnny Cash was embarrassing. The simplicity of his 'finding a savior in jesus' is embarrassing to those of us who like to think we're above such suppositious belief and psychological need.

Perhaps you'd care to explain what hope you have outside that which the Bible provides as based upon the person Jesus Christ? Do you have something better to offer?

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

WOooOOO!!! You just posted your 666!

excuse the sidetrack schizm ..

I have something much better but I don't think I can tell you. Us Taoists believe that "truth dies in the telling".

I can tell you this with all certainty though - you will be far far better off, psycologicall, mentally, spiritually and emotionally finding your own way through life and learning to enjoy the questions than believing anything told you by someone else.

Following the standard Western Christian path we thought having the answers was important whereas the true value is in the questions. JWs fall into the western religious trap of desperatly seaking a short path to "God" .. but alas, there are no shortcuts to spiritual wealth, wisdom, happiness or contentment.

Life is a wonderful journey,

best wishes, unclebruce

• Englishman
    Englishman

Forrest Gump In the land of China, people hardly got nothing at all.

John Lennon No possessions?

Forrest Gump And in China they never go to church.

John Lennon No religion too?

Dick Cavett Ah. Hard to imagine.

John Lennon Well, it's easy if you try, Dick.

Englishman.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bruce:
    I don't think Christianity is in error wanting a "shortcut" to God (since it's less than a hair-breadth away, anyhow). I think the mistake is in expecting that to be the entire process. IMHO "connecting with the Divine" is merely the start of a very long "path".

LOL @ 666

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day little toe,

I don't claim to be any sort of expert on christian philosophy (but ozziepost has tried to enlighten me to the Angligan bigger picture). For me christianity fails, beyond the psycological relief of having ones percieved "sins" atoned for, to self empower its adherants the way eastern religions do. The bible is held to be the alpha and omega of all wisdom. That's fine for those who'd have someone else chew their meat for them (and regurgitate it back onto ones plate :)

Thanks for the eloquent paragraph and food for thought.

cheers, unclebruce

• gumby
    gumby

Well....a big top of the mornin to ya Unclegumtree chopper! Just to warn ya....ol' schizm don't take kindly to anyone messing withn his good buddy Emmanual (Jesus nickname untill he was about 30)

whereas the true value is in the questions.

I found this statement interesting. Tell me more. *jumps up and down all exited and stuff*

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit