Questions No JW has answered

by 144001 27 Replies latest jw friends

Many times I have asked my JW relatives questions that they've been unable to answer with anything other than, "good question, I'll get back to you on that." For some reason, they never actually do get back to me on them. So, now here's the opportunity for the Jehovah's Witnesses and their supporters on this forum to either answer some of these questions or concede that they have no answer. If anyone can think of additional questions of this nature, please feel free to add them to this thread.

1. Why are blood transfusions forbidden but organ transplants are "a matter of conscience," thereby allowing one to receive an organ transplant without fearing judicial committee penalties? My family doctor advises that it is impossible to excise all blood from a donor organ. Accordingly, the recipient of a donor organ will inevitably receive at least some of the donor's blood, directly into the blood stream, in a manner equivalent in nature to that of an actual blood transfusion. Based on my understanding of the the scriptures interpreted by the Jehovah's Witnesses as supporting their ban on blood transfusions, there is no "de minimis" exception set forth therein that would allow blood transfusions if the quantity of blood transfused was small or even very small. Can anyone explain this logical inconsistency?

2. Smoking is forbidden based on scripture admonishing us to avoid "defiling" our bodies. Why do the Jehovah's Witnesses permit their members to consume as much saturated fats and other foods known to be responsible for heart disease as they choose, while banning smoking? Heart disease is one of the leading killers in our country, and medical research indicates a strong correlation between a diet high in saturated fats and heart disease. Is this a case of discrimination by the governing body against only some practices that "defile" the body, while allowing other practices that "defile" the body but are more politically correct within the organization? I see no logical basis to ban one and not the other.

I have more questions of this nature, but this is a good start. OK, Jehovah's Witnesses and their advocates, here's your chance to answer the questions I'm still waiting for your peers to "get back to me" on.

• blondie
    blondie

I will mention a point about question 2, the WTS emphasizes the spritistic aspect of smoking not the health aspects as the basis for DFing. In this case the word "clean" is meant spiritually.

*** w73 6/1 pp. 338-339 Keeping God?s Congregation Clean in the Time of His Judgment ***

As has been explained in other issues of this magazine, the Greek word phar·ma·ki´a used by Bible writers and translated "practice of spiritism" or "spiritistic practices" has the initial meaning of "druggery." (Gal. 5:20; Rev. 9:21) The term came to refer to spiritistic practices because of the close connection between the use of drugs and spiritism. Tobacco was also used initially by the American Indians in this way. It can properly be placed, therefore, in the category of addictive drugs like those that provided the source for the Greek term phar·ma·ki´a. The nicotine in tobacco does not have the same mental and emotional effects produced by "hard" drugs such as heroin or the so-called psychedelic drugs like LSD; yet nicotine addiction does definitely affect the mind and exercises a strong enslavement. In Europe at the close of World War II, in some instances cigarettes were worth more than money. Reportedly, prostitutes sold themselves for a few cigarettes, and ordinary people sacrificed even food ration coupons to obtain tobacco.

g78 1/8 p. 28 Why Not Smoke? ***

Consider a further point. Nicotine addiction affects the mind detrimentally and produces enslavement. Hence, it may be classed with addictive drugs, such as those that provided the source for the Greek term pha·ma·ki´a, initially meaning "druggery." Due to the close connection between drug use and spiritism, this Greek word came to be associated with spiritistic practices. In fact, it was used by Bible writers and has been rendered "practice of spiritism" and "spiritistic practices" in passages that clearly condemn spiritism. (Gal. 5:20, 21; Rev. 9:20, 21) Therefore, persons who have not broken their addiction to tobacco do not qualify for baptism in symbol of an acceptable dedication to God.

• Will Power
    Will Power

I'll start....seems easy cause none of their rules are based on principals, ethics, or common sense but on control, isolation and quackery.

1) Since it is the organ that is being used to sustain the life and not the blood, it is not considered eating the blood for sustinence. The same reason goes for twins that share blood in the womb.

2) Since we base all of our rules on how things "look" eating unhealthy food doesn't get much notice. The humungus butts don't get noticed because it is considered by some to be sexually attractive so you must not lay your eye upon...Yesterday on the news I heard obesity is close to taking over smoking as the leading cause of preventable death.

Sometimes this question gets a hemmin & hawwing..... "how many saviours are there?"

will

• Will Power
    Will Power

Blondie:

there is alot of evidence to support that some people even get addicted to God - some need to be hospitalized cause of all the guilt, shame, etc, that people use god to inflict on others.

wp

• blondie
    blondie

Hi, will power, I just want people to realize that smoking is not primarily a physical health issue according to the WTS but a drug problem they consider connected with spiritism. I'm sure there are other addictions such as alcohol, food, religion, etc. In the case of alcohol, the Bible does not condemn the use of alcohol, just the misuse. The same is true of food. The WTS does not approach the use of tobacco the same way; any use is considered bad because in their opinion it is part of spiritism. So in order to defuse the WTS teaching, you have to approach it on the basis of whether or not tobacco is connected with "spiritism."

How are things going in your area?

Blondie

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    nicotine addiction does definitely affect the mind

Have these guys never taken a cold pill? Cough syrup? And don't even bring up prescription narcotics. If spiritism's the issue, why are these drugs ok? "Serve a medicinal purpose" is a pretty weak excuse for opening yourself up to demon possession!

Of course, they would counter that a christian shouldn't become "enslaved" to these things, either. And if a Christian did find he was addicted to such things and refused to break the addiction, he would be subject to disfellowshipping. (Though I don't know offhand of any cases of a brother being DF'd for Contac abuse.)

Not to say smoking's a good thing. But there's lots of bad things that aren't forbidden by God's word.

Thanks for bringing up the spiritism side of things, Blondie. I forgot about "druggery".

Dave

• Will Power
    Will Power

Hi blondie - you did hear that around my house you are considered a.....I think the word used was knucklehead. I posted the exact term of endearment a while back. LOL. I sure wish you & yours could come to my house for dinner one day. Let me know if you are ever in my "area".

I realize the "spirit" connection they try to make and all, but they have a very hard time with consistency IMO, or their OWN beliefs for that matter. It all comes back to what "other people" might think or say. If you believe in one god, and your god believes in one god, how can between the two of you accidently be worshipping or even acknowledging another gods? So, Jesus created a bizzillion spirit creatures, after he created himself, lol, then him & lucifer had a big fight cause lucifer wanted to be king honcho, so they picked sides - each a "captain" of their own team. Fantasy. Their whole belief system is spiritism & the promotion of.

• Mary
    Mary
    Why are blood transfusions forbidden but organ transplants are "a matter of conscience," thereby allowing one to receive an organ transplant without fearing judicial committee penalties?

Answer: Because the Governing Body says so.

Smoking is forbidden based on scripture admonishing us to avoid "defiling" our bodies. Why do the Jehovah's Witnesses permit their members to consume as much saturated fats and other foods known to be responsible for heart disease as they choose, while banning smoking?

Answer: Because the Governing Body says so.

I've got a question for them: Why is it okay to drink alcohol "in moderation", but it's not okay to buy a lottery ticket "in moderation"?

• filip
    filip

you also get addicted to coffee. Maybe, a long time ago in the ancient village Kafé in Africa, where coffee origins from, they were using coffee in a spritual ceremony to open up for the demons... lol

I think they drink A LOT of coffe on bethel, while studying 10 hours per day...

• filip
    filip
    I've got a question for them: Why is it okay to drink alcohol "in moderation", but it's not okay to buy a lottery ticket "in moderation"?

let me guess... because they "say so" ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit