Do you still Patronize Women?

by limbo 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• limbo
    limbo

I was thinking today about how Jehovah's Witnesses are conditioned to view women. I'm sure there have been many threads and discussions on this subject.

Just curious how you view women now that you are no longer a JW? Do you still consider them within the Watchtower's Subservient role? Do you think that your woman (girl friend, wife, lover etc). should be there when you need her, fix you dinner, clean up after you, look good, please you sexually and shut up when she should?

The Watchtower has always depicted the "dutiful wife" as the picture of perfection. Her role was for the convenience and comfort of her partner. I remember one Watchtower Artist's drawing of a "sensual" woman laying back on a bed in a fluffy robe and big hair...the caption was something like "do you seek your mates pleasure?"

The Watchtower presents their view of women being beneath man over and over within their pages:

"It is important that worshippers of God appreciate his view of leadership. The basic principle of headship is set out in 1 Corinthians 11:3 where it is written: ?The head of every men is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.?
    "A man had priority in human creation. He is given priority of position over the woman. The woman was made from a rib taken from the men. she was created for the sake of the man, not the man for her sake. Therefore, the woman, in God?s arrangement, was always to be in subjection to her husband and not to usurp his authority."

Ok, so we know that scientifically you can't yank a bone out of your body and turn it into the woman of your dreams.

How has this "balanced view of headship" affected the way you think of women now?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

LOL.. I doubt any man that thinks women should be subservient will speak up. I am curious though about the Christian men and women on this site. Do they follow the Bible's guidelines about man being the head of the woman.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am very relieved to be set free from the wtbts prison for women. It irks me to see any trace of this attitude in anyone.

• prophecor
    prophecor

A wonderful delicate balance has been brought to our relationship, she was never JW but I never gave her a good reason to give to a husband the proper respect that is due, we were diametrically opposed to each other religiously, and it wasn't until I began to seek other information from a spiritual vantage point that I was even able to acquire the proper attitude myself. Dr James Dobson who holds marriage enrichment seminars was responsible for helping me to see where it was I was going wrong, we have a greater enduring and lasting relationship now.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

No,,I don't at least I don't think so?,,, I don't know?,, you ladies be the judge of that. I think a women would be more sensitive to this and could judge better than me.

Once I started to question "Reality" and the "Bible" my whole destorted view of women changed pretty fast. In fact droping the bible as factual really improved my view of animals too.

It's a 2000 year old camel train way of living. We no longer believe the earth is the center of the universe,,men in today's world don't go around and club each other as much as they did in Paul's day. The bible is a good book for lingist and Historian to try to understand but in no way is it a book to live by.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Limbo I realize you're asking the men! But like the other ladies, I wanted to respond too. Lol! I never really noticed any of the sisters/wives being especially in subjection in the areas where I lived....

• avishai
    avishai
    should be there when you need her, fix you dinner, clean up after you, look good, please you sexually and shut up when she should?

Damn right!!!! And I should do exactly the same for her. Part of the problem today is that many of those things are looked on as bad for women to do. If there is equality it's fine. And necessary.

I NEVER wanted a subservient wife. My mom had a mouth on her (still does) and was a partner to my dad. I always thought having to tell someone what to do, etc., was a boring idea, plus in the end more work, not less. I am so glad I had my mouthy, unsubmissive, smart, business savvy mother instead of one of the watchtower drone, stepord wives to raise me. Thanks, mom! And , thanks, dad, for not being a typical JW asshole husband, and appreciating those qualities.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i was a good one for 18 yrs but then i got smart.. my ex is searching for a new wife in a pentacostal family. think one of those will be as submissive and quiet as i was?

my new man gets mad if i call him the head of the house. he says we're partners, equal in all things cept... why do i gotta do all the laundry? hmmmmmm..

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    I am so glad I had my mouthy, unsubmissive, smart, business savvy mother instead of one of the watchtower drone, stepord wives to raise me. Thanks, mom!

My son says this. His jw dad feels differently... LOL He just wanted the drone... He actually told me that he took the book The Stepford Wives as a serious cautionary tale that I should pay attention to... HUH?!

Too funny.

There are so many miserable down trodden women in that organization, and I don't know how any man can have a whole lot of respect for a woman that is afraid to make any contribution to the home besides keeping it clean, stroking her husbands ego, and popping out babies to indoctrinate.

My hubby much prefers being able to have an intelligent conversation with his wife, the ability to rely on my financial contribution, know that we are a partnership in maintaining the home and that I can help him to make educated decisions for the family, and still be wild in the bedroom too!

Seriously guys, given the option between the two, does the drone even appeal to you? <shudder>

Jean

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I promise never to give a woman a spanking unless she specifically requests one.

(Unless, of course, she obviously needed one due to excessive naughty behavior )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit