Fired! -- Now what do I do?

by Inkie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Inkie
    Inkie

I was fired. I can't believe it. It has come as a total shock. I've worked for four years for four attorneys, three of which who gave me excellent reviews. The one who didn't like me (and whom I didn't like) happened to be a litigator (the other three were not) and seemed to have more clout that the other three attorneys put together. The three non-litigators gave me excellent reviews. The litigator was a self-admitted "difficult" person to work for.

Anyway, my question is: When being interviewed and the interviewer asks that question, how do you answer it? How do you answer: "Why are you no longer employed with the other firm? Or, "Why did you choose to leave the other firm?" How do you answer these questions with intelligence? Do you just simply tell the truth: I was fired. Help, please.

Inkie

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

You could always come and help me find my wallet.

Seriously, I'm sorry.

Scoob

• Purza
    Purza

I guess it all depends on your circumstances. But you never, ever say that you were fired.

Depending on where you end up next, you could say something like "I no longer wanted to commute" or "wanted to try a different type of law" -- or something vague. I would go to the book store and look through the books about interviewing to help you find the right answer.

I am so very sorry. . .

Purza

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

You can always just say "it wasn't a good fit." And them tell them what you ARE looking for in a position. Interviewers appreciate someone who has a clear idea of what they want and state it in a positive way.

I was a legal secretary for many years and finally decided that what I really wanted was to be a legal administrator. I lucked out and found a position with a small law firm as the office manager/administrative assistant to a really cool, forward-thinking attorney. So now I can see from both sides of the fence -- I remember what it was like interviewing for a job and I try to apply that to my interviews to see what a person is really all about. I don't care if they were fired -- not every job is for every person -- what I care about is where they want to be. And I don't want to hear bullshit or be flattered. That can be spotted a mile away.

Good luck with your job hunt and don't be discouraged. You'll find what you want!

Hugs,

Nina

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Inkie,

I'm sorry to hear that you were fired. With over 23 years in the employment field, I have to strongly disagree with the advice given to never say that you were fired and perhaps make up some other explanation for it. If you do that and someone checks your references (which most employers do) you will never be hired because you started out with something less than honesty. And you don't know that word won't get around that you were fired but are trying to make it look like you left of your own accord. People aren't supposed to talk but they do and the smaller the town, the more likely this is to happen.

Were you not given a reason for your termination? No exit interview etc? If that is the case, call the firm's administrator or office manager and let them know that you need to know what the reason was. If you can't get an answer then you'll have to move on without one.

The other thing I would suggest that you do is contact the other attorneys you worked for and ask them for letters of recommendation. Then, when in an interview and the question comes up you can say that you were not given a reason but that 3 of the 4 attorneys you worked for have written LORs for you. That will give the interviewer the clear idea that it was something going on with one of the attorneys and not necessarily your work or your work relationships with people that caused your demise at the last place.

But whatever you do, don't disrespect your previous employer or the attorney who might have been the "difficult" one.

Good luck with your endeavors. It sounds like you were doing a lot right to have the majority of your supervisors give you excellent reviews. That didn't happen by accident and another employer will be lucky to have you.

XW

• LDH
    LDH

File for Unemployment insurance immediately if not sooner.. I agree from Cruzan, state the truth. A lie will find you. Also, you need to know that you have to fill out applications truthfully or risk losing your next job!

You can always do the safe thing and say your position was eliminated. That's what executives do.

Lisa

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    File for Unemployment insurance immediately if not sooner..

That's right! Your unemployments starts paying from the day you file your claim... NOT the day you loose your job.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Sorry to hear about your job loss. That really stinks......and just because of some "self serving" ..."legend in his own mind" person who doesn't care about anything but his own self.

You will find another job and it may be better than the one you lost.

Good luck.

HappyDad

How do you tell when a lawyer is lying? His lips are moving.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Further to Happydad's comment:

- Q.Where is the only place you will find a good lawyer?

- A. The cemetery!

• rekless
    rekless

If you work in a "right to Work State" firing isn't bad at all, because when you sign the employment application you will see there is a paragraph that states both you and the employer have the right to terminate employment at any time without giving notice. You just tell your future employer that your employment was terminated because of the right to work law. He possibly found someone else that would do the job cheaper. The past employer can not defame your character or give a bad referance. Good luck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit