A Question for You

by individuals wife 28 Replies latest jw friends

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Just a couple of quick questions, the first directed at exJWs - could you ever see any reason for you to return to the organisation? What would have to happen for you to return? Under what circumstances would you ever go back?

And for current JWs - could you ever see any reason for you to leave the organisation and what would have to happen within the society that would cause you to leave? At what point would you say - no more?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I would never go back unless Jehovah starts talking directly to me. I am tired of the middle man.

A recovering Jehovah's Witness. Kinda like alcohol, but not as fun. Just ask J. Rutherford.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

IW;

I never would go back. Unless I could be king. (the last part is a joke)

HCM

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

When I was a young zealous JW, a friend and I asked ourselves that question a few times. The answer for both of us was, "I would NEVER leave The Truth. But IF I were to do so, it would be because I found incontrovertible proof that this wasn't God's Organization."

We're both out.

Now, the answer to going back is almost identical. "I would only go back if I found incontrovertible proof that it WAS God's Organization." My baptism wasn't made after such undeniable proof, but my return would require it, and at this point, nothing short of direct Divine Communication would suffice.

Hmmm

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi IW: You asked,

"...could you ever see any reason for you to return to the organisation? What would have to happen for you to return? Under what circumstances would you ever go back?

As things stand now, I see no possibilty of returning. But, if they were to remove their 'shunning' policy, I wuld certainly find a way to visit with many who were good friends and see if there was anything left to my relationship with them. I would also visit those I participated in disciplining or disfellowshipping and make amends if possible. If they chnaged their 'exclusive' and 'unique' teachings such that these were truly 'suggestions' or even no longer taught, I might regularly fellowship again if I could salvage certain relationships. But, I would never become a member again. This is not because I believe that membership is wrong, but that I never again want to be an 'official' member of any religion. I stay free and uncommitted to any human organization.

You also asked of current JWs,

"... could you ever see any reason for you to leave the organisation and what would have to happen within the society that would cause you to leave? At what point would you say - no more?"

I can still answer this because I can still envision myself being in the organization and what did cause me to leave. Reality finally caught up to the fantasy. Armageddon being so close was always just out of reach. The information became not just boring and repetitive, but seem to lack the excitement and enthusiasm and imminence of importance. The congregation governments became more and more political. Freedom to think and talk became more and more hindered. Policies such as DFing and shielding pedophiles became ever harder to justify. Suspecion of anyone and everyone potentiall being apostate became little more than a seige mentality. Double standards in allowing some to be treated lightly for transgressions against policy while others were given severe punishment for lesser transgressions. Biblical nonsense about prophecy and how to live real life. Bad policy that at times not only caused harm, but even led to some committing suicide. The estrangement of children from parents due to imposition of a religion on them that they could not accept, and discipline and pushing to perform where they as individuals could not conform. Lack of understanding what the real needs of children are, and thus causing children to rebel and do things that otherwise may not have been done had they been raised in a truly wholesome family environment. Finally, the obsession the WTS has in viewing sexual matters routinely in a negative light, with fear, suspecion, and hand-wringing over even minor affection between unmarried people. Any positive statement about sex was always confined to a brief and broad comments about its appropriateness confined to marriage. Not that this is a bad policy, but it is the only positive thing they ever say about sex.

Failed dates and incorrect prophecy were of themselves easier to justify if they had been contained to mere 'suggestions' that could be considered as 'speculation' that could be taken or left as one wished. But, the wholesale false prophecy combined with forced acceptance with the threat of being accused of apostasy was also too much to take in the end when I left with my family. - Amazing

• JanH
    JanH

iw,

could you ever see any reason for you to return to the organisation?

No.

What would have to happen for you to return?

Something like hell freezing over.

Under what circumstances would you ever go back?

Severe brain damage, perhaps.

Being a secular humanist and an atheist is not likely to be compatible with anything the WTS can be transformed into.

If I joined a real religion, it would be something like a form of Buddhism. But I stand quite far away from that, too.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• somebody
    somebody

hi individual's wife,

I would never ever go back. I have no doubt at all that I made the right decision leaving "it" years ago. The WBTS could never make all the needed changes to change from cult, to christian. To do so, would put them out of business. And I know that keeping their mult-billion dollar business is more imprortant than any human life is, to them.

peace,
    somebody

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i could never go back either

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
    None but ourselves can free our minds-Bob Marley

love
    harmony

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

I would never go back. There are no circumstances that I can imagine that would lead me to go back.

closer

Yesterday I saw a chicken crossing the road. I asked it why. It told me it was none of my business. -- Steven Wright

• regan
    regan

No WAY would I ever go back. I cannot even conceive of a circumstance or situation which would cause me to want to go back. But like another poster stated, I would love to seek out friends I once had when I was involved in the org. if they would someday drop their insane shunning policy.

C

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit