"Do what I say, not what I do" witnesses

by JH 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I remember elders giving talks and giving good advice they didn't even keep themselves.

Saying, don't listen to this or that kind of music, and when they get in their cars, that's exactly what's playing on the radio, or when they said to obey the law and then they go faster than the speed limit and say it's OK, I'm just following the other cars.

Do you have any other examples of "do what I say, not what I do" witnesses?

• melmac
    melmac

HEHE! I used to get mad because I tried to follow the WT's advice on music, and guess what the elder's sons used to listen...?

Edited to add:

Same for movies, of course!

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I was looking forward to doing a demonstration one Thursday night. I usually wore very long skirts, but tonight I wanted to look professional, so wore a suit with a knee-longth skirt.

During the meeting, I had a hard time keeping it down because my toddler was squirming all over my lap, you know, one hand on the skirt and one hand on the baby at all times (that's why I wore long skirts). Nothing obscene, just some skin a little over the knee.

Soon before my part, I was tapped on the shoulder, brought to the back, and told someone else would be doing my part because my skirt was too short. I looked down, verifying that my skirt was barely below my knees while standing. I didn't see what the problem was, since I would be standing for the part. There were many skirts there every meeting the length mine was.

But of course I didn't argue; I was too mortified. But the kicker was, guess who replaced me? The elder's wife, with a skirt SHORTER than mine!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    But the kicker was, guess who replaced me? The elder's wife, with a skirt SHORTER than mine!

Figures. Probably his wife saw him staring at your legs, which are probably much better looking than her own. She undoubtedly gave him shit and insisted that she be allowed to do the part.

Walter

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My dad,the good elder,once gave me sage words of advice:"You can do what ever you want here,just don`t get caught."...OUTLAW

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

I remember the elders telling me not to do things that their sons were guilty off. To be honest so did I. I used to be a ministerial servant and I would give my talks about not doing worldly things and keeping away from worldly friends but right after the meetings I would go out with my friends from college. So I guess I was living a double life.

• Been there
    Been there

At my cousins wedding years ago my very, very, very tipsy JW aunt told me I should'nt be smoking.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    I didn't see what the problem was, since I would be standing for the part.

Well he was enjoying looking at your legs while your were sitting! If you stood for 5 min he'd have to pay attention to the meeting! As long as you were sitting he had something else to occupy his mind!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Do you have any other examples of "do what I say, not what I do" witnesses?

Many - but the elders are supposed to pick brothers for talks who have freeness of speech on the quality they are counselling on - in other words if you have a public talk on Hospitatlity the elder giving the talk should be a good example in this regard

• dh
    dh

Like the elders who give talks about not gossipping, when their wives do it all the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit