This is for ones not born in the truth

by vitty 12 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

How long did it take for you to revert back to your old ways of thinking, reasoning and attitudes from before you were a witnes

Eg I lived with my husband before we got married, then learned it was wrong. Now I see so many witness getting married too young (cos they want sex) that I dont think its such a bad idea. Again.!!

Is there anything youve doubled back on??

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I wasnt born in the troof. I got baptised at 17 because i had a baby at 16 and thought that that religion would make a happy family for us.

After being in it for about 9years it took me about a month to go back to my regular self, however i still have thoughts and scars from their teachings.

I still find it hard to say Bless You sometimes.

• Scully
    Scully

I'm with you on the premarital sex issue. I'd rather see one of my kids get married because they really love another person and know them well enough that they want to spend the rest of their life with this person. I want them to get married after they know that their partner is going to treat them like gold, never raise a hand or their voice to them and be a good parent to my grandchildren.

I think it's horrible that JWs compel pairs of horny teenagers to get married, when all they really want is to get laid before Armageddon?.

Love, Scully

• Jaypeeto
    Jaypeeto

My gosh, Stephanie!! Your comment about being uncomfortable saying Bless You to somebody has really brought back a memory for me from my Dub Days. I was taught that saying "God Bless You" to someone who sneezed was "displeasing to Jehovah." Nonetheless, I was in the habit of saying it, and one night at the Kingdom Hall this Sister sneezed really hard and I quickly said, God bless you. And people looked at me like I had just unleashed a bevy of demons!!! How silly !!

Love,

Jaypeeto

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    Nonetheless, I was in the habit of saying it, and one night at the Kingdom Hall this Sister sneezed really hard and I quickly said, God bless you. And people looked at me like I had just unleashed a bevy of demons!!! How silly !!

LMAO!

And now you have brought back a memory for me.

I remember my ex giving me a study, we were almost done when his mom came over. Neither of us were baptised but we studied together to get ready for our bible study. Anywho.... When we were done studing I closed the study with prayer!

She had a fit! lol And gave me the look you talked about........ Then came the long talk about how women arent supposed to pray when a man is present!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Oh yes, God forbit a woman should express her personal opinion in the presence of men!

That attitude is still alive and well within the WTBTS.

DY

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I wasn't born into the organisation, but became involved with it at the age of sixteen and didn't leave until twenty years later. Because I was in for most of my adult life, I haven't been able to just revert back to the way I was (I think that would be impossible, due to the fact that maturity has changed me a lot, anyway, and would have even if I wasn't JW all those years). I am slowly examining the teachings I received as a JW, and I'm learning to not fear the horrible retributions the WTS claims befalls all "apostates." I am also learning how events in my life and my family background made me vulnerable to the Witnesses when they came knocking on my door.

All of this has taken hard work,a big dose of patience, and some very helpful people I've met along the way. I wish I could just "get over it," but it's going to take time to undo a lot of faulty learning that I was exposed to for so many years, years that are the very years when people form their adult personage.

There are some things I may never get over, and I'm going to have to come to terms with that. But I am doing my best not to become trapped by fear or disillusionment. Sometimes I've had to force myself to do things, but I'm usually glad I've done them after the initial fear of doing them is over and I find that I'm still standing.

• kls
    kls

Stef wrote: I wasnt born in the troof. I got baptised at 17 because i had a baby at 16 and thought that that religion would make a happy family for us.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I’m still in the Org. If I left I wouldn’t change what I do very much. Becoming a JW probably saved me from a life of debauchery and an early death (lung cancer, etc.). No longer accepting the WTS to be God’s organization does not mean one abandons faith in God or wants to live a Biblically immoral life.

FM

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

no frair mind,not smoking saved your lungs,not the WTBTS.Its all about personal choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit