The Tobacco Bombshell

by Dogpatch 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Note the last line in the post: "The author wishes to remain anonymous". It's not Randy's own story, in case it was thought to be....

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hello Randy:

Thanks so much for posting this story for the "Anonymous" author. I know how much it means to him to be able to tell his story. He has been driven for such a long time to get this story out because his biggest hope and desire in telling his story is of helping others understand the full impact that this "bombshell" in the guise of "new light" had on those directly involved in the tobacco industry. He deeply hopes that sincere-hearted ones will be moved to start searching for more information about the many inconsistencies and errors in the JW teachings, as well as the unloving, uncaring, heavy-handed methods of those who are supposed to be kind and nurturing shepherds.

My only knowledge of the tobacco industry at that time was that it had been a popular source of income for regular and special pioneers during the growing and harvesting season, so I never really thought too much about this at the time it was happening. I remember feeling like AMNESIAN posted:

I vividly recall what a jolt of self-righteous specialness and holy-spirit-directed warmth electrified our JW community with the announcement of the new no-tobacco edict that night at the Service Meeting.

But of course the loss the tobacco farmers felt was best described by the author's words below..."robbed"... because the WTS's pressure on everyone to get out of the business in such a short time didn't allow him, and many others like him, the needed time to sell their farms without having to resort to "giving" them away. Some that tried to stay and grow different crops had to have enough money to purchase different farming equipment only to find the soil was just not suitable and ended up losing everything.

What happened, of course, is now hindsight, but shows what can happen when a policy is recklessly enforced without due consideration for people?s personal circumstances. We were robbed of the potential appreciated value of a lifetime investment, which in the end is a farmer?s only retirement nest egg. This demonstrates a calloused attitude by these men in authority.

"Anonymous" hopes that those who lived during that time, both exJWs, JWs still attending and any contemplating becoming a JW, will read his story and recognize the callous, unloving pattern the WTS has used time and time again ..... that is the using the "fear of displeasing God", being disfellowshipped, losing one's family and friends, and ultimately losing one's life at Armageddon.

Thanks again Randy for posting this story for the anonymous author.

Had Enough

• aojumper
    aojumper

This was a wonderfully written post, my hear goes out to you. Thank you so much for telling your story, it was beautifully written.

K

• Will Power
    Will Power

Another one of many tragic life stories that the WT has been behind.

It amazes me that the words "fell into apostasy" seem to excuse the WT somewhat. During every time period there is some coming in and some going out. During the coming in period the WT is the truth and their organization & GB represents God. Eventually because of the lack of love (the true characteristic) this org & its leader MEN are exposed and said to have fallen into apostasy with their 2 scales, pharasical sp? ways etc.

As if they were at one time anything other than man made.

Thank you for posting this. Stories like these NEED a wider and more OUTSIDE audience.

wp

• mouthy
    mouthy

So sad to read. But yes I remember it well. I DID quit smoking to get baptised( the ONLY thing I am grateful for.).... But I too remember people who were sales girls & had to quit their jobs-because they could not sell the cigs.

Randy!!!!!Your a Dandy!!!! I wonder if you realize just how many people you have unshakled????

Talk about a FREEDOM fighter >>>>>Your the man...I LOVE you so much because you were instumental in helping me see the light ...When I met you at PA ((((((((HUGS))))

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Randy,

Really enjoyed that story,i could almost feel the stress some of these people went through at that time.I hope someday to be able to give you my story,along with a letter from the local body of elders that reeks of hypocrisy.Anyways keep up your good work,I am among those you have helped.Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit