CAN WE TRUST ANYBODY?

by stillajwexelder 23 Replies latest jw friends

• limbo
    limbo

Hello everyone,

I couldn't help but "limbo" in (parden the pun) on this discussion.

Trust is a whopper of a topic. I'm sure everyone here could write volumes on the subject.

As Jehovah's Witnesses, we were taught warned NOT to trust the world. We were told that the world hates us and if given the opportunity they would hurt us even kill us. We also were told to trust our fellow witnesses. (for if we could not trust our brothers then who could we trust?)

Remember the announcements before our conventions?

"Brothers and Sisters we want to remind you to keep an eye on your personal belongings. Do not keep your handbags or expensive items such as video recorders or cameras on your seats. Not because of our Brothers and Sisters, but because of "outsiders" who may be mingling amongst us"

We also were taught admonished not to get too close to our "worldy relatives." They too did not have our best interests at heart.

The funny thing is we listened. We totally trusted that what the brother said from the platform came straight from the pages of the Watchtower (notice I didn't use Bible here), which came straight from the Faithful and Discreet Slave, which came straight from Heaven...from God Himself. If we mistrusted our brother, we were essentially mistrusting God.

If we couldn't trust God then who could we trust?

I venture to say that everyone reading this at some point in their life stopped trusting their spiritual brother. Which meant (even temporarily) they doubted God. We were already trained NOT to trust anyone outside of the Organization. So here we all are. Most of whom have lost trust IN the Organization.

Not much left is there? Our spouse, Our dog/cat?

This topic means a lot to me. I went from trusting everyone (I even trusted in the human nature of "worldly people")...to trusting NOone.

There has to be some sort of middle ground. It can't be all or nothing.

Here's a point of view I found that deserves some discussion:

• prophecor
    prophecor

Limbo, going back into the history channel, I am so glad to have found your first post here that you Limbo'ed N2. You put so much of what your heart speaks of yourself, your loss, the energy that brought you to us, I applaud your efforts.

Your words although painful, were so beautiful. Thanks for coming in and sharing. Though I wasn't looking 4U, I am so glad to have found you, and your first entry.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I try to give everyone at least 20% trust credit on account. On account'a what, you ask? On account'a that is who and what I am. I also trust my own instincts to a pretty high degree, and will adjust that initial credit either way by as much as 40%, depending on what I pick up on from the person.

Then there is what I'll call the "intent factor" that modifies it a little in either direction. For instance, I understand what my JW parent's intent would be in spiritual discussions and trust them slightly less because of it. In other areas, I would trust them slightly more. There are not many people that I trust unconditionally and unreservedly - as in, letting them know my PIN numbers and such would not give me a moment's pause. And while I grant them my complete trust, I do so with absolute knowledge that they have the potential to betray me.

I know that some believe that it is impossible to acknowledge that potential and still trust completely but I can choose to willingly accept that risk. I am not gullible, credulity and trust are not the same.

But, then, I have access to a personal financial account of a former workmate. We were complete strangers when I started working there but I earned his complete trust. He doesn't even question whether I might abuse his trust. He has placed his trust well, I would never intentionally abuse his trust in any way and I exercise great care to avoid unintentionally doing so. Is he a fool to trust?

I have come to believe that people will tend to live up to or down to reasonable expectations. That is not an absolute, by any means, but I think the tendency runs that way.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Nothing is granted to me (people do change for a reason or an other nor are acting different on different matters) - it's an everyday job of enquieries)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit