Anybody With Sleep Apnea?

by prophecor 48 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and used a CPAP machine for several years. Over the past 18 months or so, I've lost about 160 pounds, and no longer require the CPAP. My wife informs me that I neither snore (which I used to do loudly) nor gasp for breath. Also missing is the nastiest symptom, which was nodding off at just about any time, including while driving (this stopped once I got on the CPAP).

While there are other causes of sleep apnea, as I understand it, obesity is one of the foremost ones. If the person suffering with it is significantly overweight, then that might be the first, best area to focus attention on (not to mention the other health and lifestyle benefits that come along with losing excess weight).

• Mulan
    Mulan

I'm pretty sure I have a form of it. I have awakened gasping for air, after dreaming I was drowning or being smothered. I also snore, (my hubby tells me) which is really embarrassing but only since I've gained weight. I am hoping I will stop snoring when I get this weight off. He realizes my snoring is just "pay back" for all the sleepless nights he's given me.

I've read that people who have this sleep apnea, never really sleep well. Even though they may sleep all night, it isn't the right kind of sleep.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

So *that's* what that is! I thought I was just having bad dreams about being suffocated, and vowed not to fall asleep to Court TV anymore... ehhheheh.

Country Girl

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I think I actually had it for a brief time when I lived in my apartment. I would wake up in a sudden panic because I wasn't breathing. It went away when I moved into my house.

My father has sleep apnea. He was taken to the hospital in an ambulance one morning because he wouldn't wake up. He sleeps with that machine now, and he sounds like an elephant (I think the mask is the wrong size).

• prophecor
    prophecor

Mulan, you can sleep for 12 hours and still not get the required rest. Snoring actually deprives the blood of valuable oxygen required to replenish the blood supply, when we snore during sleep, the brain is being robbed of some of necessary oxygen needed to get a restful sleep.

When the respiratory system shuts down on account of lock up, then no oxygen gets to the brain at all until the body during sleep, reflexes to briefly jolt you out of whatever little sleep you may've been getting, you never even notice it most times as you'll just immediately shift your body while in a state of semi-consciousness, just long enough for your body to try and re-adjust. This back and forth wake and sleeping can occur as many as 100 times during your sleep phase without your ever knowing anything about it.

If you can get treatment for it, I'd advise anyone to see their doctor as soon as possible. This disrupts the natural functioning of the heart, and has been responsible for early deaths due to heart attacks and strokes. High blood pressure is also associated with it.

It was reported that former Eagles pro-footballplayer Reggie White died a premature death from complications associated with Sleep Apnea. Snoring may seem like a simple laughing matter for some, however, for many, it's deadly serious stuff.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

A friend of mine was a terrible snorer. We were on a trip together and I could hear him snoring from the hotel room next door! Ugh. Kept me up all night. He was rather overweight, but his doctor also said a surgery could correct it. He had an overabundance of soft tissue around his uvula (the dangly thing at the back of your mouth). They lasered out the soft tissue and most of his uvula. His wife says he rarely snores now. He says he's definitely sleeping more soundly. He had to go through a sleep study in order to be diagnosed with the sleep apnea before insurance would pick up the tab.

Andi

• KKLUV155
    KKLUV155

My hubby has sleep apnea and sleeps with a CPAP. The doctor told him that when you stop breathing your heart slows down then when you wake up gasping for air your heart starts beating very fast. He said after about 10 years of this it causes damage to your heart weakening it. I greatly advise any one who thinks they have this to consult a doctor.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Yes you guessed it , I have sleep apnea and I sleep with a CPAP machine. I have had sleep apean for about 10years. I have an obstructive condition as well. I literally would stop breathing at night. It is very dangerous to have this occur because one could have a heart attack if it is bad enough.

In Ontario we have Adult Device Program which covers up to 75 % and if you have private insurance they will cover the rest. My Ontario Disability payed the for mine. It cost me nothing.

The machine costs 1600.00$ and you can get a new one every five years. I am on my second machine. They are great and I sleep alot better. The only draw back is that you can't use it if you are sick with any cold or respitory illness. As side from that they're terrific. The masks are very expensive so take care of the one you get with the machine. Because if it breaks it will cost well over 250.00 in Ontario. I am not sure if they are cheaper in the USA.

So if you believe you suffer from a sleeping disorder don't hesitate to go and spend the night and be assessed. It doesn't hurt or anything like that. You are all covered in little wire and electrodes and its hooked up to a moniter that records your sleep patterns.

So go already.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

wow... no, i don't have anything like that, but i'm sorry for anyone who does. it sounds awful.

• Moridin
    Moridin

Prophecor ... I'm paying out of pocket so can't afford all the treatment or even going to the sleep clinic to see how bad it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit