Dogpatch

Danny Haszard sez;"I worked 20 years in the union construction
    trades made a bundle of money and had it all swindled by the $ociety.I
    believed in my heart of hearts that i would NEVER need it to retire
    on."

http://www.dannyhaszard.com

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I hope Lady Lee links this on one of the "Best of" threads....

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Randy,

Thanks for posting this. I was aware of this policy (of getting out of the tobacco business or else), but not living in an area where it was grown, I'd never thought much about it until now.

It was a great read, and reminded me of all the "policies" that get handed down, and how some of them have a profound effect on folks.

---Dan

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Powerful, sad and shocking. Thank you for posting this, Randy.

I vividly recall what a jolt of self-righteous specialness and holy-spirit-directed warmth electrified our JW community with the announcement of the new no-tobacco edict that night at the Service Meeting.

Amazingly (and shamefully, I'm now feeling), it is while reading this wrenching personal account, that I realize how compliance with this "new light" so tragically impacted a certain segment of JWs of whom I had absolutely no awareness in my brand-spanking, just-dried-off daze as a thoroughly-devoted new believer.

Because the area in which we served our time as JWs was 100% metropolitan/suburban, nicotine withdrawal and the possible jeopardizing of certain kinds of retail employment were pretty much the extent of dire consequences suffered by the few we knew of affected at all, I am stricken to my core by what you present here. I simply had no idea and have never, until now, learned anything that exposed how abusively this "adjustment" was executed against those whose livelihood depended on the tobacco industry.

"Bombshell!" indeed, in more ways than one: violently destructive for its victims and eye-opening for the uninformed.

Again, thanks for posting.

AMNESIAN

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I remember a Latino brother who loved the organization and the friends, and when they came out with the 6-month ultimatum in 1973 on quitting smoking, he could not quit and was disfellowshipped. He was so devastated, I felt so bad for him. When I was a teenager at 17 I smoked a pack a day and tried quitting many times without success. I remember the day I broke down and cried, just started studying with the Witnesses. "I CAN'T QUIT." I didn't even ask for healing. The WT ban on smoking came a year later I believe.

I can't explain it but from that day forward I woke up and never had the desire for a cigarette again. A miracle? To me, yes. But most of the time you never see that. Addiction is very powerful, and cigarettes are among the worst, alongside alcohol and other drugs. The problem is, you don't get to pick your personal miracles. Life can be harsh, and to demand such conformity can be devastating to many people. I get their emails every day. Damn the authoritarians!

Randy

• Poztate
    Poztate

There was a small mom & pop corner store owned by a witness couple in my town. A large part of their business was selling tobacco products as did all small corner stores to survive.

They were given the ultimatum to quit selling tobacco or be DF'ed. They felt they could not quit as they were older and this was all they knew how to do to make a living. They were both DF'ed.

The local newspaper got hold of the story and ran it with a very sympathetic viewpoint to the couple and highly critical of the bOrg.The bOrg did far more harm than good for themselves by their jack booted approach to this couple.

The couple kept a copy of the newspaper article taped to the inside of their front door for a few years after that.I am sure it kept all the dub's from calling and served as a further witness? to all the community.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

That is truly amazing Randy and thanks so much for sharing. After I read your post I linked to the post on Smoking and the affilation with the the Philip Morris comp, Wow that was a lot of reading. Well should it suprise us that the WTBTS is once again showing its true self.

I feel so sad for those families that were so badly affected by the ruling of the Governing Body. I wonder how many of them GB voted against this enforced decsion. Yes how could they have families lives so shattered. To the point where families investments are taken from them. Everything is always so hush hush and like you said meetings with CO, and DO and the organization itself are eager to protect themselves at the cost of destroying peoples lively hoods. The mere fact they refuse to be recorded for fear of reprecutions. They don't want law suits. Mind you I wonder if any of the Tabbacco Farmers ever sued the WTS for their livlihood. Its all well and dandy for them to do what ever they want and keep it secret until someone brave enough like Barbara Anderson exposes their inner corruption and deceit.

You are right they have much to explain to God when judgement comes. Yes their constant flip flop ways have wreaked havoc with the lives of wonderful loving people. I chocked when I learned of their association with deadly fossil fuels, their constant meddling in of peoples lives and their blatant disregard for human life by being associated also with the Philip Morris Company. Who are they trying to fool? Do they think all JWs' where blinders? They never learn, like the UN deception. The blood issue in Bulgaria, the lives of thousands of witnesses lost in Malawi, while Mexico was free of persection and people lives where fine. But they gave briberies to officals and to the GB that was fine. How do they justify this with Christ. Christ would never approve of their ways. They have completely and utterly disregarded the word of God for their own ways rules and man made regualtions.

This person and all persons should be outraged by the conduct of the WTS.

Orangefatcat

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Great letter Randy thanks!

After a lifetime of indoctrination by an organization, that claims to represent God?s interest on earth; that we are to trust and not question its direction and validity, has a very disarming effect on one?s ability to reason. Believing this is God?s organization, we yielded, believing this was the right thing to do. This is really, believing with blind trust and manipulation by fallible men. After a lifetime of being on ?red alert?, trusting, waiting for Armageddon, one wakes up in shock and disbelief. How was it possible to become so easily entrapped in gullibly trusting and following the direction of mere men?

Powerful words and heartfelt by so many XJW's at least I know I ask myself often how could I have been so blind and entrapped.

Whew.........think I'll go have a smoke.

• cab1000
    cab1000

Thank you for the great read!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Randy - I'm so sorry about what happend. I remember the WT article about farmers who would have to give up their livelihood, but I just didn't understand the impact. Question: Since the tobacco fiasco occurred in the early seventies, how did you end up in Bethel? Didn't you have serious doubts when you entered Bethel? As I remember, you were there in 1981 when Ray Franz was kicked out. Just wondering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit